JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Biometric requires you to place a finger or fingers in the slots in a precise position. Imagine that you are driving and the safe is under your seat. In an emergency how do you get your hand down and turned 180 degrees and place it correctly into the slots to open the door. What if you don't do it correctly? What if the car is still moving or in gear? Too many things to go wrong with them in that instance.
RFID is much like passing your card to pay at ARCO. I have a Hornady 2600 (clamshell opening) in my car. I have a chip at my console that I reach down, push a button that is 2x3", hold the chip above the button and it pops wide open. The button is big enough to hit and the chip anywhere close opens the safe. It truly is a much better operation between the style of safes.
I have had a mechanical safe in one car, a biometric bolted onto my dresser, and now the RFID safe cabled to the seat frame in my Explorer. I much prefer door #3 for me from now on.

they are used for storage only. I cant imagine opening any safe while driving to be safety oriented at all. Sounds complicated.

I have two of the Shotlock safes and strongly prefer them. Simple mechanical locks that won't be foiled if your hands are wet and the skin of fingerprints has swollen.

In my opinion, biometrics are not ready for the primetime yet. Ever try to open your smart phone after you've washed your hands? It won't recognize the fingerprints because they're wet. The safe will do the same thing. Can't imagine the frustration of needing to get to my firearm in an emergency and the damn box won't open up. Might break out in a sweat during that experience!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top