JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My favorite hat. Gets lots of smiles from others when I wear it.

Hat.jpg

Most dogs don't know what to do. They want to protect but like most people, don't know how to fight. I have been attacked as a kid. As well as my little brother pretty bad. As an adult I try to give the animal the benefit of the doubt but I also have the right in a public space, not to be attacked.

A neighbor took one for the team, allowing himself to be attacked by another neighbors Corso (?) breed. I don't know if I could have done so. Especially if there were kids around. Also when owners clip their dogs ears and tails, I have no way or fewer ways to figure out the aggression intent of the dog. Floppy ears saved one dog for sure.

Dogs are awesome but no matter how attached you get to them (and I have) at the end of the day they are not people and they are not family. If you can own it, it's property. Property with perhaps great sentimental value, but property none the less.
Don't care. Call them property all you want. But I like most dogs better than most people. And I would defend my dog to the death like I would any of my other family members.

WOLVERINES!

Most dogs don't know what to do. They want to protect but like most people, don't know how to fight. I have been attacked as a kid. As well as my little brother pretty bad. As an adult I try to give the animal the benefit of the doubt but I also have the right in a public space, not to be attacked.

A neighbor took one for the team, allowing himself to be attacked by another neighbors Corso (?) breed. I don't know if I could have done so. Especially if there were kids around. Also when owners clip their dogs ears and tails, I have no way or fewer ways to figure out the aggression intent of the dog. Floppy ears saved one dog for sure.
The one time a HUGE Pit charged across a ball field at me and one of my dogs his tail is what saved his life. I could see he wanted to play. I picked up my dog and he jumped up on me was so big he was face to face with me. His tail going like mad he was so excited. His owner SCREAMING like a banshee at the gun she saw come out. I told her she was going to end up losing her dog if she allowed it to keep doing that. The next person may not be willing to see the dog was playing, especially that breed.

Don't care. Call them property all you want. But I like most dogs better than most people. And I would defend my dog to the death like I would any of my other family members.

WOLVERINES!
That's perfectly valid. I addressed it here:

I think it's possible to love a pet more than you love some humans. I have become very attached to most of my pets and would defend them as if they were a family member. They are much more than property to me in a personal sense. But I also have to remember that they are property in a legal sense. I don't have to be all logic and no feelings to believe that. In fact, a balance of the two is an essential part of being a decent human being. I think we both do an OK job of that, just in different ways.
Seems to me we're closer to agreement than you might think.

Dogs don't live very long, comparatively. If a dog owner is expecting a lifelong companion, it will ALWAYS end in disappointment. As a result, they are good for teaching young kids about love and loss. If loss is too hard, buy a turtle.

We always had a family dog growing up. But when my 2nd wife and I got together, she said no dog because we were both working. However, when she retired she got lonely during the days, so we got a purebred Havanese from a backyard breeder... it didn't work out... the dog was crazy and bit everybody.

Then we found a purebred female Bichon rescue dog, a reject from Dogs For The Deaf. That lil girl was the doggy love of my life. When she passed suddenly about 10 years ago it broke my heart.

We seriously considered not getting another. But after a few months we realized the only way to heal our broken hearts was to adopt another. We've had a female mini-poo for these 10yrs but she is now 14.... she is not as loving/cuddly/affectionate as the Bichon, but still we're not looking forward to another loss. But that is the way it is when you have a dog.

He's a Fear Shooter.
Disagree.

According to the story, he shot that dog in anger. A real M/F'er.

The one time a HUGE Pit charged across a ball field at me and one of my dogs his tail is what saved his life. I could see he wanted to play. I picked up my dog and he jumped up on me was so big he was face to face with me. His tail going like mad he was so excited. His owner SCREAMING like a banshee at the gun she saw come out. I told her she was going to end up losing her dog if she allowed it to keep doing that. The next person may not be willing to see the dog was playing, especially that breed.
Well, I don't think that works all the time. The Pittie that bit me came from a home next to my shop... I had gotten out of my car in the parking lot when the neighbor opened the door to the rental house and the PB came running out towards me with his tail wagging all the way. I was wary. Then the dog bit me in the knee with penetration of his eye teeth. Fortunately he returned when the neighbor called him. Was he playing?

