JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Dog encounters are a tricky one.

I've had a few encounters. Big dogs can really suck at times. Especially certain breeds. Yes, the ones that folks say, "it's not the breed, it's how they are raised". Ok, tell your self that, until your dog rips some kids face off because it was bred to fight and had a fight or flight moment. Combined with the fact you weigh the same or less than your dog and have zero physical ability to control it once it loses it. (Projection of one of my neighbors is occurring here). Don't be surprised if I kick the bubblegum out of your dog if it comes running aggressively in the direction of my domestic companionship bred breed dog and my 30 pound son.

I've had a few encounters. Big dogs can really suck at times.
So have I, and yes they can, and regardless of the 'tricky' parts a few things I read in this are a bit disturbing:

Tyson was circling the girl while whining and limping when Madden shot the dog a second time, killing him, while screaming profanities. Police estimated Madden was about 8 feet away from the girl when he fired his gun the second time,
So stopping the threat wasn't enough and he had to psychotically execute the dog while screaming profanities - and placing the girl in danger by shooting close to her?

The neighbor told police Madden was boastful about shooting the 11-year-old's dog when he asked about it,
Boastful? Like something he has been wanting to do ?

Madden told police that every time he walked past the 11-year-old girl's home, the boxer would bark at his dog and go up to the fence
Oh my, a barking dog behind a fence ? Maybe he should have taken a different path if this affected him. I live with a neighbor with four dogs on my back fence (and another with one (German Shepherd) on another side and they routinely 'go up to the fence' - and bark.

Madden did not express "remorse" about shooting the dog in front of the girl, according to documents.
These things indicate a most likely unstable person, drunk with power over owning a gun and he finally found his way to killing something.

Last Edited:
Dog encounters are a tricky one.

. . . . Don't be surprised if I kick the bubblegum out of your dog if it comes running aggressively in the direction of my domestic companionship bred breed dog and my 30 pound son.
Completely understand, and have been close to doing the same a time or two.

Much more often, though, it's just a false alarm; my own "domestic companion" tends to see only the teeth, never the tail-wagging. In fact, she's close to peeing her pants anytime a big, high-energy dog comes bounding too close. That'd be anything much bigger than a Yorkie.

The solution then? Depends . . . not violence.

The last couple of times I was approached by non-leashed, overly friendly and not small dogs, I bladed my body so they did not have a clear path to my soft bits and stood my ground.

It has worked so far, which is why you have not read about me on the news.

Completely understand, and have been close to doing the same a time or two.

Much more often, though, it's just a false alarm; my own "domestic companion" tends to see only the teeth, never the tail-wagging. In fact, she's close to peeing her pants anytime a big, high-energy dog comes bounding too close. That'd be anything much bigger than a Yorkie.

The solution then? Depends . . . not violence.
I agree. Yet there is a difference between a friendly dog charging you and an unfriendly one.

It's usually very easy to tell the difference.

However, in BOTH scenarios, the owner failed to control their dog. If the person reacts in anyway, nicely or violently, I wouldn't blame them. The owner shouldn't have that dog if they can't control it.

Despite being the Seattle bird cage liner, if the reporting actually represents what happened, Madden done boxed himself into a checkmate.
If it's true, that he did fire at the dog with the girl so close and in front of his muzzle, I hope they check her hearing, and I expect he will have a hefty lawsuit on his hands.
Dogs are property.

Responsible dog owners are like responsible gun owners, never in the headlines!
from the sounds of the article the girl tripped or her dog overpowered her. Regardless, her dog didnt end up attacking the other dog and recalled when the girl called him back. The other guy had no reason to shoot the girls dog over a mishap encounter is what I see in this story.

from the sounds of the article the girl tripped or her dog overpowered her. Regardless, her dog didnt end up attacking the other dog and recalled when the girl called him back. The other guy had no reason to shoot the girls dog over a mishap encounter is what I see in this story.
Yeah, i am not blaming the girl. I own and always have owned large dogs. I am responsible even when a little old lady's dog tried eating my 120-pound Shepard mix. he held the little dog down with a paw. My gun is under my control. my dog may bite if provoked. As a gun owner and dog owner I accept the responsibility Not to injure others on accident. That said if you get in my house One will heel you so the other can finish you! I'd rather get shot than eaten:eek:

The other guy had no reason to shoot the girls dog over a mishap encounter is what I see in this story.
I see a frightened 'city boy', who probably lives a sheltered life never off the concrete, and became a 'golf cart gun owner' and propped up with the false sense of security it gave him he lost his entire sense of reasoning.

When he saw the girl's dog he regressed to an elemental state, turgid with fear - little more than an animal himself and no longer in control of his faculties he began screaming profanities and indiscriminately shot the dog.

He should be detained and evaluated psychologically.

The news is so often worthless its hard for me. I have come VERY close to shooting a few times when one came after mine. I have so far always been able to use less lethal and or even just pick my dog up. If, and thats a big IF, this story is really as they reported it? They should hang the shooter. Problem of course is there is no way to trust media any more so what a mess all the way around.

As far as trusting the media story on this.... I don't see any political aspect to this story so Im inclined to believe it as is.
The most bias I can see is it said she tripped, when I could see her dog pulled her over reacting to the other dog but whatever because the girl reported her dog recalled properly so that tells me the shooter shot out of malice to teach other dog owners a lesson or something. The fact that he shot the dog a second time seals his narcissistic intentions so... Im good with trusting the media report.

Nowhere in the article does it say that Madden himself was threatened by the dog, or did I miss it? Off-leash dogs can be unpredictable, ask city mail carriers. I don't trust them no matter how they appear. The last couple of years I've noticed a lot more dog walking going on along the road in front of my place. People who no longer have to work, I guess. Most are on leash. A few are off leash. I have maintenance work to do out there every so often, and take the garbage carts out and back once a week. I have an alder pole I can take along with me to keep dogs back. There is one that will run up, get his muddy paws in my crotch, which I don't appreciate but I wouldn't shoot him for it. The last time he attempted it, I had the leaf blower going and that kept him away.

There is one issue of dog walking safety that I think about when I'm driving. In my area, we don't have many sidewalks and curbs, it's mostly just road, then dirt/gravel shoulder. So dog walkers are close to traffic. Lots of them use the leash that allows them to reel out a lot of line for the animal. Letting the dog have a lot of leash is fine so long as he's going straight ahead. But it's notion to do this isn't guaranteed. Should the dog decide to suddenly veer into the road could result in death on a long leash. When I can, I give them a wide berth.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top