JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I agree, i know a lot of people just cant do that and are doing the best they can with their circumstances tho. My GSD is fine alone, but i keep her with me or someone else pretty much at all times just cause thats how we roll and i know she prefers it too. She loves riding in trucks and boats or just hanging around a jobsite. Shes way better than my home security system but 2 is 1 and 1 is none.. Until the wife and i can move to somewhere with actual law and order and a way of life more our speed, we strive to have the house and trucks that the scumbags are more likely to pass on if they dont want to deal with the club on the steering wheel or be on camera getting shot or bit lol
Ahhhhhh, life in Potland.... I'm sorry for ya!

My stepdaughter has a German Shepard 1yr old female that is a big baby! She got it for security but it is afraid of EVERYTHING! But her job in the ID parole dept allows her to take the dog to work, which is a very good thing.

I thought you were self-censoring, glad to hear your fingers quit minding too! I think there is a secret government program to rob me of my dexterity!
That, and I can't see/focus well, and have been able to type since Jr H.S. so some words come automatically, others I just don't catch what my finners did. I love that the BGs are being "shat" at tho!!!

Ahhhhhh, life in Potland.... I'm sorry for ya!

My stepdaughter has a German Shepard 1yr old female that is a big baby! She got it for security but it is afraid of EVERYTHING! But her job in the ID parole dept allows her to take the dog to work, which is a very good thing.
Thanks lol. Your stepdaughters dog may grow out of that but its tough to say, i hope she does. We got our pick of the litter and she was the biggest but we picked her because she was hands down the most confident in the bunch. Mine is a baby to us, but is fiercely loyal and protective almost to a fault and scares the crap out of lots of strangers it seems. Ours is sweet yet very "switched on". Its amazing how this breed is so adaptable and has such a drive to work if you get a good one like we did. She has turned out so great that its a pity she was attacked so badly at such a young age, i cant help but occasionally imagine what she would've turned out like had it not happened. But through lots of training and work she is pretty much fearless now. They definitely require sufficient and constant training/exercise and the right type of owners but are amazing companions if the fit is right

How long ago?

My understanding, beyond the "exception to the rule" factor, is that it's a "then vs now" thing. A similar thing to the new factor of BGs not having as much FIBSA, ie... they are now used to gunfights, being shat at...

That said, it was just one source. Not sure if it is a widely accepted theory.
It would have been about 12 years ago now. I wasn't meaning to be contrary- just another perspective. It's likely that thieves are all different, and some are braver around dogs than others.

It could also be that some security experts put training videos for thieves on YouTube, on how to befriend and get past dogs, like some safe manufacturers do for breaking into "inferior" safes. :)

I'm going to admit something that will likely cause many of you all to judge me: I'm not a dog person. I don't dislike dogs, and they seem to like me, but I've just never been a real dog lover. Our family/farm dog, a beautiful collie, was ran over and killed by a neighbor when I was a young boy, maybe that has something to do with it; I don't know. Any family dogs we had growing up were primarily farm animals- more than just property but not family any more than my mom's horses she loved so much.

My teenage daughter got a dog a couple years ago. I honestly didn't want one but my wife sold me on it as a security feature. He's a good dog really, and he's great for the kids. He's more than property, but not what I consider family, certainly not in the way my kids are, not even close. We love him, but he's still just a pet. He seems to think I like him for some reason, probably because I scratch his ear, give him treats, and play with him. :)

The security thing I think for him would primarily be making a racket. I don't know whether he would attack a stranger in our house alone, go hide, or lick them and make friends. I am pretty sure he'd growl and bark his head off.

Only once have I seen him do that. A friend of mine stopped by and came in. The dog took one look and him, took an aggressive stance and started growling and barking. I mentioned that to my sister (a dog lover) and she said to watch out for my friend and not let him back in my house, because dogs can "sense evil".

Ok, whatever. The next time he came by, he wasn't wearing the ball cap low on his face like before, and the dog wagged his tail and licked his hand. :)

It would have been about 12 years ago now. I wasn't meaning to be contrary- just another perspective. It's likely that thieves are all different, and some are braver around dogs than others.

It could also be that some security experts put training videos for thieves on YouTube, on how to befriend and get past dogs, like some safe manufacturers do for breaking into "inferior" safes. :)

I'm going to admit something that will likely cause many of you all to judge me: I'm not a dog person. I don't dislike dogs, and they seem to like me, but I've just never been a real dog lover. Our family/farm dog, a beautiful collie, was ran over and killed by a neighbor when I was a young boy, maybe that has something to do with it; I don't know. Any family dogs we had growing up were primarily farm animals- more than just property but not family any more than my mom's horses she loved so much.

My teenage daughter got a dog a couple years ago. I honestly didn't want one but my wife sold me on it as a security feature. He's a good dog really, and he's great for the kids. He's more than property, but not what I consider family, certainly not in the way my kids are, not even close. We love him, but he's still just a pet. He seems to think I like him for some reason, probably because I scratch his ear, give him treats, and play with him. :)

The security thing I think for him would primarily be making a racket. I don't know whether he would attack a stranger in our house alone, go hide, or lick them and make friends. I am pretty sure he'd growl and bark his head off.

Only once have I seen him do that. A friend of mine stopped by and came in. The dog took one look and him, took an aggressive stance and started growling and barking. I mentioned that to my sister (a dog lover) and she said to watch out for my friend and not let him back in my house, because dogs can "sense evil".

Ok, whatever. The next time he came by, he wasn't wearing the ball cap low on his face like before, and the dog wagged his tail and licked his hand. :)
Sounds like your dog would probably not do squat like most dogs lol, my dog is not like that at all.. She even barked like crazy at me the other day when i was getting into my truck after going into a store until she recognized me!

Last Edited:
I'm sure most of you have heard this one, but I'll tell it anyhow, hopefully lighten the mood. :)

A burglar sneaks into a house in the middle of the night, and is looking around for valuables with a tiny flashlight. He hears a quiet voice behind him, "Jesus is watching you."

He freezes. Oh no, he's caught. He slowly turns around with his light, to see a parrot in its cage, looking intently at him. "Squawk! Jesus is watching you!"

He breathes a sigh of relief. "And I suppose your name is Jesus?" he says to the parrot.

"Squawk! No, I'm Joseph. Jesus is a pit bull!"

I was a freshman in high school way before Al Gore invented the internet, we had an assembly with a couple Coasties telling stories! All I remember of that was one of them talking about being on a dirigible on the east coast. Point...The Captain turned off the lights right before they got to a popular make out spot and when they got over it, hit the spotlight and keyed the horn saying in his best base "GOD IS WATCHING YOU"

I was a freshman in high school way before Al Gore invented the internet, we had an assembly with a couple Coasties telling stories! All I remember of that was one of them talking about being on a dirigible on the east coast. Point...The Captain turned off the lights right before they got to a popular make out spot and when they got over it, hit the spotlight and keyed the horn saying in his best base "GOD IS WATCHING YOU"
My last Coast Guard Air Station was San Diego... ever heard of Black's Beach?

My HS best friend was a year older than I and graduated.

He joined the Coasties, as had all of the males and half of the females of the family had done.

He does Boot at Cape May and gets stationed at Swan Island on the ANT Team.

It is 1985. A ship runs aground in the middle of the night on the Columbia.

We shared a car, so I had to take Chuck down to the base so he could go out - they HATED my long hair on the base.

I dropped him off and went back to the apt.

About 5 hours later he calls and asked me to come pick him up.

Back to the base and the glaring faces but I got him.

On the way home I questioned him about the Rescue.

He explained that no one had been injured.

So I asked how long it took to get the ship free.

He said he didn't know - it was still beached when his team went back to base.

So I asked him, if they didn't save lives or ships this morning, what in the hell were they doing???

He said, "We are the A.N.T. Team. That stands for Aides to Navigation Team. We are responsible for the lights and buoys and signage on the Columbia River. So we steamed to the wreck, and then went both upstream one mile and downstream one mile to make sure all the lights and signs were in working order."

"They were, so we came home.".