Rottweiler that attacked my Bichon and had her pinned to the asphalt by the back of her neck... in court the owner claimed it was just playing. NOT! Although I'm sure it could have killed her if it wanted to, it was prob defending the territory in front of it's house. That dog was allowed to run free and menace the neighbors. The second attack by the same dog, allowed to run loose on another street while the owner was working on a house nearby, was witnessed by car drivers that testified the dog was menacing, not playing. One more violation and the dog would have been put down... some owners never learn or are too stubborn for the dog's own good.

Dog encounters are a tricky one.

I've had a few encounters. Big dogs can really suck at times. Especially certain breeds. Yes, the ones that folks say, "it's not the breed, it's how they are raised". Ok, tell your self that, until your dog rips some kids face off because it was bred to fight and had a fight or flight moment. Combined with the fact you weigh the same or less than your dog and have zero physical ability to control it once it loses it. (Projection of one of my neighbors is occurring here). Don't be surprised if I kick the bubblegum out of your dog if it comes running aggressively in the direction of my domestic companionship bred breed dog and my 30 pound son.
Sorry to burst your bubble but it isnt the breed but the owner. To use a gun analogy youd be the one banning ar15's cause they were "bred to fight".

Wost bite ive ever seen was my buddy beagle bit his daughter in the face.
I will say too many people buy a dog based on looks vs how it will fit their lifestyle and the effort they are willing to put into it which creates problems most people are to stupid to notice or fix

Last Edited:
Sorry to burst your bubble but it isnt the breed but the owner. To use a gun analogy youd be the one banning ar15's cause they were "bred to fight".

Wost bite ive ever seen was my buddy beagle bit his daughter in the face.
Keep telling yourself that.

There is always someone that pops up to defend certain breeds :rolleyes:

A chihuahua can't tear a face off. Even if it attacks it can't do much damage, and they can be extremely territorial.

Golden retrievers are large yet have been companionship bred for generations. Basically genetically predisposed to be good. Very very rare a breed like golden retriever snaps and rips apart someone.

A pit Bull was bred to fight. Has large features meant to bite and latch onto flesh. These have not been bred out of the breed. They have genetically been predisposed to aggressiveness. They are still used for fighting. If a pit Bull snaps, which has been recorded all too often, the person usually doesn't fair too well.

Your beagle example is quaint. Yes, small dogs can bite. All dogs can. Saying that a beagle bite is worse than if a larger dog literally bred to bite and latch onto flesh is adorable.

Comparing a living thing to an inanimate object is even cuter. The gun is solely in control of the user. The dog has a mind of its own. Great analogy though!

Im torn on the breed debate because Ive met too many bad dog owners who have no idea how to raise a dog, IMO I might seem condescending here but its my observation most people shouldnt own dogs.
But then Ive met a few good dog owners that had the most loving pit bulls that I would let my own kids play with. So I dunno. Im open to hearing all sides on the breed debate still.

Keep telling yourself that.

There is always someone that pops up to defend certain breeds :rolleyes:

A chihuahua can't tear a face off. Even if it attacks it can't do much damage, and they can be extremely territorial.

Golden retrievers are large yet have been companionship bred for generations. Basically genetically predisposed to be good. Very very rare a breed like golden retriever snaps and rips apart someone.

A pit Bull was bred to fight. Has large features meant to bite and latch onto flesh. These have not been bred out of the breed. They have genetically been predisposed to aggressiveness. They are still used for fighting. If a pit Bull snaps, which has been recorded all too often, the person usually doesn't fair too well.

Your beagle example is quaint. Yes, small dogs can bite. All dogs can. Saying that a beagle bite is worse than if a larger dog literally bred to bite and latch onto flesh is adorable.

Comparing a living thing to an inanimate object is even cuter. The gun is solely in control of the user. The dog has a mind of its own. Great analogy though!
Bro dogs are my jam, pitties have been my breed for my life clearly youve not been around many. Golden retrievers are actualy more common biters than people think.
people agressiveness was frowned on and removed from pits and is extreamly rare in and is almost always accompanied by piss poor ownership ( you cant climb ito a fighting pit with a people agressive dog thats ramped up ). All your points are complete bs except yes they have exerageted features. You clam they are agressive, still used for fighting, you claim they snap basicly saying they are unstable. My pitties is no larger than his beagle and a way better dog in every category. Want to prove me rong? I challenge you, lets walk our dogs off leash side by side down a busy street with people, screaming kids, barking dogs, cars and lets see who's breed of dog is better? Ill pm my info if you want.

