JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey All,

I'm contemplating the purchase of a can for my rifles. All my rifles are threaded i.e. my Galil (.308) is threaded, my AR-15's (5.56 and 6.8SPC) are threaded, and my AK's (7.62) are threaded.

I'm thinking a can rated for .308 will cover the gammit for use on any of my rifles, but what I'm looking for is a can that will accept whatever adapter is needed for any particular rifle.

I haven't looked too closely, but I THINK the Galil is the same thread size and pitch as the AR's, but the AK's are left handed etc. Does anyone make a threaded adapter for the AK to work with a can that would fit on "NATO" muzzles?

Info/opinions on any make/model, any dealer (in Oregon/SW Washington) to use (or avoid) would be appreciated.

(Any dealers are welcome to some "self/product-aggrandizement " here as well) :s0155:

Thanks!

Depending on your price range, check out Advanced Armament's or Yankee Hill's 30 cal cans. I use Wild Bill's Guns in Molalla as my dealer. See what he's got in stock and what he can do for you. You can also order from another stocking dealer/distributor like Major Malfunction and have Wild Bill's do the transfer.
AKs thread jobs are notoriously bad, make sure the threads are concentric to the bore before you use. For thread adapters check with Mark McWillis at TROS.

This is the next can I am looking at for specifically what you are talking about, QUICKSAND - GEMTECH

You can get mounts for almost anything out there. It is QD and the bigger key is light weight. I have a .30 cal can now and while I like it and use it on many of my gun it is very heavy.

The Galili is M13.1, 7.62MM Quickmount for HVT - GEMTECH so not the same as the AR 1/2 x28.

On the AK the thing is to make SURE the barrel was threaded straight. Most (especially the cheep ones) were threaded with the intent of a flash hider which does not require as true of threads. Do a little research on this.

Yes I know this is an expensive can but this is an area to get what you really want the first time. Cans have almost no resale value so you cant really just trade up like you do with guns or other item.

Check out the quality control on the outer tube of a Gemtech MultiMount in this picture and you'll know why I won't be buying anything made by them. Look closely at the difference in wall thickness between the 10 o'clock and 4 o'clock positions. Image is from this thread on silencertalk.

jb_7.jpg

Check out the quality control on the outer tube of a Gemtech MultiMount in this picture and you'll know why I won't be buying anything made by them. Look closely at the difference in wall thickness between the 10 o'clock and 4 o'clock positions. Image is from this thread on silencertalk.

Not trying to defend them but what difference does it make? Obviously it is in spec for its intended use. It is not unsafe. If you have a problem with their cans they are warranted.

I have several cans to include 2 Gemtech Outback 2's. These cans (one being over 5 years old) have seen 10's of thousands of rounds and performed great. I had one that got a baffle strike (my fault) and was still functional but had built up with a lot of lead. I sent it back for service which was quick with a fair price.

Not trying to defend them but what difference does it make? Obviously it is in spec for its intended use. It is not unsafe. If you have a problem with their cans they are warranted.

I have several cans to include 2 Gemtech Outback 2's. These cans (one being over 5 years old) have seen 10's of thousands of rounds and performed great. I had one that got a baffle strike (my fault) and was still functional but had built up with a lot of lead. I sent it back for service which was quick with a fair price.

If anyone wants to pay their money for something that looks like that they are welcome to. I am not. I simply am posting an example of their product and buyers can decide for themselves if this it the level of quality and customer service they want.

Check out the quality control on the outer tube of a Gemtech MultiMount in this picture and you'll know why I won't be buying anything made by them. Look closely at the difference in wall thickness between the 10 o'clock and 4 o'clock positions.
jb_7.jpg

To ME it looks like you are looking at a bevelled surface from an angle and it only looks way out of whack because of this.

Look at the inside wall of the can also, it looks like it goes form zero at 6 'O clock to 1/4" at 1 'O clock.

To ME it looks like you are looking at a bevelled surface from an angle and it only looks way out of whack because of this.

Look at the inside wall of the can also, it looks like it goes form zero at 6 'O clock to 1/4" at 1 'O clock.

The photo came from the owner of the silencer. He claims that the tube is approx 2 to 3 times as thick on one side as the other and the photo is an accurate representation of that. The silencer was sent to a third party mfr for a "jailbreak", unsealing a sealed can and making it user serviceable. Because the bore of the silencer is not concentric with the outside of the tube the third party mfr had to make the new end cap off center to line up with the bore.

The photo came from the owner of the silencer. He claims that the tube is approx 2 to 3 times as thick on one side as the other and the photo is an accurate representation of that. The silencer was sent to a third party mfr for a "jailbreak", unsealing a sealed can and making it user serviceable. Because the bore of the silencer is not concentric with the outside of the tube the third party mfr had to make the new end cap off center to line up with the bore.

+1 ... just got done reading that write-up.... WTH? Methinks I'll NOT be buying "site unseen" and insist on seeing the can in "take down" condition before I buy it.

Keep in mind that SilencerCo is supposed to be coming out with their rifle cans "soon". They make excellent products and their customer service is top notch. I own two of their cans, a .22 and .45, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another when the time comes.

Sorry I thought you were talking about the edge of the baffle, not the actual "wall" thickness, don't know where I got that.

Although the wall thickness issue is a little sloppy, I'm sure it "specs out". I would have to wonder about the "third party mfr" having to do extra work to make a Gemtech product right, given some of the "hate" toward Gemtech from the suppressor industry as a whole. Anyway, if there is something about a particular manufacturer you don't like, there are plenty other quality manufacturers out there.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top