JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thoughts?

They both are short actions, both use the same barrel size (.300AAC has 5R and a different twist).

I have a Rem 700 SPS Tac in .308 Win in 20" and a .300AAC-SD (threaded) 16.5" and I have rolled the idea around to convert the Blackout to .308 Win to have a shorter barrel rifle that's threaded.

To me... It appears that it would need the obvious rechambering AND a new bolt to handle the .308 face and a different internal magazine box for the longer round.

Besides the three things listed above; what else is stopping this from being done?

Yes I like compact rifles.

Google turns up NOTHING on this. I mean one could just get a different barrel but I'm thinking rechambering is cheaper than having a new barrel put on it.

@Velzey
Don't forget the parent case of most .300AAC rounds is a .223 case:

image.jpg
Either needs bolt machined or a new bolt.

small bolt face has plenty of material to be opened up to the .308 not an issue

But then you would lose your rifle your going to use for your suppressor !! And that barrel is a 1:7 twist...hmmm

Know if we just knew of a gunsmith around here...o_O

small bolt face has plenty of material to be opened up to the .308 not an issue

But then you would lose your rifle your going to use for your suppressor !! And that barrel is a 1:7 twist...hmmm

Know if we just knew of a gunsmith around here...o_O

I misunderstood. I was thinking you meant use it without modification. Of course that's silly beans!

It's nothing I plan to jump on quickly or maybe even at all.

Gunsmith.... Hmmmm.

@Velzey , what's your thoughts on that 1:7 twist for bullet weights and being in a 16.5" barrel? Would have a loud bark with medium loads in .308 unless using a fast powder to ensure burn in that time (doubtful). If this were taken as a project how far away is the Salmonberry wilderness and what kind of wompum would be needed to accommodate this?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top