JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm sure that's has been posted/asked before but I'm not gonna look through history to find out for sure. I'm interested in a 1911 but for the life of me, I can't figure out which one to spend a week's pay or more on. I'm pretty sure I want a colt and nothing but a colt but that's mostly due to name recognition I suppose. I don't want something fancy, i want a reliable shooter I won't get mad at/not want to shoot because it's a jam-o-matic. Realistically, I won't shoot it a lot because it's a .45 and that's just not something I buys lot of. I'd entertain a 9mm for sure. Where to begin? What to avoid? What to look for? Any and all input greatly appreciated!! PS, if you're selling, I could be interested around Summer's end

I already own a glock 20 and I haven't shot the thing in 500+days. I'd hate to neglect another poor 10mm :(

I've got a Colt in 45 and a Springfield in 9mm. While the Colt is prettier to look at, the Springfield sees a lot more range time. IMO, for the money a Springfield Range Officer can't be beat.

The newer Colt Series 70 Competition pistols are a great deal for what they are. They come in 45 and 9mm and have all the basic upgrades (dovetailed Novak sights, lowered ejection port, beavertail grip safety, commander hammer). The only thing I'd do is dump the blue factory grips and replace with something less obnoxious. Street price new is $850/$900.

I'm sure that's has been posted/asked before but I'm not gonna look through history to find out for sure. I'm interested in a 1911 but for the life of me, I can't figure out which one to spend a week's pay or more on. I'm pretty sure I want a colt and nothing but a colt but that's mostly due to name recognition I suppose. I don't want something fancy, i want a reliable shooter I won't get mad at/not want to shoot because it's a jam-o-matic. Realistically, I won't shoot it a lot because it's a .45 and that's just not something I buys lot of. I'd entertain a 9mm for sure. Where to begin? What to avoid? What to look for? Any and all input greatly appreciated!! PS, if you're selling, I could be interested around Summer's end

If you want a colt buy a colt . If you plan on keeping it vrs impulse buy .Anything else will always leave that Void . I've seen some good deals on here used.a colt probably won't lose value and very possibly gain value. So you wont be out anything .All the knock off 1911s like ATI, ROCK ILAND ECT Will be worth much less in years to come.

1911's run in all levels of the price spectrum from affordable to "wow, we really saw you coming".
While many of the boutique 1911's are nice, they are not required for a good everyday shooter. When I ran an arms room we had Colt's along with Auto Ordnance, Remington's and others. They all shot equally well. If parts wore out, they were easily replaced and they all took the same NSN parts, regardless of the manufacturer. If you have to have the colt brand in your collection, nothing wrong with that. If it's really pretty
though you may find that it becomes more of a safe
queen than something to be used often. I notice that a lot of guns for sale often suffer from "low round count syndrome". Why buy some so delicate that shooting it will make it less valuable? But that's just me.

(edit: I'm a long-winded wet blanket at times.)

Last Edited:
1911's run in all levels of the price spectrum from affordable to "wow, we really saw you coming".
While many of the boutique 1911's are nice, they are not required for a good everyday shooter. When I ran an arms room we had Colt's along with Auto Ordnance, Remington's and others. They all shot equally well. If parts wore out, they were easily replaced and they all took the same NSN parts, regardless of the manufacturer. If you have to have the colt brand in your collection, nothing wrong with that. If it's really pretty though you may find that it becomes more of a safe queen than something to be used often. I notice that a lot of guns for sale often suffer from "low round count syndrome". Why buy some so delicate that shooting it will make it less valuable? But that's just me.

In a perfect world, I'd buy another forum member's gun that already got a good ding or scratch so I wouldn't have to worry but the world isn't perfect. I can't say I have a single gun without something to make it "special" because I'm an idiot :D.

If you want a colt buy a colt . If you plan on keeping it vrs impulse buy .Anything else will always leave that Void . I've seen some good deals on here used.a colt probably won't lose value and very possibly gain value. So you wont be out anything .All the knock off 1911s like ATI, ROCK ILAND ECT Will be worth much less in years to come.
Not into selling. I like to keep what I buy, even if I don't shoot them. Call it hoarding or collecting, I just like them being around

I have a stainless para expert and it's never jammed and didn't set me back nearly as much as some others I've seen.

I'd go for a Ruger for a bit more money though if I were to do it all over again.

Mines to reliable to sell and not so awesome that I'm dying to shoot it all the time.

I have a stainless para expert and it's never jammed and didn't set me back nearly as much as some others I've seen.

I'd go for a Ruger for a bit more money though if I were to do it all over again.

Mines to reliable to sell and not so awesome that I'm dying to shoot it all the time.

I have a Ruger , It has been flawless . Very well made .And sharp lookin.I like older stuff Like WWII area 1911s ect.For the price I think the RUGER is the best bang for the buck.
As always I only see screaming deals on legendary vintage stuff when I would have to not pay bills to buy it.

Isn't that the truth. Fortunately on my end, I don't have any children to pay for so that money can go to guns :s0003:. I'm not sure which would be cheaper :confused:

My COLT is a lightweight commander 38Super SS
Spendy but pretty and a Colt

Edit: It is also the most 'pointable' handgun I've ever held.
Easy to shoot and hit in total darkness

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads