JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd recommend a full size for night stand duty.
Easy to grab and point while still half asleep.

And seeing how you don't don't want a Gen 5 G17, I'd say go with a full size P320.
I like Glocks, but that P320 fits the hand so well and is easy to shoot accurately.

I want night sights or a laser, and one that turns on automatically when I grip the gun. Things can happen fast. I once had to deal with a home invasion where there was no time to turn on lights etc. This was decades ago. I dealt with it with a 6-inch .357 (Ruger Security-Six) in one hand and a flashlight in the other, held overhead and off to one side to illuminate both invader and gun as well as convey misinformation about my exact position. It was a pattern I had practiced, fortunately. These days, I want a laser or night sights on a home defense gun. (Bad guy chased off, no shots fired.)

What was the approximate distance?

I have a Beretta PX4 compact in a small lockbox. I went with the compact so it would fit in the lockbox, but it has a nice full grip and weighs enough to shoot very easily. I still have a child at home, so the bedside gun has to be locked up, but I want a lock that will work every time, so it is a simple manual push pin lock.

I keep a light in the box because what is rule #2? "Never point a gun at something you are not willing to destroy". If I am not absolutely sure of what made the bump in the night I don't want to point the gun light at it yet.

The gun is decocker only, so the first pull is double action for your safety. But the gun needs no special training for a manual safety. Point and pull goes bang! The PX4 compact has a very good double action so it is a firm yet very smooth 1st shot, and reliability has been perfect, and it has a nice 17 round mag. The Crimson Trace weapon light is only 300 lumens, but it is plenty to light up any room in the house. It has a built in laser as well, again so someone without much training can use it if needed.

It does not have night sights. If I can't see the sights because it is too dark, then it is too dark to see the target. That is why I have two lights, the handheld and the weapon light.

It was a pretty cheap set up as the gun was $400 and the light was only like $125 on sale.

IMG_20190527_112233.jpg IMG_20190527_112225.jpg

While in Brazil, I stayed at a private residence. At night we locked the hallway to the bedrooms and each bedroom had a locked door. I slept well, knowing that an external door had to be beaten down, then the hallway door, and finally the bedroom door. I apply similar principles to my house. As for the firearm recommendation, something you can easily manipulate and shoot well while you are half-awake and in the dark.

I've been doing some reading and exploring, thinking to make my next purchase a gun very similar to what you are after. My criteria are:
9mm or 45.
Threaded barrel.
High capacity
Rail
External hammer
DA/SA
Decocker, no safety, or convertible to that configuration
High suppressor compatible night sights.
Weighs less rather than more than current edc (36 oz.)

The threaded barrel is a big part of the point. I'm mostly a revolver person. But you can't silence a revolver. These days with so many people objecting to guns, there is a huge advantage in silence. I want something that is accurate enough to take out garden marauding rabbits or gophers and can do so without informing or alarming neighbors. I'm also thinking that there would also be more places to practice in the woods if a safe backstop rather than noise was the only issue. I want the external hammer partly because it facilitates dry fire practice using a laser training cartridge device.

I'm really interested in the 9mm CZ P07 Suppressor Ready Urban Grey. Its DA/SA, threaded, has high bright night sights, ships with ambidextrous decocker. (And kit to convert to decocker-safety if you prefer.) 4.36 inch barrel. Nice rail. 17 + 1 rounds. Various backstraps. One extra mag. Weighs just 28.7 oz. About the same size as a Glock 19. Costs just $522 at my local gun store. It also comes in black. But I think the bi-color urban grey and flat dark earth is gorgeous.

I'm also attracted to the full size version, the CZ P09 Suppressor Ready Urban Grey. I would doubtless get that instead of the 07 if the gun was for home defense only and not also for carry. May end up with it anyway. Have yet to handle both models. The 09 has all the same glorious features as the 07. However, the barrel length is 5.15 inches, the weight is 32.2 oz., and its capacity is 21 + 1 (!).

Last Edited:
I realize the OP said 9mm or 45 ACP, but while I have a few to pick from for bedtime stories, my fav bedside piece is an inexpensive WEATHERBY PA08 TR 20 GAUGE 18.5 INCH (also available in 12 ga) with Weatherby's $20 rail accessory for a Surefire or Streamlight.

They're $180 on CDDN, for around $300 with a light (and transfer/etc) you're in business. I prefer the 20 over the 12 for inside the home defense. #2 or #3 buckshot has 18-20 pellets going downrange. Add another $15-20 for a velcro attached shell holder for 4-8 extra rounds.

In the event it's used and taken as evidence, I'm not out an expensive pistola.

CDNN SPORTS - CDNN Sports

Threat Response Accessory Rail

It does not have night sights. If I can't see the sights because it is too dark, then it is too dark to see the target. That is why I have two lights, the handheld and the weapon light.

Actually, its easy for it to be light enough to see intruder and identify that they are not someone you know without it being light enough to see gun sights. Especially if you keep low level lights on in your halls and entry ways, (which I do). I also keep a flash next to the gun. But I don't necessarily count on it. There are situations it can't deal with.

If I was caught in bed, what's fastest is to grab gun with one hand and prop myself up with the other elbow. (My feet face bedroom door.) There may not be time enough to come to a sitting or standing position to free up second hand for using flashlight. (I have laser training cartridges and index cards with little circles on them mounted on the hall wall behind my bedroom door so I can practice dry fire shooting from bed using right hand from lying position propped up with my left elbow.)

