JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently seen a video were a guy had a braided recoil spring in his AR. Anyone here have any real world experience with one? Are they quieter? Worth the extra $, he said they last longer but even in my military time I had never seen one with any type of wear.

For quiet, check out the JP captured spring setup. Not cheap but you will never hear "sproing" again.

I had to put a quarter into the base of my buffer tube to make it slack free, but love it.

There are a couple other products out there that do the same thing, but when I was making my build, the JP captured setup was the only one.

If you are looking into making a fly-weight build, you might be stick with a loud spring for the weight.

I run the Geissele Super 42 with an H1 in one of mine. Seems like less twang. The gun was run hard in a 5 day class and was flawlwss, but it might have been fine with the original set up too.

FWIW... if you run a spacer ( the quarter ) make sure you drill a hole in the center of your spacer, to allow water drainage.

I run all Tubbs flatwire recoil springs, the added life is worth not having to wonder when I last changed a USGI recoil spring. Not everyone likes the flatwires because they are slightly more trouble to install over a round wire.. but I really don't see that as an issue.

I also grease all recoil springs. No more twang.

Interesting stuff. I've never changed a recoil spring in my AR's. I didn't know they wore out but I guess everything will eventually. How many rounds does it take to wear one out, typically? Aside from down-right breakage, how will I know when one of my AR's needs a new spring?

I have changed op rod springs in my M1 Rifles, but not due to any particular failure or breakage, just PM.

It just never ceases to amaze me how much screwing around can be done with AR's.

Just out of pure curiosity, I'm gonna grease one of the AR's to see if it makes a change but in honesty, the sproing never bothered me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top