JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One thing to think on a bit, most Bolty's have the slow twist barrels, so up to 55 grain, not really an issue, but if you really want to stretch your legs for those far sqeaks, you want the faster twists, and Savage and Mossberg seem to have figured this little detail out! For the money, hard to beat Savage! WHich will leave you plenty left over for outrageously priced and non existent ammo! :eek:

I bought a Mossberg Varmit in 2011 that is a tack driver, takes AR mags, fluted 24-inch bbl, and works well on bench or shoulder.

I love it!

Ruger makes the American Ranch in 5.56/.223 - it fits nearly all of your criteria. The stock is a molded unit with metal inserts (which bed the action reasonably well) and aftermarket replacements are available. Otherwise, the barrel is threaded, they take AR mags, plenty accurate (for me) even with bulk ammo, short barrel & low price make it portable & easy to throw in the truck and not worry about...

They're more smash-around than bench-rest beauty; not sure if that's what you're after or not! I sure like mine.

Cheers,
I like mine as well.

I didn't want to spend $100 for each extra 6-round Tikka mag. That drove my American Ranch decision. Absolutely love shooting the rifle. Accrurate as heck with bulk ammo, including Wolf.

I upgraded with a Boyd's At-One stock, Anarchy Outdoors lever and titanium acorn knob. The rifle rests on a Harris bipod. I have a Vortex Diamondback scope on Vortex rings. A YHM Turbo now completes the rifle.

About $1000 WITHOUT the glass and can. Great value IMO.

8F0FFD79-FDD6-4695-B0EC-C3A31F13F9DD.jpeg 826516BB-10D2-49A7-BDCB-E362236ECF10.jpeg

Last Edited:
You really can't go wrong with a CZ. The MTR is the one I would recommend. Long barrel, threaded for supressor already. There's a "few" CZ's in the house already and this will find it's way home eventually. There's nothing wrong with the 527 varmint or the carbine either (have that in x39). With cold hammer forged barrels and single-set triggers they are easy to fall in love with. The Full stock model can be found in the regular 527, but they are harder to find. I managed to bugger up the shoulder this fall already and was planning to use the 9.3x62 to terrorize the whitetail population, Dr. says no. Looks like it's stable-mate, the 6.5x55 will get the nod instead!
Have a great day and good luck on your options, reach out if I can be of any service.
Zingger

If you don't need/want a new one....my favorite .223 bolt is a Remington 788, bedded with Timney trigger, that stacks bullets on top of each other.
Plain-Jane in looks, unreal performance.....
Cheapdad

I've got both the CZ527 (in 7.62x39) which I like, and an older Kimber Model 84 in .223 that I REALLY like. It is my most accurate rifle. I put a little Leupold 2x7 compact scope on it, with Conetrol rings.

My wife and I were walking around GI Joes back in the day, we come up to the gun counter, she sees the blond laminated stock, and says "That's a pretty rifle". I ask to see it, it is the Kimber. There is a slight stock crack, but repairable. "Why don't you buy it?". she said. I didn't argue. :) Then we noticed a little sign on the counter, "All .22's, 10% off". Of course they meant .22LR, but I said anyway, ".223 is a .22 caliber, do I get that price break?" He hemmed and hawed for a moment, and then said "Oh, why not?"

It was a good day.

I later shipped the barreled action to Black Star to get the bore treated. One hell of a nice gun.

20200923_145705.jpg

20200923_145655.jpg

Last Edited:
One thing to consider is working from your trigger finger back.

If you are happy with factory trigger pull weight or potentially limited options for replacement triggers this shouldn't concern you.

If you want adjustable under 1lb, Your options get limited real fast.

I was shooting my 223 Rem 700 yesterday and noticed the trigger pull seemed high.
On the cleaning cradle, it measured just under 2lbs which should be ok...except when it isn't
Time for a trigger upgrade.

There are many good choices for rifles but oh so few good light triggers.
My Savage benchrest 6BR is tuned to 2 oz but the bolt has to be closed carefully.
Without considerable tuning, the Rifle Basix for the savage is good to 8oz.
I couldn't get the factory accutrigger below 12 oz and stay reliable.

