JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Been fishing a lot in the community lakes in our little rural subdivision of late - its 1.1 miles from the house, on the way out of the subdivision (one way in or out only) so I stop every morning and fish for a bit after taking the kiddo up to the school bus stop, and I might hit it up in the late afternoon as well. Mid days are pretty slow, bite wise, so I don't do a lot of mid-day fishing.

27U0pc3.jpg

vWUHY4n.jpg

igSdtcg.jpg

LBsgXve.jpg

We also finagled permission to fish the pond adjacent to my grandparents property - they used to own it, sold it to their neighbor who for the longest time wouldn't allow any access. The crummy part is the access is going away soon - she's selling the property (we asked about it, as we were told she'd be selling this year, but she wasn't ready to sell when we were buying, which sucks!)

Its a bass & panfish pond mostly. Have had numerous break offs on 8-15 lb line, but the average bass size seems to be between 1/2 and 1 pound. Some BIG panfish in there though, at least by Oregon standards!

LDV0hXo.jpg

d5GPfov.jpg

sJ5eH4D.jpg

iXA3k69.jpg

5dEQo0Q.jpg

XqDuHjP.jpg

Some of those were caught fishing for bass - wacky rigged senkos on 1/0 hooks.

There's a fun little creek near the lake in our subdivision too, its got some pretty panfish and outsized bass for a creek so small

tqSunYG.jpg

Z9lF9DW.jpg

0jlChme.jpg

rij1Sne.jpg

KT3S54S.jpg

I'm in heaven, if you can't tell :D

What's next, Noodling? :D

Negative! Aside from the fun things living in the water (fish) we have snapping turtles that can be as large as manhole covers, alligators, and 4 varieties of venomous snakes living in and around the water. You couldn't even pay me to swim in the places I fish off the bank from, let along get me to stick my arm in a hole, under water, that I cannot see. I like all my fingers, toes, arms and other appendages! :D

Those bass look a little under fed. I wonder if feed increases and they fatten up at another time in the year. I luv large mouth bass. Catching of course, eating? :s0170: If I had largemouth and big perch, I'd need no other fish!

Those bass look a little under fed. I wonder if feed increases and they fatten up at another time in the year. I luv large mouth bass. Catching of course, eating? :s0170: If I had largemouth and big perch, I'd need no other fish!

All sunfish are the bestest, mildest tasting fish you could ever eat. I'll put any you catch on my plate!!!

All sunfish are the bestest, mildest tasting fish you could ever eat. I'll put any you catch on my plate!!!

I eat plenty of perch, if that counts? I just ended up being a C & R guy when it came to bass. Over the years I have kept a few smallmouth from time to time when we were catching 8"ers every cast just because I figured I was actually helping the population. I always hated cleaning/filleting them though. They eat fine I guess. We've been to Siltcoos Lake this year for three weeks. Can't beat playing with some bass in the early AM, and switching to perch, to 12" for the table the rest of the day. We brought home a dozen bags of frozen fillets.

Some look spawned out for sure, the ones out of the pond by my grand parents probably are under fed - 99% of the bass caught are clone, cookie cutters of the same size. There are some baitfish, but not enough, IMO. *if* we don't lose access to that pond when it sells (or if my grandparents are successful in their attempt to buy the pond back) we want to stock some baitfish and cull a bunch of bass.

I eat plenty of perch, if that counts? I just ended up being a C & R guy when it came to bass. Over the years I have kept a few smallmouth from time to time when we were catching 8"ers every cast just because I figured I was actually helping the population. I always hated cleaning/filleting them though. They eat fine I guess. We've been to Siltcoos Lake this year for three weeks. Can't beat playing with some bass in the early AM, and switching to perch, to 12" for the table the rest of the day. We brought home a dozen bags of frozen fillets.

Yup, perch are part of the Sunfish family, so they count! But I've always found them to be a pain because IMO they are bony. Where I fished for trout and bass, Phillips Reservoir, somebody made an illegal plant of perch and a few years later you can't get a lure down to the bass w/o 6" perch grabbing it. FAIL!!!

I also used to C&R bass, because I fished for them so often and preferred not to have an outsize impact on the bass population. Never really kept the smaller ones, maybe a few, and would release the really big smallmouth and largemouth (caught and released a 5lb, an 8lb, and a 10lb largemouth out of a 12' boat during a foggy morning on Unity Reservoir one June... great trout trolling there too!!!) If I kept any bass to eat (my favorite eating) it was a medium size fish for the population, and pretty easy to fillet. Not as many bones. Don't even clean them, just cut the fillets out.

I miss fishing. Been Jonesing for it lately. Thinking about trading the 5th wheel since the wife cannot help with camping, and getting a Smokercraft or similar. But she won't go fishing either, and I can't leaver her home alone with her mental deterioration causing me to be her caregiver. IDK. Might have to stick to trying to get some shore fishing in next year.

Steelhead fishing on the Lower Grande Ronde (rafting) and the Imnaha (shore fishing) should be good right now. But I'm just not into cold weather fishing anymore. I need an "Easy" button in order to go...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top