JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just had to pull down about 100 rounds of ammo that was in poor shape and of unknown load.

This has left me with approximately 100 reclaimed large rifle primers.

Is there something cool or fun to do with these or just dispose of them?

Reload them.
Maybe if I wanted to practice failure drills.

These are likely from the early 90's, many of the case appear to have moisture damage. I am going to have at least a 20% loss in cases.

If they were newer and known and I was short LR primers I might. I had considered it based on price though.

These are likely from the early 90's, many of the case appear to have moisture damage. I am going to have at least a 20% loss in cases.

If they were newer and known and I was short LR primers I might. I had considered it based on price though.
Maybe modify one of these or make your own to fit primers.

1669677287670.png

I have reloaded a lot of repurposed primers even from moisture damaged or Lube damaged cases. I can't remember a time where I ever had 20% failures. I put them in some practice ammo and if you do get one that fails you can do a clearing drill. Primers are pretty tough they don't fail easily.

I can't remember a time where I ever had 20% failures.
This is 20% permanently damaged cases. Some of them have corrosion so bad I am worried about a neck or base separation. I have plenty of cases and why risk it for less than $10 worth of product.

They have been in the tumbler all day and I have even ran the Dremel wire brush on some in the really bad spots. Once all the corrosion is off I will do a final assessment.

All of the primers I punched looked fine on visual inspection.

work up a "spare components" handload, one thats safe to work in any gun then just use them as range fodder. ?

I just had to pull down about 100 rounds of ammo that was in poor shape and of unknown load.

This has left me with approximately 100 reclaimed large rifle primers.

Is there something cool or fun to do with these or just dispose of them?
Hi Nwcid, If you don't find a creative project for them, I'd like to take them off your hands.

Another potential problem with reused primers is fit. Once seated, then decapped, many times they fit loose when seated the second time. I don't like leaky primers.

This all sounds too iffy for 100 primers. I know primers are expensive and hard to get, but this simply does not override quality issues.

This is 20% permanently damaged cases. Some of them have corrosion so bad I am worried about a neck or base separation. I have plenty of cases and why risk it for less than $10 worth of product.

They have been in the tumbler all day and I have even ran the Dremel wire brush on some in the really bad spots. Once all the corrosion is off I will do a final assessment.

They are probably fine. Pop a couple off in an empty case if you're worried about it. I've had primers that were covered in sun melted Lube that still went off. You got to work pretty hard to kill a primer. The best way is usually just to shoot the damn thing.

Also if I get them out of a really gnarly old case I put them into a wax round so I can play in the garage. Surprisingly most of them work. Usually I do that in revolvers or pistols though not rifle. Although I have. If you've never made a wax round with nothing but a primer in it you will be amazed at how much power a primer has. Usually it can Propel a wax projectile right through one side of a cardboard box. It usually won't wreck your sheetrock though so bonus 😆

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top