JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just ran across this looking for something else, thought you might find it handy, sorry if it's a repost!
HERE

What I don't understand is, virtually all states that Washington has reciprocity with, Oregon does, too. So why don't we share carrying rights between the two next-door neighbors?

:huh:

The parent page of the list looks like a good resource too; http://www.handgunlaw.us/

I don't know about anyone else, but trying to open a pdf in my browser locks up my junk for about 10 minutes.

Aside from that, handgunlaw.us is indeed a pretty good resource. Bear in mind that even though your CCW documentation is valid in another state, they will have their own laws regarding the carry of firearms on your person or in your vehicle. I took a trip to North Carolina last summer. They honor WA state CPLs and most of their laws are similar to ours, but not all of them.

In North Carolina, a legally concealed pistol is subject to different restrictions than Oregon's? I'm not sure I understand your post completely...
Can you give us some example?

Thanks

If you're referring to JumpWing's post, I think he means that subtle differences in carry laws do exist. For example, in Texas, it's illegal (at least it was when I lived there) to carry a concealed weapon into a place that generates 51% or more of it's revenue from the sale of alcohol. Signs are posted just inside the entrance to let folks know with 51% in LARGE letters along with the verbage of the law.

In North Carolina, a legally concealed pistol is subject to different restrictions than Oregon's? I'm not sure I understand your post completely...
Can you give us some example?

Thanks

I think you're misunderstanding that chart.It is a list,by state,of which states honor that states permit,not a list of whose permit is honored by any particular state.Oregon does not have reciprocity with anyone,and does not honor any other states permits.The entry under Oregon is which states honor the Oregon permit...

You're right, Washinton honors Montana but Montana does not recognize Washington... And whatssamatta Oregon, not accepting anybodys?

This is more messed up than it looked, even! We really could use that national bill to pass. I'm sure mystified as to why they decided to try it now, probably the worst timing in a generation. :huh: Why not 2 years ago!?

If a national reciprocity bill is passed,it could make it easier for the feds to ban CCW nationwide,an idea which Obama has supported in the past.Personally,I'd prefer to keep it completely within the "states rights" area.

In reference to your earlier post,Doc,when you are in another state that honors your Oregon or Washington permit,you are required to obey their CCW laws,not the state you are from.I was recently in Arizona,which honors Oregons permit.One major difference in CCW laws between the two is in AZ no carrying in any place that serves alcohol for on-site comsumption,not so in OR.I had to be very careful where I ate if I wanted to keep my gun on me...

Also,using the link in the OP,scroll down for a list of who your state honors,I have a warm feeling for those states designated as honoring any other states permits,I do agree they should all read like that...

Right, I understood about local laws governing the mode, such as some sates require that weapons be completely concealed (Nevada? I think).

Not sure though whether all states' mutual reciprocity would make a technical difference in passage of a Federal anti-carry law; you are referring to their using a national reciprocity to scare the sheeple into supporting such a move?

You know there is such a reciprocity bill being put forward right now-

I'm referring to the possibilities should the feds get their hands in it at all,remember Obama is from Illinois,one of 2 states that are Non-Issue states...No civilian,for any reason,may CCW in Illinois or Wisconsin...They simply do not have any system in place to allow their citizens to carry,period...

They can go ahead and make that move regardless of reciprocity laws, can't they? That's my point.

It's ironic that Illinois should be so restrictive considering their history of being run by organized crime.

* You can build your own reciprocity map here.

* OR does not have reciprocity with any state. Other states are just gracious enough to accept our OR CHL.

* There was a time I envied Alaska and Vermont folks, that was until I realized they do not have any CCW license, thus, cannot enjoy any reciprocity agreement with anyone. I wonder how they go around it (i.e. whose out-of-state CCW they get).

* It is indeed important to be aware of each state's CCW laws. For instance, can't carry inside a Mormon church at UT. Also, UT allows you to conceal other firearms, not just handguns.

* Although I am all for a national reciprocity law, I would not trust any firearm related law coming from
the Obama administration. :gun21:

Doc: Yes, I was saying that although another state may accept your home state's CPL, you have to know and follow the rules of the state in which you are visiting. The details can be subtle (like the 51% alcohol sales rule mentioned earlier) or more definitive such as laws regarding carry in a church, bank, or public/private transportation.

In Washington State, a CPL allows me to legally carry a loaded pistol on my person while driving my car. Another state, though it shares reciprocity with WA, might forbid this action to their own CPL holders; in which case it would be illegal for me as well if I were visiting.

Reciprocity means "We'll recognize your license to carry concealed, but you'll do it according to OUR rules."

Something I've never understood is why the whole concealed carry issue cannot be dealt with under the constitutional proscription against states interfering with interstate commerce. Seems to me if I, as a Washington resident, can carry a weapon upon my person in my home state, but Oregon prohibits my doing so (even requiring I register with them to do so, with no guarantees they'll grant it when I DO ask) on the occasions I happen to cross their ancient green bridge, then the State of Oregon is restricting my free travel into/through that state... thus restricting interstate commerce (one can hardly travel anymore without somehow, at some level, taking part in commerce.. even if I only burn fuel for which I've paid (too much) money) I am amazed this basic constitutional issue has not been addressed in this instance. NO state has any problem with my using my Washington driving license and registered vehicle to enter their state, no registering or signing in there involved. And we all know the laws for vehicles/driving vary from state to state. So why, if I can legally carry in Washington, can any other state forbid it upon my entry there? If such laws do not restrict interstate commerce, then what law possibly can?

Something I've never understood is why the whole concealed carry issue cannot be dealt with under the constitutional proscription against states interfering with interstate commerce. Seems to me if I, as a Washington resident, can carry a weapon upon my person in my home state, but Oregon prohibits my doing so (even requiring I register with them to do so, with no guarantees they'll grant it when I DO ask) on the occasions I happen to cross their ancient green bridge, then the State of Oregon is restricting my free travel into/through that state... thus restricting interstate commerce (one can hardly travel anymore without somehow, at some level, taking part in commerce.. even if I only burn fuel for which I've paid (too much) money) I am amazed this basic constitutional issue has not been addressed in this instance. NO state has any problem with my using my Washington driving license and registered vehicle to enter their state, no registering or signing in there involved. And we all know the laws for vehicles/driving vary from state to state. So why, if I can legally carry in Washington, can any other state forbid it upon my entry there? If such laws do not restrict interstate commerce, then what law possibly can?

Interesting point...

The Antis would probably agree with that idea as long as you register your guns the way you do your cars,and obtain a gun owners license that would require renewal every few years.Then ALL states would be "May Issue" instead of "Shall Issue" for guns,just like drivers licenses.You do understand that being issued a drivers license is considered a privilege,NOT a right,don't you?

Not to mention the mandatory insurance they'd require...On EACH gun...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top