JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nowhere in the article does it say that Madden himself was threatened by the dog, or did I miss it? Off-leash dogs can be unpredictable, ask city mail carriers. I don't trust them no matter how they appear. The last couple of years I've noticed a lot more dog walking going on along the road in front of my place. People who no longer have to work, I guess. Most are on leash. A few are off leash. I have maintenance work to do out there every so often, and take the garbage carts out and back once a week. I have an alder pole I can take along with me to keep dogs back. There is one that will run up, get his muddy paws in my crotch, which I don't appreciate but I wouldn't shoot him for it. The last time he attempted it, I had the leaf blower going and that kept him away.

There is one issue of dog walking safety that I think about when I'm driving. In my area, we don't have many sidewalks and curbs, it's mostly just road, then dirt/gravel shoulder. So dog walkers are close to traffic. Lots of them use the leash that allows them to reel out a lot of line for the animal. Letting the dog have a lot of leash is fine so long as he's going straight ahead. But it's notion to do this isn't guaranteed. Should the dog decide to suddenly veer into the road could result in death on a long leash. When I can, I give them a wide berth.
I've had dogs dart right out in front of me in the city. One of them I didn't even see and it hit the undercarriage of the car. The impact lifted the car a bit. Not pretty.

It's good to have another option below lethal force. Pepper spray will deter a lot of dogs. Not all...but a lot. But then the way the story reads, this sounds more like a deliberate execution than a man actually defending his dog.

Note too that the law tends to view dogs as property. Not saying I agree with it, only that it's how most jurisdictions view dogs. The dude will be lucky if he doesn't lose his gun rights.

It's good to have another option below lethal force. Pepper spray will deter a lot of dogs.
My alder pole is about five feet long, maybe an inch and a half on the thick on one end, an inch on the other. I don't use it to strike a dog that runs up to me, I just kinda parry them away from me. They don't like something like that in their face. I started this with one of my daughter's dogs. A dachshund, the nasty little swine. No matter how many times I've been over there, he's always as mean and noisy as ever. He has bitten but I've avoided it so far.

One of my neighbors down the road is a regular walker. Without a dog. He carries a 5 iron golf club to ward off dogs. He can parry or club with that one.

Some kind of dog spray is what the mail carriers have for protection.

One of my uncles used to keep dachshunds. One was sitting next to my mother on a sofa, then suddenly jumped up and bit her in the face. For no particular reason, they are just notional. There are some breeds that just to tend to be that way. As well as dachshunds, I really keep my distance from dobermans. Pit Bulls I don't see around here but I'd avoid them as well.

I guess we can't expect them all to be well-mannered as retrievers and labradors tend to be.

It's a dog. It's property, not "a member of the family". How do you think the ATF and cops get away with shooting them so often? It's also the Seattle Times, distinctly pro-PETA and anti-gun. The King County DA will be lucky to get either charge to stick. A bit creative with the "animal cruelty" b.s., that will be the first to go. Might get a ticket for unlawful firearms discharge in the end, and that will probably be the result of a hail Mary plea bargain.

It's good to have another option below lethal force. Pepper spray will deter a lot of dogs. Not all...but a lot. But then the way the story reads, this sounds more like a deliberate execution than a man actually defending his dog.

Note too that the law tends to view dogs as property. Not saying I agree with it, only that it's how most jurisdictions view dogs. The dude will be lucky if he doesn't lose his gun rights.

It's a dog. It's property, not "a member of the family". How do you think the ATF and cops get away with shooting them so often? It's also the Seattle Times, distinctly pro-PETA and anti-gun. The King County DA will be lucky to get either charge to stick. A bit creative with the "animal cruelty" b.s., that will be the first to go. Might get a ticket for unlawful firearms discharge in the end, and that will probably be the result of a hail Mary plea bargain.
Dogs are awesome but no matter how attached you get to them (and I have) at the end of the day they are not people and they are not family. If you can own it, it's property. Property with perhaps great sentimental value, but property none the less.

Dogs are awesome but no matter how attached you get to them (and I have) at the end of the day they are not people and they are not family. If you can own it, it's property. Property with perhaps great sentimental value, but property none the less.
I have had a couple dogs I bawled when put down...but I would have done it myself if they were dangerous to children or attacked unless defending family or themselves! Just how I was raised.

Fear of unknown dogs was deeply instilled in me at the tender age of 7. 50 years later, I still feel the lumpy ropes of the scars everytime I shower. During that time, I've had several dogs. 1 Rottweiler, 2 labs, and a few mutts.

Off my fenced property, they were leashed. No exceptions.

People need to understand that even the best trained dog is still an animal with it's own instincts and a mind of it's own. Put it on a leash for its own safety, if not everyone elses.

I will not be bitten again.

But, based on the story as written. I don't know. I wasn't there, and the media never tells the plain truth.

from the sounds of the article the girl tripped or her dog overpowered her. Regardless, her dog didnt end up attacking the other dog and recalled when the girl called him back. The other guy had no reason to shoot the girls dog over a mishap encounter is what I see in this story.
The story mentioned that he was upset about the girl's dog barking/etc at the fence every time he walked his dog. Really pizzed apparently. It seemed like he shot her dog in retribution, using the dog being let loose as an excuse to shoot it.