Last Edited:
Sounds like your dog would probably not do squat like most dogs lol, my dog is not like that at all.. She even barked like crazy at me the other day when i was getting into my truck after going into a store until she recognized me!
The other night Wife was with both of our #5 dogs after dark. I had to run down to the other side of the property. When I was walking back the one dog was STRAINING at her leash telling me she was going to attack me if I came closer until she realized it was me. It was hilarious watching the little thing straining at the leash and jumping up and down barking and growling as if she weighed #150 instead of #5. :D

It was hilarious watching the little thing straining at the leash and jumping up and down barking and growling as if she weighed #150 instead of #5.
My Pop was a short man.... I know of what you speak!!! My middle brother is 6'5" and had to step in between Dad and a 20 something irate male way too often.

the ANT Team.
At San Diego, we loved the ANT team!!!

They maintained the light at the south end of Catalina Island and rather than take a slow boat with all the batteries and tools, we used the HH3F Pelican helo to take them out there. Landed on the side of the hill above the light with 2' to spare for the rotor blade disc, and another 2' to spare for the landing gear... had to have one guy looking out the door at the rotor, and another laying on the deck to guide the gear. Gets your blood flowing.

The aircrew/pilots brought bathing suits for use while the ANT team was doing actual work... it wasn't OUR job! Plus nobody wanted us to screw anything up and if something did get screwed up, hey we didn't touch it!!! But down the steep slope on a steel cable, and into the water, there was a nice bed of various diff kind of abalone (black/green/red/pink)((one of those was supposed to be off limits already in 1978)). To say we over-harvested is putting it VERY mildly... we brought back a 50 or 75 quart cooler full at diff times.

The base sure enjoyed our harvest. The Filipino cooks did us proud. The Game Warden caught wind of it and was none too happy tho... we got our azzes chewed by the base Captain... who really loved our meals of abalone. ;) (and langostino taken off the base pier... the warden used to hang out nearby with binos... good thing he didn't have night vision optic back then)

Didn't that dog whisperer get his face gnawed off?
No, actually not, but it's an interesting story. There was a real dog whisperer and then there was the guy that made a lot of money off the first guy's reputation. The real dog whisperer was a guy named Mark Stover from the Seattle area. He made a fair amount of money as dog trainer to celebrities and other wealthy folks. He was murdered by his Ex's boyfriend. After his death, the imitation dog whisperer Cesar Millan adopted the name and made a lot of money with a TV show, a book and his now largely discredited theory that a dog owner should act like the animal's pack leader.

Here's a an article that should interest some folks here - it's got firearms ("You show me anybody's house that's got assault rifles and I'll show you someone who's paranoid."), romance, infidelity, and ultimately murder in the plot. It's a long article but should keep slow readers like @bbbass out of trouble for a couple of weeks. :s0140:

No, actually not, but it's an interesting story. There was a real dog whisperer and then there was the guy that made a lot of money off the first guy's reputation. The real dog whisperer was a guy named Mark Stover from the Seattle area. He made a fair amount of money as dog trainer to celebrities and other wealthy folks. He was murdered by his Ex's boyfriend. After his death, the imitation dog whisperer Cesar Millan adopted the name and made a lot of money with a TV show, a book and his now largely discredited theory that a dog owner should act like the animal's pack leader.

Here's a an article that should interest some folks here - it's got firearms ("You show me anybody's house that's got assault rifles and I'll show you someone who's paranoid."), romance, infidelity, and ultimately murder in the plot. It's a long article but should keep slow readers like @bbbass out of trouble for a couple of weeks. :s0140:

That is a "Dateline" type production gone full blown soap opera.... sick. I couldn't stomach finishing reading it. :(

I don't watch any legacy news... NBC, MSNBC, and CNN the worst, I think. Cant stand Lester Jolt, Rachel Madcow, Joyless Reid, Chris Wallazz, 60Min, etc.
My wife forces herself to watch about once a week to see how the dementia is progressing.

This works well because she gives me the condensed version.

I cannot stand those talking head lying comrades and find it impossible to watch them without yelling at the TV, so I don't.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top