JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ford Expedition XLT- for several reasons

A- Cheap to buy- I found mine for just under $2000 3 years ago, with factory tow package and 4 wheel drive.
B- parts can be had everywhere, reasonably.
C- fuel economy, not bad, really!! I get around 20mpg on the freeway, I just keep my foot out of it(about what I got with my 2wd v6 ranger), as it is not my primary vehicle who cares?
D- safety, It feels really good to be driving something that feels solid. If I get hit, I feel it is a bit more survivable. In fact if it isn't major I'll probably drive it home, try that with a subaru ( I had one). Body parts can be had at the pick and pull for cheap. Small vehicles sacrifice the vehicle to save you.
E- Longevity- mine is a 1997 coming up on 200k, excellent compression, tranny still works great in 2wd and 4wd, I have talked to other expedition owners, some on their 2nd or 3rd, who have all pushed close to the 300k barrier.

Just keep in mind that Rav4s, CRVs and Subarus, though they can be had with 4WD, are not serious off-road vehicles. They have poor ground clearance, unibody construction and lots of delicate suspension parts hanging down where a rock will crush them. They are fine for dirt roads and such, but that is about all. SUVs like the Pathfinder, 4Runner, Blazers, Cherokees and the like have tough suspension, full ladder frames and the ground clearance to actually go off the road.

Its not a huge deal but I do like correct information so someone does think they bought something they didnt. Anyways most all your information is correct except the Cherokee's are Unibody and not Frame and body. But still just as stout as the other SUV's listed. Otherwise that is good info to get out there :s0155:

Hi all,

I am looking for a second car that can haul around two adults, a small child, and a dog. The dog is pretty rambunctious and needs his own space in the car, which is why our current small sedan won't work out. Here is the catch: We have money to spend on a million things, and another car isn't necessarily at the top of the list, so the car can't be more than $5,000 - less is better.

I was thinking of a late 90s Jeep (not Grand) Cherokee or an older Subaru Legacy wagon or Outback. Looks like the Jeep would be both more fun and more reliable, but I am throwing the two out there so you get an idea of what kind of cars I am looking for. What other makes/models have you had good experience with?

You can never go wrong with a suburu. But i find having a lil more space is better. we have 95 toyota 4 runner and its been awesome. toyotas run FOREVER and theres plenty of cargo and kid room. one thing though, avoid the v6 3.SL0W go for the 5 spd 4 cyl. older ones or the v8 newer models.

D- safety, It feels really good to be driving something that feels solid. If I get hit, I feel it is a bit more survivable. In fact if it isn't major I'll probably drive it home, try that with a subaru ( I had one).

Subaru's are actually INCREDIBLY safe.
The expeditions are bigger, but they're basically tin cans.

Here's a good read. It's from firehouse magazine, talking about the amazingly strong structure of the subaru and what you have to do in order to cut it with the jaws of life.
<broken link removed>

I was unaware just how safe these cars were until I attended the first subiefest and witnessed this:

He rolled the car multiple times at over 100 mph. Even without a roll cage or structural reinforcement of any kind, the cabin remained intact. Amazingly, all he ended up with was some bruising and a broken finger.

Last edited by a moderator:
how about a toyota landcruiser, one of the most reliable suv out there. 4wd capability with a bullet proof engine. that thing will last forever. even a late 80's landcruiser would be good enough. they have lots of seating space and cargo area. it'll take you anywhere. Plus they hold their value pretty good.

Nice crash, it's an impreza, probably the safest of all the subarus, because of it's size and construction it's strong. but as I stated before you are going to survive at the cost of the vehicle. I'll still go with bigger, a front end collision at anything over 5 or 10 mph will total a subaru.

I had a 95 nissan pathfinder XE V6 ultra base model(power nothing and 5 speed, with cloth interior).. that truck went anywhere I ever asked it honestly wish I would have never sold it.

Pathfinders are great. Resale value doesn't hold well, so you can usually find one pretty damn cheap. Spend a little extra money in replacing maybe the timing belt and water pump. If its an automagic, install a seperate aftermarket trans cooler and bypass the factory one (they tend to plug up).

Mechanically sound, will run forever and comfortable off road and very capable.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top