82348965-A319-4AF6-B151-A67954CADBFD.jpeg

Bro dogs are my jam, pitties have been my breed for my life clearly youve not been around many. Golden retrievers are actualy more common biters than people think.
people agressiveness was frowned on and removed from pits and is extreamly rare in and is almost always accompanied by piss poor ownership ( you cant climb ito a fighting pit with a people agressive dog thats ramped up ). All your points are complete bs except yes they have exerageted features. You clam they are agressive, still used for fighting, you claim they snap basicly saying they are unstable. My pitties is no larger than his beagle and a way better dog in every category. Want to prove me rong? I challenge you, lets walk our dogs off leash side by side down a busy street with people, screaming kids, barking dogs, cars and lets see who's breed of dog is better? Ill pm my info if you want.

View attachment 1108824
I won't dissuade you any. Your mind is set, sadly. That's the problem with folks that refuse to look at things from any other side than their own.

I hope for your sake, and your dogs, your dogs never do anything they aren't supposed to.

I won't dissuade you any. Your mind is set, sadly. That's the problem with folks that refuse to look at things from any other side than their own.

I hope for your sake, and your dogs, your dogs never do anything they aren't supposed to.
Well from my point of view I'm just tired of people grouping them up like they're monsters when they have absolutely no knowledge of them kind of like all the gun grabbers that have no knowledge of them

Last Edited:
Well from my point of you I'm just tired of people grouping them up like they're monsters when they have absolutely no knowledge of them kind of like all the gun grabbers that have no knowledge of them
The gun analogy isn't doing you any good.

Guns are lifeless, they can't do anything without a humans input. If there is any argument using firearms is that a 10/22 is no different than an AR15. Which is a false argument. There is a difference between a 10/22 and an AR15. Their purposes are vastly different. Some can argue otherwise, but that argument is based more off personal feelings than facts. Stating folks that argue against dog breeds are no different than anti gunners, is just poor logic.

Dogs aren't inanimate objects. They are living creatures. As much control a human believes they have over them, they have a mind of their own, and can act without any human input.

Ignoring a breeds past and genetics is about equivalent to arguing there are more than two sexes. Genetically speaking, certain breeds have psychological traits. These can not be "trained" out regardless of the owners nurturing. Just like hunting and retriever breeds are genetically predisposed to hunt and retrieve. Fighting dogs are genetically predisposed in the same ways.

Pit bulls, bulldogs, etc, may be bred into more domesticated dogs in time. Like yours, which are smaller. There may be hopes that breeders create smaller versions and more docile versions of their past versions. That would go a long way to change the image of that breed. In time, the breed might become more domesticated, large jaws may be bred out, behaviors bred out. However, these characteristics are often desirable in these breeds, so they are also still bred to retain them.

Moral of my rant, ignoring the facts, that these breeds are and were bred for fighting and or such, is just bad thinking. Ignoring the sheer fact that when they attack, the damage is greater than other breeds is bad thinking. Ignoring the fact breeders still breed these breeds for desirable fighting features, is bad thinking. Ignoring the fact that there are still dog fights, where these breeds are the desirable breed, is bad thinking.

You state folks like me are not knowledgeable, when in fact we are. If anything you are projecting because you are emotionally invested in this breed. If you weren't, perhaps you would be able to come to a better approach to argue your case.

I'll leave it at that, as there really is no changing the mind of someone emotionally invested and clearly biased.

Well from my point of you I'm just tired of people grouping them up like they're monsters when they have absolutely no knowledge of them kind of like all the gun grabbers that have no knowledge of them
The gun analogy isn't doing you any good.

Guns are lifeless, they can't do anything without a humans input. If there is any argument using firearms is that a 10/22 is no different than an AR15. Which is a false argument. There is a difference between a 10/22 and an AR15. Their purposes are vastly different. Some can argue otherwise, but that argument is based more off personal feelings than facts. Stating folks that argue against dog breeds are no different than anti gunners, is just poor logic.

Dogs aren't inanimate objects. They are living creatures. As much control a human believes they have over them, they have a mind of their own, and can act without any human input.

Ignoring a breeds past and genetics is about equivalent to arguing there are more than two sexes. Genetically speaking, certain breeds have psychological traits. These can not be "trained" out regardless of the owners nurturing. Just like hunting and retriever breeds are genetically predisposed to hunt and retrieve. Fighting dogs are genetically predisposed in the same ways.

