JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recently purchased a new hand gun with a concealed carry permit in Washington. Had previously purchased one as well in july just after 1639 took effect and it took roughly 4 businesses days looking to see if anyone has some times as of recently cause of holidays.

Dang hopefully it wont be that long last time was only 4 days I believe maybe 5 and that was a couple days after the law went into effect. What county or city was it in?

Purchased a handgun online through Sportsman Warehouse in Vancouver, WA on 12/7. Received notice the handgun was available so I went into the store today (12/12) to pick it up (sort-of-speak) and fill out the paperwork. Great group of guys there. Told me Clark County is running 2-3 weeks on background checks. Sigh...

Imagine an America where you have to ask for Government permission to :

Attend a church.
Print or broadcast an opinion.
Gather with a group of like minded individuals.
Get it?:eek:

Aloha, Mark

Just picked up a new pistol, did paperwork on the 4th, so 17 days for Clark County.

Edited to add I have a CPL in WA, OR and AZ, have former LEO and military service and have had and still hold a top secret clearance with the DOD and DOE. So what's some county level policy wonk going to.find that would not already have been found?

Last Edited:
Just picked up a new pistol, did paperwork in the 4th, so 17 days for Clark County.
Sadly this is the new norm now. Unless the State is forced by voters to set up another system to do insta checks this is how it's going to be now. As has been many times mentioned 1639 has zero to do with why hand guns take so long now. The way so many think that law is whats wrong probably speaks volumes as to how that law got passed in the first place. So many gun owners just do not pay attention to whats going on. I keep hoping many more wake up by this coming election and make their voice heard!!:)

Recently purchased a new hand gun with a concealed carry permit in Washington. Had previously purchased one as well in july just after 1639 took effect and it took roughly 4 businesses days looking to see if anyone has some times as of recently cause of holidays.
Jesus Christ....whe will people understand 1639 had nothing to do with longer background checks. Geeez.....read the news. The FBI was scheduled to stop the checks july 1 thus the local LEO have to do it. Cmon man....

Just picked up a new pistol, did paperwork on the 4th, so 17 days for Clark County.

Edited to add I have a CPL in WA, OR and AZ, have former LEO and military service and have had and still hold a top secret clearance with the DOD and DOE. So what's some county level policy wonk going to.find that would not already have been found?
Well it's in "just in case"you have committed a crime since all that was last ran through the system.
And "just in case" your recently developed evil side can be persuaded by your good side within in ten days time not to carry out some sinister plot to harm yourself or someone else..
.:s0008:
That is.. "just in case" the firearm you are purchasing is to be used for such a thing... and "just in case" you don't already have a fire arm..... because who knows.... maybe paid for all the classes and application fees, received multiple CPLs in different jurisdictions, but somehow never got around to ever purchasing a firearm... and if you did... it's just in case you lost that one in an unfortunate boating accident.... the 10 days should be enough to make sure you aren't doing anything rash.
This is common sense stuff.... for the children.

3A0C686E-D618-49BF-876B-269CAB7E5C2F.jpeg

I might be wrong on this, but I don't think so. In reading the body of 1639, as long as your dealer has an ATF number, your LGS should be able to release the gun to you on the 11th day. Several of us in the King County area have pushed the LGS's on this, and after checking in with their attorneys started releasing guns on the 11th day. I live in Renton where the PD is pretty good, but King County residents were really having long wait times. You guys should download the final copy of 1639, read it and go talk to your LGS.

1639 has nothing to do with this.

The handgun BGC requirement stem from a intuitive from four or five years ago, the initiative number escapes me at the moment. Since the State did not have a BGC system in place at the time they petitioned the FBI to run the checks. The FBI agreed to do this for a period of two years to allow Washington State to get a system in place and running. The state drug its feet and never put the resources in place to do this and petitioned the FBI several times to extend the courtesy checks.

So, as of 01 July of this year, after years of warning the State, the FBI finally quit doing courtesy BGCs and forced Washington to use their own resources to enforce their own laws. Since the FBI granted an automatic approval for a CPL holder that allowed a holder to walk out of the store the same day as purchase. The Washington law does not grant this exception.

The law does give the same 10 day time frame as the language that is used in 1639 but it's a useless clause. No FFL holder in his right mind will release a firearm until the approved comes through. The legal complexity of releasing a firearm to someone who later shows as a denied person is too messy, so the will hold the handgun until the buyer is approved or they come and cancel the transaction. If you have LGS doing this in your area I'm very surprised and doubt they have had a good discussion with their legal advisor. While technically free from liability the reality is FFL holders have faced legal fees and worse when a delayed approval came back "denied" and the firearm had been released.

The fact that these provisions became effective the same date as I-1639 is just a coincidence, that is not surprising since many statures become effective at the beginning of the fiscal year which in Washington is ... you guessed it … 01 July.

Last Edited:
The LGS's releasing after ten days are Pantel's Ben's Loans and MacCallen Defense. There may be others, but I haven't done business with them since 1639. You raise a good point tho - who does come after my gun if I am declined? 1639 is clear tho, local authorities have 10 days to confirm or deny. As a law abiding citizen, if denied I would return the gun until the appeal is settled. But still - you raise a good question that I will bring to my attorney. When I hear back, I will post.

RCW 9.41.090 says a dealer can't deliver until 1a: purchaser produces a valid CCW (but the paragraph doesn't end in "or" or "and" so that really is a bit of nonsense; 1b: the chief or sheriff notifies yea or nay; OR 1c: the requirements or 9.41.092 are met. RCW 9.41.092 says the dealer may deliver handguns the earlier of: 1a: the BGC is in and you are good to go; OR 1b: 10 business days have elapsed since the BGC was submitted (if you have a valid WADL). I guess this means you are approved if no word after 10 business days have elapsed.

I am not an attorney, but the attorneys for Ben's Loans and MacCallens told them to go ahead with the transfers. I don't know how the process was done at Pantels.

RCW 9.41.090 says a dealer can't deliver until 1a: purchaser produces a valid CCW (but the paragraph doesn't end in "or" or "and" so that really is a bit of nonsense; 1b: the chief or sheriff notifies yea or nay; OR 1c: the requirements or 9.41.092 are met. RCW 9.41.092 says the dealer may deliver handguns the earlier of: 1a: the BGC is in and you are good to go; OR 1b: 10 business days have elapsed since the BGC was submitted (if you have a valid WADL). I guess this means you are approved if no word after 10 business days have elapsed.

I am not an attorney, but the attorneys for Ben's Loans and MacCallens told them to go ahead with the transfers. I don't know how the process was done at Pantels.
This is probably one of the most misunderstood parts of the law here in WA. The dealer has to give the State 10 Buis. days to say no or delay. Now some dealers will at the end of this, if they did not get a declined or delayed from Feds or State, let the gun walk out. Many will not do so out of fear. As I have warned anyone who will hear it. Want to buy or transfer a handgun in this state the time to ask is before cash changes hands. Just ask the dealer how they handle it if there is a delay. If the dealer says no, then either go to another or be prepared to wait. Its very hit and miss even when people are using the same CLEO. Often the same person in the same CLEO. One time they get the proceed in days, next time it's weeks. No rhyme or reason.
The most important thing other than asking someone who can speak for the dealer, NOT some counter jockey, is not to be an asshat to the dealer. Being such or making threats is NOT going to make it go better. Ask up front how they do things. If you accept what they told you then try to remain processional with them if it does not go as fast as you would like. When its over if not happy time to try another.

My most recent handgun took 52 days to receive a proceed. Check with your dealer before hand how they handle things, big box stores won't let anything go without a approval. And as already stated 1639 has nothing to do with handguns.

Purchased a handgun online through Sportsman Warehouse in Vancouver, WA on 12/7. Received notice the handgun was available so I went into the store today (12/12) to pick it up (sort-of-speak) and fill out the paperwork. Great group of guys there. Told me Clark County is running 2-3 weeks on background checks. Sigh...
Update: Got a call today (1/3) that my handgun is ready for pick up. In the end it took 16 calendar days or 12 business days of which 2 were holidays (Christmas and New Years)... basically a 2 week wait. Cheers.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top