JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello Members,
This is my second thread this month. For a full story of what I have received please view my first thread in the members introduction area HERE.

Thanks to the members for helping me reassure my options, I have began cleaning the collection I received and will post pictures as I have them done. What i'm hoping is those who are familiar with a gun(s) can help me learn a little more information about them. (IE: Selling price, rarity, things to look for etc...) Some I know little about, some I have a general idea of what it is. I'll list what I know in hopes you can confirm or deny what faq's I've found.

I've taken these with one of my mid-grade cameras, if you feel a higher resolution photo is needed, please just ask. This camera is just quicker.

IM IN NO RUSH TO SELL THESE so dealers don't ask! For those individuals interested in a PARTICULAR gun feel free to pm me. I've received several pm's from people taking me for a fool. That I am not. I'm simply using this forum for what its for; guns. Seems like a great place with knowledgeable members, I'd like to show my collection to those whom know about these guns to gain some insight on them.

First Gun:

Type: M1A Socom 16
Make: Springfield Armory
Caliber: 7.62x51mm (.308)
Year: Unknown
Value: $1500-1700

This gun has never been shot, I was with my uncle when the gun arrived in the mail, and I know he hasn't made it to a shooting range in over a year.

DSCF9097.jpg

DSCF9109.jpg

DSCF9108.jpg

DSCF9110.jpg

DSCF9114.jpg

DSCF9101.jpg

DSCF9112.jpg

DSCF9111.jpg

Type: M14SA
Make: Federal Ordnance
Year: ?
Value: Unknown

This gun has been shot, appears to have some type of plastic, fiberglass stock? Stock has some rub marks, but overall in decent shape.

DSCF9118.jpg

DSCF9119.jpg

DSCF9121.jpg

DSCF9122.jpg

DSCF9124.jpg

DSCF9127.jpg

DSCF9128.jpg

Type: M14SA
Make: US Ridle
Year: 1959-60
Value: Unknown

This gun has been shot, appears to have some type of plastic, fiberglass stock? Stock has some rub marks, but overall in decent shape.

Federal Ordnance is the manufacturer. USGI parts on their receiver, IIRC. Probably from the 80's.

The bi pod alone on that M-14 is worth at least $200 if it is a genuine GI. Look for US stamped into it. The last one I had that I sold was over $200.

Tim
Desert Rat Surplus

Some nice rifles you have there, i got a Socom 16 just like that i got about a year ago and paid $1295. More bipod infor..... Yes an original is now going for $200-300 depending on the condition. Some of the copies are very good and some even are stamped US. What to look for are the upper yoke parts were blazed together, the legs have extremely nice tig welds and in good enough condition you may be able to make out the green proof mark stamps. Probably the esiest way to tell is the bolt that clamps the bipod to the gas cylinder, it will be a hex bolt with a flatblade slot in it that is the same size as the gas cylinder plug so that it could be installed and removed with the m14 tool in the cleaning kit. I have attached pictures to help

DSCN0427.jpg

DSCN0424.jpg

DSCN0423.jpg

If anyone have an idea of the value on the Federal Ordinance M1SA? I'm having a difficult time pinpointing the manufacturing date to determine whether its made with USGI parts or Chinese. There isn't much information on when the SA's began production and there serial numbers appear to be a different range then a M1A

The bi pod alone on that M-14 is worth at least $200 if it is a genuine GI. Look for US stamped into it. The last one I had that I sold was over $200.

Tim
Desert Rat Surplus

Yes an original is now going for $200-300 depending on the condition. Some of the copies are very good and some even are stamped US. What to look for are the upper yoke parts were blazed together, the legs have extremely nice tig welds and in good enough condition you may be able to make out the green proof mark stamps. Probably the esiest way to tell is the bolt that clamps the bipod to the gas cylinder, it will be a hex bolt with a flatblade slot in it that is the same size as the gas cylinder plug so that it could be installed and removed with the m14 tool in the cleaning kit. I have attached pictures to help

Thank you guys, this is the information I need. I have one more rifle with a similar bipod, however I'll inspect that when I begin to clean it.

As for this particular one we are referring to. I could not find any identifying marks. It does have writing on the front attachment point. It reads "Bi-pod rifle M2". The tig welds on the bottom feet are very well done.

I do have this picture showing a closer look, if you think it may be something worth looking more into, I can take pictures with my good Nikon in the particular areas you suggest.

DSCF9123.jpg

I appreciate you taking the time to post the individual photos and look forward to more, particularly the M1 carbine.

Well I worked on this one per your request. This is the one I was most worried about due to the surface rushed. However, with some brushing and solvent the rust lifted off without issues. There is some small pitting in a few areas, but overall once cleaned this rifle has some shine back into it!

Type: 2nd Gen M1 Carbine
Make: Universal
Caliber: .30 Carbine
Year: ?
Value: $450ish

DSCF9131.jpg

DSCF9135.jpg

DSCF9132.jpg

DSCF9137.jpg

DSCF9140.jpg

DSCF9138.jpg

Thank you guys, this is the information I need. I have one more rifle with a similar bipod, however I'll inspect that when I begin to clean it.

As for this particular one we are referring to. I could not find any identifying marks. It does have writing on the front attachment point. It reads "Bi-pod rifle M2". The tig welds on the bottom feet are very well done.

I do have this picture showing a closer look, if you think it may be something worth looking more into, I can take pictures with my good Nikon in the particular areas you suggest.

DSCF9123.jpg

Here are a couple more pics with the markings, make sure it has the number on the upper right of the yoke. Also look at the release buttons. Again the biggest thing to check is the attachment bolt, as you can see what it looks like in my pic, every copy I have seen has had an Allen bolt here. From your pic, it looks like it may be a copy as the leg release buttons look to be welded on ans not brazed, you can see the gold colored brazing in my pics, very clean in this area with no weld marks.

e0e2d687.jpg

fac71732.jpg .

Mine appear to be fake, there are no US markings nor a serial number.

Also I have a section on the legs that is welded and yours appear to be pressed pinned together.

Thank you for supplying the pictures!

99.99% sure it is a copy. There are welds where brazing should be. Look at the joints of the yoke on yours compared to the ones on mine. Still makes a nice package if kept with the rifle. Curious, what type of attachment bolt does it have on the yoke?

Before you sell the Socom 16 (if you do) take it out and shoot it, they are a nice gun and I love mine!

Sorry for your loss....but man did he give you a fun project! Very cool gift for you.

Now I have never done more than hold and shoulder a Socom and I wouldn't even think of selling one that I had to buy,let alone one given to me.They just don't take up enough room to worry about.

Have good thoughts of your uncle and have fun with this. Good luck

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top