JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The S&W 629 a true work horse 44 mag 5 in minimum so it is not to spicy you have your choice to use 44 special mild to 44 mag 309 gr . 1679613976341.png

I have always wanted a 329PD, that was until I got to shoot one. Then I realized I need one, I really don't have much purpose for one but that's not an issue :D
You must really be a recoil junky. .44 magnum is one of my favorite rounds and I've shot a lot of them over the years. I shot a 329 once though, two rounds and I was done. X-Frame .500 Mag I can handle, but a 329 with full-power .44 mags? No thank you. :eek:

You must really be a recoil junky. .44 magnum is one of my favorite rounds and I've shot a lot of them over the years. I shot a 329 once though, two rounds and I was done. X-Frame .500 Mag I can handle, but a 329 with full-power .44 mags? No thank you. :eek:
Ditto - my 460V was a pussycat compared to my 329PD, especially when shooting magnums. With the 460V you knew you were shooting a magnum, but it wasn't painful or uncontrollable. With the 329PD shooting a heavy magnum load, you looked to see if your hand was still attached at your wrist.

These are just my observations, worth what you paid for them. I like heavy for caliber bullets propelled by slower burning powders. I feel the recoil more in my shoulders than in my wrist. Up to a point. I find the full house loads in the 454, 460 and 500 to be more than I care for. My 41 Mag and 44 Mag are tamed by the use of Houge Mono grips. The 41 can still have a bit of a bite because it's such a fast bullet in a light gun and in that regard isn't one I care to shoot all day so to speak. I really like my Plain Jane Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag. It's 7 1/2" barrel points very naturally for me and with the 300gr TC bullets at about 1200 fps is very accurate. The 480 Ruger is a de-tuned 475 Linebaugh to have less punishing recoil. Still my load is a 410gr WFN bullet at 1200 fps and feels like the 300gr 44 mag recoil but in a heaver gun. I do have a scope on the super Redhawk 480 and will caution to go no bigger than a 2X scope if you go this way. For me any higher magnification makes it too hard to look thru for field use.
By the way folks, @oremike makes and sells a wide range of practice ammo in nearly all pistol calibers, mostly for about 25 cents per round under the name The Proficient Marksman. Good stuff. Here's the link:

By the way folks, @oremike makes and sells a wide range of practice ammo in nearly all pistol calibers, mostly for about 25 cents per round under the name The Proficient Marksman. Good stuff. Here's the link:
Thanks for the shout out. You must have a pre-chinese flu price list. My current prices are on my website.

I've got to suggest getting something more powerful than a .22 for starters. Unless that's what you really want... didn't work for me and after running thru a few various .22s I went to a .44 Ruger Old Army and then to .38, .357, .41 and then .44mag. I mostly don't carry revolvers except for in-the-mtns activities, (tho I have some nice ones) having gotten into the habit of the 9mmP for work and the .45acp for off duty/civilian carry. Frankly the .44 Redhawk does everything I need for a woods revolver and I can pretty much hand-load anything I might need from snakeshot to bear.
BTW if you DO get into anything bigger than a .357, be prepared to hand-load or pay out the nose. Or both, depending on what's available/shortages/biden-supply-chain disruptions etc... buy in bulk! Good luck and much shooting joy to you!:)

I'm somewhere between a novice and intermediate shooter, finding as I try new guns a clear preference for heavy and powerful ones. With rifles, I've bought, tried, and sold a few, ending up with a Mosin and a milled-receiver RPK that clocks in some 15lb without ammo. With shotguns, I don't own any but regularly borrow from a relative's collection, particularly favoring a 10ga Benelli. With handguns, I recently amassed four CZ derivatives - a 9mm Jericho 941, 40SW Baby Eagle, 45ACP Baby Eagle, and a 10mm EAA Witness Hunter - and recently put the 45 up for sale or trade, specifically for a 357 or bigger revolver. I've gotten a few offers and am looking for some advice to guide my choice.

I'm aware of the most popular bigger calibers for wheelguns - 357mag, 45LC, 44mag - and also of what's theoretically out there in the Hand Cannon class - 454 Casull, 500 SW, 460 SW mag....What I don't know much about is how common the bigger ones are, and whether there's any meaningful difference between them other than a steady scale of increasing power, noise, and cost. Are they all rare and expensive exotics, or is there some big revolver caliber that's particularly common, affordable, or otherwise a better choice over the others?
The two most common are 44 mag and 45 Colt. Those are generally available anywhere ammo is sold. But if you like big bang ammo you might like the 460S&W. Through it you can fire 460 s&w, 454 Casull, and 45 Colt. If you can find it you can also shoot 45 Scofield. This gives you three power levels to play with and one with good availability.
But none of the three are cheap to shoot. 45 Colt is one of the reasons I started reloading. At a time when I could buy a box of 45 acp for $20 a box, 45 colt was $35. I can reload for nearly exactly what I can load 45 acp.

I think currently the 460 S&W is the fastest in the world at just over 2000 fps.

My personal favorite are the 45 Colts but I have a Ruger BH in 44 mag with a 9" barrel. When it comes to long distance, that's what I grab. When I'm on my game it is a 200 yard gun. Good Luck DR

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top