JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So long story short I am coming into a nice bit of unexpected money. SO I got to thinking would get my son who has just secured a good job. Something he has wanted for a while now. He's wants to build an AR-10 style rifle. As black rifles are not my thing I am coming to you guys for some advise. I would like to get him a stripped lower that he can start his build on. I am sure he intends the Upper to be .308 or possibly a .243 upper at a later time. If that makes any difference.

So guys whats your advise.

I'm a big fan of Aero Precision. I've built 3 on their 308 lowers this last year and have had zero issues. Brownells usually has the best deal on them. 301B5280-D604-4FC7-9151-71E2A9F9ECCB.jpeg

Just keep in mind AR10s are not milspec like AR15s. Best source upper, lowers from one company. I bought mine from PSA and have had zero problems. I understand it's not a highend piece but I'm not looking to shoot sub MOA.

If you're going to build I'd suggest stopping by a gun show to check out some parts. I did and decided to buy a complete rifle instead. Though I have built an AR15.

Last Edited:
Last January I built a 7mm-08 on an Aero upper/lower combo. Bought their M5E quad rail, and it was GTG. I like it!

You just missed this one: WTS OR - AERO PRECISION AR10/M5/308 UPPER/LOWER

You want to make sure the lower fits DPMS pattern to give you the greatest interchangeability between manufacturers. Some manufacturers have angled cuts on their lowers but will still fit DPMS patterned uppers.
With the upper, if an aero, you need to watch which profile it is, whether it's a high profile or a low profile. I don't know which is their latest version (hi vs. lo).

As far as I can tell, PSA has their own profile which fits only their own components, so I've stayed away from them for the AR10 platform.

WOW thanks guys. I will check out the Areo's for sure, I was unaware the AR10 platform was not Milspec and a person could run into fitment issues. Like I said Black Rilfes ain't my thing (I support anyone who they happen to be though, I'm just more into Old Winchesters and such)

I guess I will have to discuss this with my son prior to purchase (I was hoping to surprise him at Christmas time his B day is Dec 21 so we try to make that time of year a big deal)

Again thanks and keep the advise and suggestions coming.

WOW thanks guys. I will check out the Areo's for sure, I was unaware the AR10 platform was not Milspec and a person could run into fitment issues. Like I said Black Rilfes ain't my thing (I support anyone who they happen to be though, I'm just more into Old Winchesters and such)

I guess I will have to discuss this with my son prior to purchase (I was hoping to surprise him at Christmas time his B day is Dec 21 so we try to make that time of year a big deal)

Again thanks and keep the advise and suggestions coming.

I'm also into old Wincheters. I see everyone is on the Aero Precision band wagon, I'll throw a different one at you:

LaRue Billet Lowers - LaRue Tactical

The choice is ultimately yours and your sons, but I'd personally rather own one of these ^^^^^^^^. I'd be stuffing it with all the goodies too. Like the MBT trigger (just bought one of those yesterday to try out) that is on sale right now for $87.00.. Also, Later on, he can buy an ultimate upper kit and be good to go. Take a look at their site. They make some good quality stuff.

Good luck with your decision.

Also, if you purchase an Aero or better lower, go with a higher quality brand LPK. I bought an Aero one, not remembering I had a DPMS one on hand, and wound up using some parts off the DPMS since they did not seem like AR15 parts modded to work in an AR308 platform.
The bolt catch release & the magazine release - used those off the DPMS.
If I had the budget, I'd have gone shopping at LGS for the parts, getting what made the most ergonomic sense.
As it was, I keep my budget low - my black rifle parts pricing goes along with poverty ponies, palm oil billets and capital A's :D
Get a good barrel. When there's a sale, there isn't much cost difference between low end vs. Faxon / McGowen / Wilson / WOA, etc.
Got everything on sale, where I spent for high end product was barrel, trigger and adjustable gas system.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top