That's not going to fly if/when it gets to court.

He should lose his gun rights! He is a murderer.

I'm 70. I have kids, grandkids, and great-grandkids. I don't see much of them, so my lil companion dog is like my very own child. I feel that attached. So if that guy shot, and killed, my dog, my retribution would be swift and dramatic.

While all of this guy's actions are reprehensible to approach the wounded dog as it returned to the girl and essentially 'execute' it was a vile and calculated act.

I'd like to personally slap this guy so many times he would think he is surrounded!

yeah, I'm on the side a dog is a family member. I don't care what the law says, I don't understand why people who think dogs are property get dogs then. Property does not have emotions and feelings but dogs do. If a dog attacks another dog then that's one thing I have no judgement on someone protecting their own dog. But otherwise I think so many people over react to a loose dog when nothing ends up happening. Let dogs be dogs no need to react until something happens.

Yes they are, and I have had a few gun owners get angry with me over the years when I have told the stories of some of the "close calls" with mine. I of course do not go looking for it, and will be happy if I go the rest of life and do not BUT, I would use force up to deadly force, to protect one of my dogs. The times I have had a real close call its normally not the other dog that is the real problem. Its the moron who owns it and let it try to attack my dog. An amazing number of these idiots take real offense when I dissuade their animal from making a meal out of mine. One of them scared my Wife enough to buy me my first body Cam when they were fairly new tech and were quite expensive.

In our liberal cities, you will be charged if you shoot a dog that attacks your dog in public. My wife and son both carry pepper spray, the gel stream type, and a large pocket knife when walking our dog. I also carry a firearm, but using it, like in any situation, would be a last resort.

In our liberal cities, you will be charged if you shoot a dog that attacks your dog in public. My wife and son both carry pepper spray, the gel stream type, and a large pocket knife when walking our dog. I also carry a firearm, but using it, like in any situation, would be a last resort.
So far I have found OC to work FAR better on dogs than on humans. Some humans seem to drop in their tracks when hit with it, others it seems to do almost nothing to. Dogs on the other hand it has so far always worked well on. Which is great to me, I do not want to hurt a dog because it has a moron for an owner. Sadly the real fun starts if the owner is in the area and gets SUPER angry that I sprayed their dog they had no control over.
For those who have dogs. If you have to use deadly force DO NOT say the reason was to protect your dog. Say the aggressive dog came after you. You feared for your life. Of course at that point stop talking until you have a lawyer to speak for you too.

Yea and hopefully it's not one of those bloviators who claim they will beat/maim/kill anyone who does similar to their dog.
:s0092: Who knows. I could care less if they want to rant and rave. The one that scared my Wife into getting me that first body cam looked like he wanted really bad to come at me and that time I did not actually spray his dog. Many of these morons who let an aggressive dog run free seem like they are just daring anyone to get mad that their dog is not allowed to do as it pleases. The body cams have been a fantastic thing for this. The look on the angry dog owners face when it sinks in that its being recorded is priceless. One clown on his second warning from me got in his vehicle with a few friends and chased me down to scream and threaten. The look on his face when it sunk in that I was telling him this was all on tape, as was the first run in I had with his dog was too good. Now days the things are pennies on the dollar compared to what they used to cost and are great insurance if things get to the point of having to use force.

... I don't understand why people who think dogs are property get dogs ...
I think it's possible to love a pet more than you love some humans. I have become very attached to most of my pets and would defend them as if they were a family member. They are much more than property to me in a personal sense. But I also have to remember that they are property in a legal sense. I don't have to be all logic and no feelings to believe that. In fact, a balance of the two is an essential part of being a decent human being. I think we both do an OK job of that, just in different ways.

yeah, I'm on the side a dog is a family member. I don't care what the law says, I don't understand why people who think dogs are property get dogs then. Property does not have emotions and feelings but dogs do. If a dog attacks another dog then that's one thing I have no judgement on someone protecting their own dog. But otherwise I think so many people over react to a loose dog when nothing ends up happening. Let dogs be dogs no need to react until something happens.
I think what you mean is the people who treat dogs as disposable pets. Many sadly have dogs that should not. Dog gets killed or ends up at pound and they just get another. These are often the people who have a real problem dog and are warned, ignore the warning, then finally their dog does real harm. To me those people should be jailed for a good long time.
As for a loose dog it does happen. Its why I have always given the owner of a dog that comes at me a 2nd chance. Couple times even a 3d chance. Hell the dog in my avatar got out one time while I was sleeping. He was terrified of fireworks and it was couple days before 4th. Place sounded like they were filming an action movie around me. We were new to neighborhood but people had seen me walking him and chased him down. Woman who came to get me that she had him said first guy who caught him dog bit him right in his face when he picked him up. I gave her my info to pass on. Told her if he wanted to go to the ER I would of course pay the bill. Had he contacted me I was planing on telling him to take his Wife to the restaurant of his choice for a meal that would be on me too. Never heard from him. Woman who had my dog said he was a dog person too.

Dogs don't live very long, comparatively. If a dog owner is expecting a lifelong companion, it will ALWAYS end in disappointment. As a result, they are good for teaching young kids about love and loss. If loss is too hard, buy a turtle.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top