JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
First impression is that its not looking good for the shooter and i dont like him already.. My wife and i view our dog as a family member. My German shepherd was brutally attacked out of nowhere unprovoked by a big bully dog when she was only 9 months old, it was horrifying so i can see a situation where force is actually needed. Mine was submissive and was very well trained/socialized at that time and she just rolled over exposing her belly immediately when the dog approached and it just went straight for her neck and luckily(kinda) got her shoulder. 3 grown men kicking it hard as we could and it wouldn't let go until we all literally pried its mouth open, biting us all in the process. 2 surgeries later my dog absolutely hates the vet now and is traumatic everytime we have to take her to the vet still, 6 years later and she used to go willingly with her tail wagging. It took about 3 years and an extreme amount of training for her to be back to her normal confident self, especially around big dogs. To be honest it effected me too. I absolutely love dogs and have always thought pit breeds just got a bad rap but this changed my views, along with seeing a few other instances involving my wifes best friends pit. The dog that attacked mine was my friends girlfriends, it is a trained service animal and they would introduce new animals at the zoo using this dog before the attack. It was not some vicious dog that shouldnt have been off leash but it misread the situation when it came to the door to meet us for sure. Since then i vowed i will never that anything like that happen again, but i am a restrained and calm person, i have even had several other dogs over the years get away from owners attempt to attack my dog since and i just got between them and pushed/kicked them away repeatedly and it seemed to do the trick. Nowadays my dog is 90lbs of pure muscle and confidence, she's very sweet and friendly by default but has proven she will defend herself if she has to or on command from me it seems, im very happy about that. Hopefully i dont have to hurt or kill a dog ever but if it came to that i think i would having been through a bad attack. I dont know about this particular boxer but my dog frequently plays with 2 boxer rescues currently that are total sweethearts and ive been around many others, none of them were as aggressive or unpredictable as some other breeds but who knows. All that being said, you never really know, but if the news story truly tells it how it went down, this guy was in the wrong in my mind 100% for shooting that dog even the first time and absolutely is lucky he didn't shoot that girl on accident

I read today hes facing felony charges...
No evidence on his dog and witnesses didnt validate his claim of attack.

The the little guy had the heart of a full size Doberman even if he only had the body of a Minpin.
My former liberal friend has two Minpins, one an uncle to the other. The younger one will climb up on the back of the chair or couch and lick my ear for several minutes. My former friend said that I am the only person that "Buddy" does that with. Did I mention that I also LOVE dogs? I think they can tell.

IMO people need to get rid of the idea they need a personal guard dog when most any dog will bark at an intruder when that's all anyone needs them to do, security systems are a whole lot cheaper.
I was watching a vid on home security and the guy said that a dog barking when the owner is not home will not deter a burglar. They said experienced burglars know how to befriend a dog inside a home. Most will either cower or wag their tail once the burglar is inside. IDK. But there are also security systems that can play recorded viscious (sp) dog barks. No need to leave a dog home just for that.

Some guys get mean dogs because they think it is macho. I think it makes them look weak and stupid. Then there's the Michael Vick crowd... he should never have been forgiven... those people should be put down.

Last Edited:
Regarding reward training vs punitive training..... I've raised German Shorthairs and trained them for bird hunting. My 1yr old was an award winner in many field trials. But man that dog could run. He started to range further out and bust birds 100yds or more away. I didn't want to put a shock collar on him (ETA: or worse... I've seen guys shoot their dogs with shot when they got out too far) and I didn't know what to do. The man I bought him from was a professional trainer and I took him to that guy, unfortunately. When I got the dog back, his spirit was broken. No good for anything and not trusting humans. I went to visit the guy and witnessed him pick a dog up by its collar and hang the dog behind his back for several moments when the dog wouldn't do what he wanted. I can just imagine what he did to my Shorthair... the dog was ruined.

My Bichon never needed correction. She was so well trained by someone before I got her that she would stand up like a bear but not put her paws on any surface other than the floor. My minipoo does not know any kind of loud voice correction, it is foreign to her. If I raise my voice, she's like WTF and it makes no diff. But she's a good old girl that doesn't do anything wrong. She's almost deaf now, so it's not her fault she doesn't come to command.

Some guys get mean dogs because they think it is macho. I think it makes them look weak and stupid.
They most likely already ARE weak and stupid and get a mean dog to to simply support the illusion of macho/power/strength etc. they have created for themselves.

I have at times been around some of these types (inadvertently) and there is a definite connection between these 'types' - and mean dog ownership.

and witnesses didnt validate his claim of attack.
And neither does the video. He starts shooting while the dog is still four footed on the ground and not 'attacking' him in any way.

I really do not know what to say about incidents like this. I Think a big part of the problem however is poor department hiring procedures. It appears they are hiring weak minded 'simpletons' who seem to have no concept of the realities of the world around them - such as dogs. What if this had been a mad 5 year old boy who came out of the house and approached the officer? Would he have shot him ? (because this is about the same threat level I see of the dog)

Good lord, if I shot every neighbors dog that occasionally gets out and comes over to my place to visit I'd have a pile four feet high.

My former liberal friend has two Minpins, one an uncle to the other. The younger one will climb up on the back of the chair or couch and lick my ear for several minutes. My former friend said that I am the only person that "Buddy" does that with. Did I mention that I also LOVE dogs? I think they can tell.

I was watching a vid on home security and the guy said that a dog barking when the owner is not home will not deter a burglar. They said experienced burglars know how to befriend a dog inside a home. Most will either cower or wag their tail once the burglar is inside. IDK. But there are also security systems that can play recorded viscious (sp) dog barks. No need to leave a dog home just for that.

Some guys get mean dogs because they think it is macho. I think it makes them look weak and stupid. Then there's the Michael Vick crowd... he should never have been forgiven... those people should be put down.
Most dogs seem to be able to tell people who are "dog people" from the rest. :)
As for the dogs being a good deterrent, for me they have always been more of an alarm system to alert me. Almost all of them seem to have far better hearing than us hence them altering us "that there is something outside" often long before we know without them. Now that the Wife's hearing is not what it used to be its great that at night when I am at work the little fur alarms will notify her LONG before she knows something is outside the house.:D They earn their keep many times over here for this alone.

Most dogs seem to be able to tell people who are "dog people" from the rest.
This is true and I typically attract dogs ( and most other animals) in a friendly way. I occasionally get the 'He/she never just goes up to someone like you' .

On the 'odd' side of this I was at a social event in Lapine at some new friends home and while outside their black lab was all over me and I was of course petting him and getting acquainted.

Well, the 'odd' part comes in when I hear a woman's voice say to me, 'Oh, you must have PTSD' - to which I said 'say what' ? and she repeated it and attempted to explain to me dogs can sense when someone has PTSD and will favor them because of it.

I only responded by saying to this person I did NOT have PTSD and let it go. I also didn't wait around to hear about her alien abduction experiences, bigfoot sightings, etc.

Last Edited:
And neither does the video. He starts shooting while the dog is still four footed on the ground and not 'attacking' him in any way.

I really do not know what to say about incidents like this. I Think a big part of the problem however is poor department hiring procedures. It appears they are hiring weak minded 'simpletons' who seem to have no concept of the realities of the world around them - such as dogs. What if this had been a mad 5 year old boy who came out of the house and approached the officer? Would he have shot him ? (because this is about the same threat level I see of the dog)

Good lord, if I shot every neighbors dog that occasionally gets out and comes over to my place to visit I'd have a pile four feet high.
Sadly there has always been a very few people slip past the hiring and end up being a Cop. This gets worse when they start to hire based on what gender and or race they are to fill spots. So often the best are passed over. Now the public has for years voted to make all Cops scum and many departments treat them like this. So now many great ones leave and no one who is good will even try to hire. So that leaves them with more idiots getting hired. The public is getting a good dose of "be careful what you ask for, you may get it". :mad:

I've heard this a couple times now, and it makes me wonder. Some years ago I went back to school at the local community college. I got to know a few of the guys in the program, and when you talk to someone long enough you eventually hear their story.

This guy was going back to school because the judge told him it was either that or jail. He had gotten into drugs and ended up burglarizing houses with a more experienced burglar. They got caught and he avoided jail by going to school.

At one point I asked him how they chose what house to rob, and if there was anything in particular that caused them to avoid a house. He said the number one thing for them was a dog, followed by security lights and cameras. He said if it even looked like there might be a dog home, they moved on to the next house.

So apparently it makes a difference for at least some burglars.

I've heard this a couple times now, and it makes me wonder. Some years ago I went back to school at the local community college. I got to know a few of the guys in the program, and when you talk to someone long enough you eventually hear their story.

This guy was going back to school because the judge told him it was either that or jail. He had gotten into drugs and ended up burglarizing houses with a more experienced burglar. They got caught and he avoided jail by going to school.

At one point I asked him how they chose what house to rob, and if there was anything in particular that caused them to avoid a house. He said the number one thing for them was a dog, followed by security lights and cameras. He said if it even looked like there might be a dog home, they moved on to the next house.

So apparently it makes a difference for at least some burglars.
With the "of course there are exceptions" scum who steal go for low hanging fruit. The more deterrents there are at one place while others near are "easier" the scum will of course go for the easier target. We see this all the time when safes come up. You can't have a thread on safes without the obligatory tales and video's of how easy they are to defeat. The simple answer is try not to be the low hanging fruit.

Ok, tell your self that, until your dog rips some kids face off because it was bred to fight and had a fight or flight moment.
Sorry, but I must disagree with you. Dogs may be bred for physical characteristics that make them good fighters, in the case of pit bulls it is jaw strength (3,000 psi), but they must be trained to fight. They may be considered dangerous because if they decide to do what a dog naturally does, i.e. defend its territory, fellow pack member, or owner, they can do more damage beacuse of their strength, but they are not naturally any more aggressive than any other breed. Anyone who has owned one knows this. At the same time, anyone who chooses to own one should be aware of what they are physically capable of, and act accordingly.
Call them property all you want. But I like most dogs better than most people. And I would defend my dog to the death like I would any of my other family members.
Just as any dog would willingly give its life to save its owner.
We've had a female mini-poo for these 10yrs but she is now 14.... she is not as loving/cuddly/affectionate as the Bichon, but still we're not looking forward to another loss. But that is the way it is when you have a dog.
Like people, dogs are individuals. Each and every one has a different personality.
Im torn on the breed debate because Ive met too many bad dog owners who have no idea how to raise a dog, IMO I might seem condescending here but its my observation most people shouldnt own dogs.
Absolute truth. Too many people own dogs without bothering to learn anything about them. It amazes me how many dog owners have never read a single book on how to raise a dog or canine behavior. Many people get them without realizing what dog ownership involves, and don't do the work.
But then Ive met a few good dog owners that had the most loving pit bulls that I would let my own kids play with.
:s0067:
The vast majority of people with dogs pick a dog based on the looks or the reputation not on how the dog is going to fit into their lifestyle and when They figure out that a dog requires actual effort to train, most often these dogs become locked up unsocialized un exercised unloved and become neurotic weapons This happens to all breeds and most mammals, just look at prisons. Somebody just posted with their 10 pound dog that they seem unwilling or unable to socialize it and train it and its the dog not the owner?.After having pits most of my life and never having a issue I feel I have a leg to stand on it seems like the only people pushing the other direction have little to absolutely no experience with Pitbulls just news propaganda or numbers that can be skewed and or not looking at the whole picture.
100% THIS ^^^
Reno is right pits were bred to fight,
I repeat, bred for physical characteristics realted to fighting. If they were bred to fight they would not have to be tortured like that sicko NFL player Micheal Vick did to create fighting dogs.
its also a fact that good owners who raise them right have loving dogs that will not attack. I don't think a dog raised correctly will be predisposed to fight or snap someday. I'm leaning on the other fact that the vast majority of dog owners should not be dog owners.

I think we all agree it is a matter of damage done by large breeds. My long-gone Shepard Lab mix was 120 lbs and could shatter cow femurs. my long gone cocker spaniel was more aggressive but less scary. If I can launch it into low earth orbit??? Some people should not own dogs, it is like having a 3 yr old around. even good ones get in trouble!

RIGHT ON.
Most people fail beacause they apply human psychology to dogs and thats rarely works,
I can always tell someone who shouldn't own a dog when I see them scolding them as if they were a child.

Dogs may be bred for physical characteristics
Geneticists may argue it's not just physical traits.

It IS psychologica/behavioral traits as well.

Certain breeds DO have genetics that predispose them for many psychologica/behavioral traits. Including aggressive behavior.

I don't think you need to guess which breeds…

Here is one of many articles you can find on the subject.

Sorry, but I must disagree with you. Dogs may be bred for physical characteristics that make them good fighters, in the case of pit bulls it is jaw strength (3,000 psi), but they must be trained to fight. They may be considered dangerous because if they decide to do what a dog naturally does, i.e. defend its territory, fellow pack member, or owner, they can do more damage beacuse of their strength, but they are not naturally any more aggressive than any other breed. Anyone who has owned one knows this. At the same time, anyone who chooses to own one should be aware of what they are physically capable of, and act accordingly.
what dog ownership involves, and don't do the work.

I disagree. A Golden Retriever could straight bubblegum you up if it had it in him. Breeds have huge differences in tendency for instability, prey drives etc.

This is true and I typically attract dogs ( and most other animals) in a friendly way. I occasionally get the 'He/she never just goes up to someone like you' .

On the 'odd' side of this I was at a social event in lapine at some new friends home and while outside their black lab was all over me and I was of course petting him and getting acquainted.

Well, the 'odd' part comes in when I hear a woman's voice say to me, 'Oh, you must have PTSD' - to which I said 'say what' ? and she repeated it and attempted to explain to me dogs can sense when someone has PTSD and will favor them because of it.

I only responded by saying to this person I did NOT have PTSD and let it go. I also didn't wait around to hear about her alien abduction experiences, bigfoot sightings, etc.
As you seem to already know, dogs can pick up on body language and attitude. They also remember the characteristics of those who treat them especially well and those who treat them especially poorly. If you've been around dogs enough you've met one that hates brooms or men in general or just tall men, etc. Sometimes a story comes out that the dog had been beaten with a broom, or by a man or someone tall or whatever. It seems reasonable to me that the dog in your story had a strong bond with someone who had PTSD. Or it could be complete BS.

I disagree. A Golden Retriever could straight bubblegum you up if it had it in him.
Sure it could. But GRs don't have the jaw strength PBs have. That's not to say they don't have strong jaws.
Breeds have huge differences in tendency for instability, prey drives etc.
Just as there are differences in individual dogs of the same breed.

Or it could be complete BS.
Most likely BS as this woman is regarded as a bit 'out there' by many in this particular social circle.

She has strange, 'new age-ish' type beliefs and never misses an opportunity to add something of an odd nature, or attempt to educate those around her with unusual or unknown subject material.

I won't even get into her religious beliefs.....

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads