Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Recoil pads and accuracy

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by P7id10T, Nov 21, 2015.

1. P7id10T

P7id10T Cedar Hills Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Does a recoil pad with more give affect accuracy?
    I anticipate that the rifle would shoot differently, but if your technique is the same, I don't see it affecting consistency that much. Any opinions?

2. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Probably more to do with felt and/or anticipated recoil than mechanical advantage for most applications. I'm sure at bench rest precision the soft recoil pad may affect things but not for most purposes...

3. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson Everson, Wa. Well-Known Member

Back when I was shooting a Remington 03A3 a lot , I used a reproduction slip on recoil pad.
    Not for the rifles recoil but for stock fit, the G.I. issue stock was just a tad short for my long monkey arms.
    I did not notice a huge improvement in group size or accuracy.
    However the stock fit was much more comfortable and if the rifle "fits" you , I think you will shoot better.
    Andy

4. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

If the recoil pad reduces your flinch then yes it will increase accuracy. As to the tiny softer section of the stock increasing accuracy then I guess a fat guy should be more accurate then a boney skinny guy as there would be more cushion at the shoulder.

5. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

After reading that last post, I'm NOT going to make any prison jokes... o_O:D

P7id10T likes this.