Pit bulls, bulldogs, etc, may be bred into more domesticated dogs in time. Like yours, which are smaller. There may be hopes that breeders create smaller versions and more docile versions of their past versions. That would go a long way to change the image of that breed. In time, the breed might become more domesticated, large jaws may be bred out, behaviors bred out. However, these characteristics are often desirable in these breeds, so they are also still bred to retain them.

Moral of my rant, ignoring the facts, that these breeds are and were bred for fighting and or such, is just bad thinking. Ignoring the sheer fact that when they attack, the damage is greater than other breeds is bad thinking. Ignoring the fact breeders still breed these breeds for desirable fighting features, is bad thinking. Ignoring the fact that there are still dog fights, where these breeds are the desirable breed, is bad thinking.

You state folks like me are not knowledgeable, when in fact we are. If anything you are projecting because you are emotionally invested in this breed. If you weren't, perhaps you would be able to come to a better approach to argue your case.

I'll leave it at that, as there really is no changing the mind of someone emotionally invested and clearly biased.
Not even gonna waste my time with a reply as I said let's walk our dogs side-by-side see who's dog is better it's not the breed it's the owner

If your dog kills or maims someone I care about I'm not going to give one single bubblegum why it did it. If you have a breed that's statistically far more likely to maim or kill, I support your right to own one, but don't try to paint it like some cuddly bunny. I don't care if it rescues kittens and feeds the homeless. It's basically one serious bite away from a trip to doggie heaven.

Im torn on the breed debate because Ive met too many bad dog owners who have no idea how to raise a dog, IMO I might seem condescending here but its my observation most people shouldnt own dogs.
But then Ive met a few good dog owners that had the most loving pit bulls that I would let my own kids play with. So I dunno. Im open to hearing all sides on the breed debate still.
I waffle back and forth on PBs. I've met a few lover dogs, and seen a bunch on TV/Youtube, but I've been bitten. Then there's all the stories about PBs and Rotties. I just don't know.

I've been bitten:
Twice by GS
Twice by Labs
Once by PB

Perhaps an attack by a crazed/triggered mini-poo is not reported as much because it's rarely lethal. But one cannot deny that sometimes a dog's prey drive gets triggered by human behavior, esp noisy kids running around or running away. I'd much rather deal with a triggered Chihauhau than a Rottie or PB.

And some dogs are territorial. The Rottie that attacked didn't seem to be a "mean" dog. But the wife and my Bichon were in it's perceived territory on the street both times... and it defended it. Dumb owner, not a bad dog. (ETA: I quickly learned not to approach PU beds with Rotties in them, and at my buddy's house in Wasilla I wasn't to get out of my car until the owner secured the dogs. This breed does seem to be territorial by nature.)

My lil mini-poo is food aggressive with other dogs, and only likes one dog that she's been around a lot... all other dogs she meets are growled at with bared teeth. She wouldn't hurt a human, but all the barking/greeting sure gets some upset. When we walk her, we always have her on a leash. Not only is it the law, but it just is common sense. I don't take her to doggie parks where she could run free because she doesn't like other dogs. Esp big dogs. Or really small dogs which she seems to think are prey.

Not even gonna waste my time with a reply as I said let's walk our dogs side-by-side see who's dog is better it's not the breed it's the owner
The discussion was not about who's dog is better but more specifically which dogs are more likely to bite/attack etc.

The following are some statistics to support it from Dogbite.org. If you click on the link there are graphs from 2020 back to 2005 showing 'Pitts' to be the overwhelming leader in FATAL dog attacks. I can only imagine what the non-fatal numbers are.

In the 16-year period of 2005 through 2020, canines killed 568 Americans. Pit bulls contributed to 67% (380) of these deaths. Combined, pit bulls and rottweilers contributed to 76% of the total recorded deaths.

Unfortunately numbers like this do NOT support, ' it's not the breed it's the owner' as you said.

With all due respect to 'Bro dogs' being your 'jam' and 'Pitts' being your breed for your life, you sound like the typical 'Pitt' owner who is quick to defend them even before they are 'accused' of anything. I suspect this is because deep down you KNOW they have a greater propensity to attack/bite and are in denial over it, or simply unwilling to accept it for whatever reasons.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top