Not everyone needs a 1.5 oz Jewell trigger. However if you want one, consider a Remington or clone.

After going rat shooting in Idaho & being frustrated at not being able to find a carbine length bolt action .223 I decided to do it another way. In Oct. 2013 bought a Savage Axis, sent it to a gunsmith in the Midwest who specializes in Savages & had them do some surgery. First they cut the barrel to 16.5", threaded/capped it and then turned down the chamber area & timed the bolt lugs to the chamber so I ended up with a gun that weighed 12 oz. less than stock. I gave it to Oregon Timberwolf Guns in Mollala where they installed an extended bolt handle, Cerakoted the handle in matte silver & Cerakoted the rest of the gun in flat black. I also installed a metal trigger guard & a lighter trigger spring, fired about 10 rounds through it & it's been sitting in my safe for 5+ years.

Another one of those guns in my safe I should actually go shoot.

So, I've been kicking around this idea lately. I'm not up on all things bolt-action, so can someone recommend a rifle that:

• Is a bolt-action repeater.
  • In .223 Remington / 5.56x45㎜.
  • Wood stock or at least good aftermarket ones available. (A Mannlicher style stock would be nice, but is in no way a necessity.)
  • Threaded for a silencer.
  • Detachable box magazine a plus, but not a deal breaker.
  • Preferably under $2K, but can adjust as necessary.
The "what for" answer:

• Varmints.
  • Target shooting.
Thanks much. :)
If you can find the Ruger Scout in 556, it would fit the bill nicely.

1604883510406.jpeg
The Ruger American Ranch is an inexpensive go to that takes AR15 mags, but knowing your style, I'd say it's not your thing. I sold mine recently and am without a bolt gun 223 for the time being.

Im really considering one of these, and having it cut shorter and threaded.

1604883646023.jpeg

The Ruger scout hits all the points and if it works, I would be hip. However, I had a Scout in .450 BM for about a minute then sold it. The bolt was the antithesis of smooth and it kind of soured me on the line. Though, admittedly, could have been a fluke. The Ruger 77/44 I have I absolutely love and the action is a smooth as silk.

So, I've been kicking around this idea lately. I'm not up on all things bolt-action, so can someone recommend a rifle that:

• Is a bolt-action repeater.
  • In .223 Remington / 5.56x45㎜.
  • Wood stock or at least good aftermarket ones available. (A Mannlicher style stock would be nice, but is in no way a necessity.)
  • Threaded for a silencer.
  • Detachable box magazine a plus, but not a deal breaker.
  • Preferably under $2K, but can adjust as necessary.
The "what for" answer:

• Varmints.
  • Target shooting.
Thanks much. :)
Is this for using subsonic rounds?

Humm... Let me think outside the box as follows:

- go to your safe and get take out a .223 AR that you can "work with"

- replace the BCG with a Kali Key:

- add some type of wood furniture like:

- add other features to suit

Now you will have a one of a kind CountryGent original.

Good luck with your choices on a new rifle OP!

I bought a Mossberg Varmit in 2011 that is a tack driver, takes AR mags, fluted 24-inch bbl, and works well on bench or shoulder.

I love it!
My son has one of the Mossbergs and its as you say a tack driver we found it works wonderful with the metal 10 rd AR mags but will feed from everything AR we have tried. He gets some very small groups with the Mueller 4.5-14X 50mm mil dot scope on top. I do not believe his is threaded but there are other versions of this rifle that do have threads,

The Ruger scout hits all the points and if it works, I would be hip. However, I had a Scout in .450 BM for about a minute then sold it. The bolt was the antithesis of smooth and it kind of soured me on the line. Though, admittedly, could have been a fluke. The Ruger 77/44 I have I absolutely love and the action is a smooth as silk.
I recall that 450. Shame it didn't turn out. I had a 308 scout a ways back and it was an amazing rifle. I've passed before on the 556, if it ran AR magazines like the American line, I'd be all over it.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews