JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have not read any posts besides the OP"s yet. Ain't anyone gonna change my mind on this subject so's I might as well state my opinions and then read the rest of the responses.
Big revolver? 500 Mag.
This is an incredible cartridge. Horsepower beyond all reasonable expectations. My 5" ported revolver went 2000fps with Hornady 350gr XTP factory ammo and 1300+fps with 400gr Speer JSPs. Videos showed how much recoil was directed thru my shoulders, then to my whole body! It was cool!
My absolute favorite? Hands down, 41 Mag. If you're not a handloader you're limited by the factory options. If you are a handloader, this is more than enough cartridge for anything, really. The 44 Mag is much easier to find guns and factory ammo for and is indeed a very capable cartridge, but I like the 41 better.
Then there's the one Magnum I still own, the 357. The versatility for the 357 Mag/38 Special combination has been lauded to the high heavens for ages and is nearly unmatched. My carry gun with 357s in it is a snappy little beast, but with 38 Specials in it is pleasant enough to shoot that my grandson started shooting it at age 10 or 11 and declared it his favorite handgun.

My old neighbor when I lived in Portland had a brace of 460 revolvers. He used to shoot them at the sametime. I am not sure how accurate he was but the concussion was impressive. Pictures taken show more fireball than revolver. I can't imagine too much more recoil until you go to rifle cartridge handguns.

My old neighbor when I lived in Portland had a brace of 460 revolvers. He used to shoot them at the sametime. I am not sure how accurate he was but the concussion was impressive. Pictures taken show more fireball than revolver. I can't imagine too much more recoil until you go to rifle cartridge handguns.
My 460 throws pretty good fireballs but my 500 is not too far behind. Here's the 500 making some noise, haven't been able to capture the 460 on camera yet, it's a much quicker flash and even in slow mo it's too much for a cell phone camera.
3E1AC24D-B226-4411-9831-80068CE5330C.png

I have a .357 Security-Six that shoots fairly easy. I can shoot it one handed if necessary. I also got a wild hair (one of many) and for chitz and giggles picked up a Raging Judge that shoots .410/45LC/.454 Casull and there is no way in hell I'd consider shooting it one handed. I don't even think I could hold it out in front of me one handed long enough to get sighted it's so heavy. There is a significant jump in recoil betwixt the two so if you're seeking "heavy and powerful" then .357 is probably not what you're looking for.
I agree about the weight of that beast. I own one, too, and I really like the versatility with the different ammo options, but the weight requires both hands. Probably better that way anyways when shooting .454. It's punishing.

I'm somewhere between a novice and intermediate shooter, finding as I try new guns a clear preference for heavy and powerful ones. With rifles, I've bought, tried, and sold a few, ending up with a Mosin and a milled-receiver RPK that clocks in some 15lb without ammo. With shotguns, I don't own any but regularly borrow from a relative's collection, particularly favoring a 10ga Benelli. With handguns, I recently amassed four CZ derivatives - a 9mm Jericho 941, 40SW Baby Eagle, 45ACP Baby Eagle, and a 10mm EAA Witness Hunter - and recently put the 45 up for sale or trade, specifically for a 357 or bigger revolver. I've gotten a few offers and am looking for some advice to guide my choice.

I'm aware of the most popular bigger calibers for wheelguns - 357mag, 45LC, 44mag - and also of what's theoretically out there in the Hand Cannon class - 454 Casull, 500 SW, 460 SW mag....What I don't know much about is how common the bigger ones are, and whether there's any meaningful difference between them other than a steady scale of increasing power, noise, and cost. Are they all rare and expensive exotics, or is there some big revolver caliber that's particularly common, affordable, or otherwise a better choice over the others?
Dan Wesson 44 mag.

I'll be the odd guy... .41 Magnum. It can be had in both single and double action revolvers and also in a few lever guns. More oomph than the .357, not quite as much as the .44. Ammo isn't ridiculously hard to come by and the recoil is manageable.
Second the .41 Magnum. Recoil isn't excessive, hits hard enough with 210gr bullets and not too expensive to reload.

I love my Colt Anaconda. Bought new in 93' for $550. Definitely not a safe queen, has spent many many miles on my side hiking and hunting. 21 grains of 2400 over a wide metplat 240 gr bullet cast at .431, same load both my Marlins eat. Not for a guy with little weak hands, your palm says HELLO! when you pull the trigger.

I love my Colt Anaconda. Bought new in 93' for $550. Definitely not a safe queen, has spent many many miles on my side hiking and hunting. 21 grains of 2400 over a wide metplat 240 gr bullet cast at .431, same load both my Marlins eat. Not for a guy with little weak hands, your palm says HELLO! when you pull the trigger.
2400 goes together with the .44 like cheese on crackers.
I bought one of the new Anaconda's (8" barrel). Fine looking revolver but sold it and bought a 7 1/2" barrel FA. I load using a custom 289gr GC mold also sized to .431 and Ramshot Enforcer powder.
Bullet is designed to sit out further for less "jump" into the rifling but I can't use it in my Browning B92 unless I seat it over the front driving band.
I also have a FA .41 Magnum and will be casting for that when I get my mold from Arsenal Molds

I'm somewhere between a novice and intermediate shooter, finding as I try new guns a clear preference for heavy and powerful ones. With rifles, I've bought, tried, and sold a few, ending up with a Mosin and a milled-receiver RPK that clocks in some 15lb without ammo. With shotguns, I don't own any but regularly borrow from a relative's collection, particularly favoring a 10ga Benelli. With handguns, I recently amassed four CZ derivatives - a 9mm Jericho 941, 40SW Baby Eagle, 45ACP Baby Eagle, and a 10mm EAA Witness Hunter - and recently put the 45 up for sale or trade, specifically for a 357 or bigger revolver. I've gotten a few offers and am looking for some advice to guide my choice.

I'm aware of the most popular bigger calibers for wheelguns - 357mag, 45LC, 44mag - and also of what's theoretically out there in the Hand Cannon class - 454 Casull, 500 SW, 460 SW mag....What I don't know much about is how common the bigger ones are, and whether there's any meaningful difference between them other than a steady scale of increasing power, noise, and cost. Are they all rare and expensive exotics, or is there some big revolver caliber that's particularly common, affordable, or otherwise a better choice over the others?
I love big bore revolvers as you can see I have a couple. After this picture I have a couple more. The ones in the upper right are 460s and a 500. They really aren't that bad as you can buy some ammo that is a little tamer. I have several grandkids that shoot these big revolvers also

20200321_185210.jpg

I love big bore revolvers as you can see I have a couple. After this picture I have a couple more. The ones in the upper right are 460s and a 500. They really aren't that bad as you can buy some ammo that is a little tamer. I have several grandkids that shoot these big revolvers also

View attachment 1392398
Super Redhawks are wonderful revolvers, what calibers are they?

I would say 44 Mag too. It's quite a bit more powerful than 10mm. And note that if you settled on something extra strong like a Redhawk, then you could safely shoot extra heavy loads from Buffalo Bore and others, or from your own reloading bench. I say "safely", meaning safe for the revolver. Not necessarily safe for the shooter. For older shooters it can be enough recoil to cause a retinal tear.

SafeFire indoor range in Camas rents all kinds of guns and likely has a 44M revolver. Why not take a couple of your friends over there some time and try before you buy ?

.44 sp and 44 mag ammo

If you are new to .44mag I suggest starting off with .44sp. With the right bullet type these can give you .357mag power levels, about 500 ft. lbs but with a much fatter heavier bullet. Excellent for self defense, or hunting deer or black bear at about 75 yards or less. Little more recoil than .357 mag when shot in a full size steel .44mag gun. Here's my favorite .44sp woods carry load. Or hunting load too if I still hunted these days, for any unscoped .44mag.

These are 521 ft lbs. (probably from a 6" to 7.5" barrel.) (According to one reviewer will shoot through 8" of pine boards.)
I buy these direct from Grizzly, which is a NW manufacturer. However Midway shows a photo of the ammo. And has a huge range of other .44sp ammo available, from $1 each up for practice or cowboy ammo. For urban SD against people where less penetration is desired choose one of the HPs.

For hunting any animal found in Oregon including elk at distances up to 150 yards I'd suggest the Garrett.44mag 310 grain Hammerhead for most full size steel revolvers including all the SW 29s and 629s. This is an unusually accurate full power hunting load. Its said to be able to deliver 1" groups at 50 yards with accurate revolvers. This presumably means from Random Rest or from Bench Rest by a good shooter with a scoped gun. 2" at 50 yards is about the best you see with other cartridges . That is 2" groups vs 4" groups at 100 yards.

Note that with a 100 yard zero this cartridge is 2" high at 50 yards
and 8.5" low at 150 yards shot from a 7.5" barrel.

For those with full size very strong revolvers with long cylinders such as the Ruger Redhawk, and Super Redhawk , Colt Anaconda, etc, but not any SWs, and who can handle the recoil, you also have the option of the Garrett .44mag+P 330 grain Hammerhead:

Here's an article explaining the design elements of the Hammerhead bullet that give it greater penetrating and accuracy:
Garrett Hammerhead cartridges cost $2 each, and shipping is reasonable.

For economical practice ammo see
Which is our own @oremike

Last Edited:
Super Redhawks are wonderful revolvers, what calibers are they?
Ruger Super Redhawks in standard version are available in .44 mag, .454Cassull, 10 mm semiauto, and .480 Ruger. The .44mags of course also shoot .44 sp. And the .454 Cassull also shoots .45 Colt and .45 Colt +P. The latter is equivalent to the .44mag, giving a cartridge much easier to control than the .454 Cassull but with a fatter bullet than the .44mag.

A great virtue of these guns is the system for mounting a scope. The guns come with Ruger rings that allow mounting scope using the grooves in the receiver. This means you can mount the scope on the receiver or remove the scope without altering the back sights.

The Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan, which is the same gun but in a snubby version, comes in .44mag, .454 Cassull, and .480 Ruger:

475 Linebagh is the best "Big Bore" for a revolver, in my opinion.

I used to be in love with the 500 S&W when it came out, until I found out that they can't be shot a lot. A friend of mine went through two. S&W stood behind them until they sent him a third, and they sent a letter with that one, that they would not warranty another one. They will flame-cut the top strap if shot a lot. He sold his third one.

I still shoot my old Super Redhawk 44 most. Never had much use for anything else.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top