If I hear the break-in, I would put on glasses and grab gun and move to bedroom door, use door frame as partial cover, and, if needed fire using one hand. (Using two hands would require giving up cover. Hall is about 30 feet. Beyond entry is a wall with more little targets so I can practice that shot too.)

Seems to me most people imagine "their" home invasion to be much more under their control than it might be. I still have very acute hearing. However, these days I often fall asleep listening to videos or podcasts. This means I'd be fooling myself to assume I would always hear an intruder and have time to put on glasses, get flash light, and move to an ideal position.

Lasers have an additional advantage for someone who ordinarily needs glasses. I can't see the sights at all without glasses. I keep them right next to the gun. But what if there is no time to grab both? I would just grab the gun. At 12 feet, the distance to the bedroom door, I can see well enough to identify intruder. And Crimson Trace laser, a 1-inch bright dot viewed at that distance with my glasses, appears as a bright 6-inch across snowflake pattern actually much easier to see than the dot. The laser means I have sights with or without my glasses.

Last Edited:
Fnp tactical or an fnx tactical.
Threaded barrel, rail for light, raised trijicon niightsights for supressor, and 15+1 rounds of 45 goodness.
Can be had for under 1000 if you keep your eyes open.

I agree. My nightstand gun is an FNX 45 tactical with an RMR and a light. I like the RMR because it makes aiming easier. While the FNX does have a safety, I keep it de-cocked with one in the chamber and the safety off. I also have a suppressor in the drawer but I don't know the practicality of screwing it on during a stressful situation. I like the idea of preserving hearing but I think realistically, that would be something to do if you have time after calling 911 assuming the intruder doesn't come up stairs where the bedrooms are. You can get an FNX 45 for $908 at buds.

I also have a CZ P-01 Omega (urban grey) that is a great gun too. I really, really like the way it sits in my hands. I think that was only about $600 when I bought it a few months ago. But for home defense I prefer the 45 because of the RMR.

and each bedroom had a locked door.

I honestly don't know how anyone can sleep easily without a bedroom door lock, seems crazy not to have one.

I've never actually given much thought to having a specific 'bedside gun', the one that goes on the nightstand is the one I carried that day. More often than not it ends up being my .38 snubbie, along with a flashlight and a loaded AR close at hand.

Evening all!

I'm sitting here with a drink in hand thinking I'm in need of a new pistol for a bedside gun. Right now, I keep a shotgun for those bump in the night moments, but I would like an excuse to purchase another pistol. Here are my criteria:

-Sub $1000
-Rail for adding didicated weapon light
-9mm or 45 auto

Additional features I would find beneficial...
-Night sights
-Threaded barrel for party can
-No manual safety

My thoughts so far are offerings from CZ, or a 1911 of some sort. I have a one glock now and would like branch out towards other offerings. Before anyone throws out carbines and AR's, I'm not opposed to using them for home defense, I'm just looking for a pistol. Any suggestions are welcome!

Depending what model glock you have....the micro roni or new mck by caa would only be 250-300 and it has 3 picatinny rails +a integrated weapon light spot under muzzle 20190403_140326.jpg

I honestly don't know how anyone can sleep easily without a bedroom door lock, seems crazy not to have one.

I've never actually given much thought to having a specific 'bedside gun', the one that goes on the nightstand is the one I carried that day. More often than not it ends up being my .38 snubbie, along with a flashlight and a loaded AR close at hand.

Don't need a lock. Have these 2 :)

The little white one has super dog hearing. I come home while they are sleeping normally. Upstairs, door closed. I have tried making a game of getting in the house without them hearing me. I can fool the 14 year old dog easy. Some times the little black on too, that little white one? No way. No matter how hard I try when I start to open that door she is standing there waiting. At first it was a HUGE PITA. As when we were trying to sleep and the other would come to the door she would sound off and wake the other two. Now she somehow knows when it's us. She will not bark and wake the others but she is at that door. Now days when Amazon comes to the door I know. She will raise hell before they knock. It's scary how she knows someone is there.

Pebbles.jpg Tessa.jpg

Any weapon that requires both hands to operate means the moment you are using it one handed to open a door, switch a light, or call 911 you are response compromised.

Mobility and flexibility is key to defending yourself. Might be taking fire behind a bed, shooting at feet from under it, in a running gun battle through rooms, etc. Handheld weapon with easy recoil and plenty of rounds the ticket. Use with a handheld flashlight away from your body while pointing at the target, bad guys always shoot at the light. And no matter how shaken, or how much adrenaline is running through you, use of a laser means just point the dot and keep firing until the target is down.

My personal choice has been a Glock 19 with night sights and a rail mounted compact laser. Break into my house, they will drag you out.

Don't need a lock. Have these 2 :)

The little white one has super dog hearing. I come home while they are sleeping normally. Upstairs, door closed. I have tried making a game of getting in the house without them hearing me. I can fool the 14 year old dog easy. Some times the little black on too, that little white one? No way. No matter how hard I try when I start to open that door she is standing there waiting. At first it was a HUGE PITA. As when we were trying to sleep and the other would come to the door she would sound off and wake the other two. Now she somehow knows when it's us. She will not bark and wake the others but she is at that door. Now days when Amazon comes to the door I know. She will raise hell before they knock. It's scary how she knows someone is there.

View attachment 583827 View attachment 583828

That stone cold gaze is terrifying
Screenshot_20190527-170910_Chrome.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR