Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Recieiver bulk purchase question

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by gearheadbill, Nov 5, 2012.

1. gearheadbill

gearheadbill Everett area Member

A lot of you guys have a wealth of knowledge and experience and I appreciate your willingness to share it.

Any DON'T DO'S associated with purchasing AR uppers or lowers in quantity? Obviously one needs to be certain of the quality of the parts, pricing etc.. The reason I'm asking is that the prices/values of guns and ammo are climbing along with inflation, rather than static like our paychecks etc.. I have some extra investment dollars and I like diversification. Seems like a realistic place to park some bucks.

Any advice? I am not looking for generalized investment advice or a discussion of brand names; only advice as to what to do, not to do with the actual purchase details. ATF red flags, "crap, I wish I had done it this way" type things.

2. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Well if you are buying and selling in the manner you describe you very well could find yourself considered "engaged in the business of buying and selling firearms" which requires you to have a license. If you are not licensed you could run into some legal troubles.

3. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

I take it you didn't see what happened to prices after the last election? Lowers went from $150 down to as low as $45. If you want to invest in something "gun" related, buy ammo.

4. KCB

KCB Hillsboro Active Member

I couldn't agree more about purchasing ammo, however I don't see lowers falling anywhere near those levels ever again (Our currancy value has dropped too much since). Now if and when they enact another AWB which at least one candidate has clearly expressed he will try and do, having a stack of AR lowers will be a very sound investment.

5. gearheadbill

I didn't say anything about buying and selling; hoarding would be closer to it. However, I take your point. If I were ever to sell, depending on the gun climate, it would be one-at-a-time private sale. But thanks for the input.

6. gearheadbill

Yes, I am buying ammo as well as varied other items. AWB or not I just think that money tied up in hardware AND consumables will keep pace with inflation, hyper-inflation etc.. IF there is another AWB I'll look like a genius. If not they will continue to rise with the cost of living, not deteriorate like the buying power of the dollar. Thanks

7. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

This would be good if the possible ban was not to include the proposed ban on transfering the rifle (lower) like has been mentioned.

8. raindog

raindog Portland, OR Active Member

Depends on the ban. If memory serves, in most states you could buy and sell lowers all you wanted...it was the add-ons (pistol grip, flash suppressor, magazine size, etc.) that were banned.

9. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

You can buy as many uppers as you want - no worries as they are not considered firearms and there is no background check, etc. associated with them. As stated above - if you bought a bunch of lowers and started selling them flags could be raised. That said, I don't believe that buying a 10 pack of stripped lowers would be an issue. Remember that after the last election prices jumped a ton starting just before the election and dropped over time so who knows what will happen with prices. Also noted above - if they were to pass another AWB (their terminology not mine) they may go after transfers, or like CA is trying to do with the "bullet button ban" simply make everything illegal on the spot with no grandfather clause "allowing you" to keep your property.

10. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

If you believe that the product will increase in value, there are ways to make those kinds of investments without actually purchasing massive quantities.

11. Misterbill

Misterbill Yakima County, Washington New Member

Bulk lower purchase (I assume you mean over 50 since you say "bulk?") absolutely requires a FFL. Even 19 or more, you're pushing the edges unless you use 6 of them yourself.

UPPERS, BCGS, Trigger Assemblies, sights etc you can buy and sell to your heart's content without issue. But LOWERS will get you into trouble.

FYI, my wife and I were looking into starting a gun shop here in the area and we couldn't see any way around aside from the FFL, about a $75 MINIMUM investment just to get started. Our math worked out closer to $170k and we decided it just wasn't worth the risk in our town. If you have the money freely available it's a good deal. If you have to borrow even half of it, paying interest, it's a big risk and you'd better be 110% sure you're able to justify that risk in terms of your marketing ability and customer service across the board, from sales to service to gunsmithing.

Mounting optics is a huge revenue source. And a lack of ability to do this in-house will COST you a lot of customers.

12. gearheadbill

care to share a little more?

13. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

Buy stock.