JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
An out of state private party seller ships the firearm to your designated FFL with a color copy of their drivers license, so your FFL can enter it in their bound book.

Last Edited:
Yes sir, interstate commerce of firearms needs to go through an FFL in your home state for final transfer to you.

Unless of course, you just happen to be a criminal already, then of course, this will not apply to you...

Here's a wrinkle, what if the buyer doesn't pass the BGC.
Who does the buyers FFL ship the firearm back to? Not to the seller, but must he ship to an FFL in their home state, and then does the original seller/shipper have to go through a BGC just to recover their own firearm.

I did an out of state long gun sale a few weeks ago. It was pretty simple. Honestly, the majority of the risk is on the buyer. I got my payment before I shipped anything. My buyer paid the shipping/insurance costs. I shipped via my FFL (Tigard Pawn 4 More). They do keep a color copy of my ODL for their records, but it doesn't go with the gun. They shipped direct to my buyer's FFL. At that point, the buyer has to pass the BGC. If they don't, in talking with TP4M, they said what they've done before is to offer to sell it on consignment for the buyer, which would be a loss for the buyer, but they could still recoup some of their money. But as I understand it, once I shipped it, it's out of my hands at that point. Since my buyer was taking a risk trusting me, I did do my best to keep him informed of the step by step process along the way. Once he got the gun, he emailed me back and thanked me for keeping in touch throughout the process, even said the gun was better than he had thought it would be.

https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/unlicensed-persons

Basically, a non-FFL always has to ship to an FFL, regardless of whether it is a sale/repair/etc.

An unlicensed person can ship directly to an FFL without using an FFL to do the shipping.

I believe an FFL who received a firearm from you for repair or modification can ship back directly to you, without a BGC or going through an FFL on your end - at least with regard to federal law - state law may vary. I am not sure about sales that don't go through.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top