JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The vote for the National Park carry amendment to the Credit Card act is through. It is widely known as the 'Coburn' amendment as Senator Coburn (R-OK) introduced it. It passed the senate 67-29-3, and the House 279-147-7. So barring all the credit card companies deciding to convert to non-profits or charities in the next 48 hours, it's a done deal when it hits the O-meister's desk. So how did our PNW legislators do on this issue in regards to standing up for constitutional rights and gun rights? Pretty badly, actually. Washington was abysmal - right up there with CA, MA, IL, NY, and MA in percentage against it. Oregon was better, thanks largely to it's senators both going for it. In the house, OR was fairly apathetic, too.

Here's the actual votes: Note this is for just the amendment, not the bill overall. This is a straight vote on whether these folks think citizens can be allowed to carry concealed weapons. Nothing more, nothing less:

In the house:
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=h2009-277

In the Senate:
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=s2009-188

In the Senate, both OR senators voted For. Both WA senators voted AGAINST.

In the House, here's the summary:

Oregon:
Nay OR-1 Wu, David [D]
Yea OR-2 Walden, Greg [R]
Nay OR-3 Blumenauer, Earl [D]
Yea OR-4 DeFazio, Peter [D]
Yea OR-5 Schrader, Kurt [D]

Washington:
Nay WA-1 Inslee, Jay [D]
Nay WA-2 Larsen, Rick [D]
Nay WA-3 Baird, Brian [D]
Yea WA-4 Hastings, Doc [R]
Yea WA-5 McMorris Rodgers, Cathy [R]
Nay WA-6 Dicks, Norman [D]
Nay WA-7 McDermott, James [D]
Yea WA-8 Reichert, Dave [R]
Yea WA-9 Smith, Adam [D]

When they come at you next year for money for their mid-term campaigns, don't forget this.

Our Senators in WA did just as their Dem Party rulers ordered them. As did all but one of our Dem Congressmen. Adam Smith is to be commended. A note in his email would not be out of order.

Pops

An aside, but part of our terminally sick policital system is this sort of thing: WHY is a law concerning FIREARMS ammended to a bill concerning CREDIT CARDS? The ONLY connexion I can imagine is that I most often use my credit card for the purchase of firearms and ammunition.... this is STUPID!!!

In any case, I am glad the ammendment passed..... the fact that the Constitution has not applied in national parks has been rather barmy.

As to our Washington "senators"... yup, anti individual rights all the way. Except for "certain" "rights", if ya get ma drift.... I wish we could throw both of these wackos out.... maybe the best solution is to vote with my feet... move out of Washington.

An aside, but part of our terminally sick policital system is this sort of thing: WHY is a law concerning FIREARMS ammended to a bill concerning CREDIT CARDS? The ONLY connexion I can imagine is that I most often use my credit card for the purchase of firearms and ammunition.... this is STUPID!!!

In any case, I am glad the ammendment passed..... the fact that the Constitution has not applied in national parks has been rather barmy.

As to our Washington "senators"... yup, anti individual rights all the way. Except for "certain" "rights", if ya get ma drift.... I wish we could throw both of these wackos out.... maybe the best solution is to vote with my feet... move out of Washington.

Totally agree. But what rights do Americans really have anymore? Our government wants to baby its people and be their mother. Tell us what to say, what to think, and how to act. We are not free any longer for that would offend Mexico!

Well yes--but if Wu could have voted "maybe" he would have. The only
thing he seems to have an opinion on is that he's all in favor of saying
whatever it takes to get re-elected.:)

Precisely the basis on which I say "t'row da bumms owt". The other main fault I have with our present political situation is precisely this sort of thinking: whatever it takes to get re-elected.

Media fawning and promoting seems to be the basis on which most people vote. Until that changes to "what does this candidate believe in and stand for", and "what are his values that will drive his voting on our behalf", and "how has he SERVED his constituents in the past" we will continue to forgo our rights and freedoms, instead becoming increasingly infantised by the cancerous nanny state, seeing to every detail of our lives from cradle to an early grave.

Public representatives/servants of this ilk need to be de-elected next go-round, or, even better, removed from their posts when malfeasance in office can be proven. You can't build a building on a foundation of sand. For when the rain comes (as it surely will) the footing WILL wash out from under.

And most of this sort of lout realise only too plainly that their best hope against a rising awareness of their corruption and selfishness is to disarm the populace. Their voting records plainly demonstrate this.

Precisely the basis on which I say "t'row da bumms owt". The other main fault I have with our present political situation is precisely this sort of thinking: whatever it takes to get re-elected.

Media fawning and promoting seems to be the basis on which most people vote. Until that changes to "what does this candidate believe in and stand for", and "what are his values that will drive his voting on our behalf", and "how has he SERVED his constituents in the past" we will continue to forgo our rights and freedoms, instead becoming increasingly infantised by the cancerous nanny state, seeing to every detail of our lives from cradle to an early grave.

Public representatives/servants of this ilk need to be de-elected next go-round, or, even better, removed from their posts when malfeasance in office can be proven. You can't build a building on a foundation of sand. For when the rain comes (as it surely will) the footing WILL wash out from under.

And most of this sort of lout realise only too plainly that their best hope against a rising awareness of their corruption and selfishness is to disarm the populace. Their voting records plainly demonstrate this.

Yep, and it all starts at the top.

Only way I can figure it is that both the credit card bill, AND guns help keep you from being robbed. :)

So I wasn't too sure about what the credit card bill was and what it did. I thought for a minute that maybe the bill was why it got the nay votes and not the amendment, but I was wrong.

Evidently, the House Rules Committe separated the NP amendment from the bill and voted on it apart from the bill. So really, there is no excuse whatsoever, and I agree completely that we should kick the bums out and replace them with people that are willing to respect and defend the Constitution!

Evidently, the House Rules Committe separated the NP amendment from the bill and voted on it apart from the bill. So really, there is no excuse whatsoever,

Yes, the votes I cited above are for the NP amendment only, not the whole bill. Those are the votes of our legislators broken down specifically to the NP amendment and your right to carry.

so, no question, our pair of senatrices need to head on down the road. The WA ones, at any rate. But I've known that for years.... hope enough more figure it out so we can wave them adios........

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top