JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My situation is simple, I'm wondering what requirements or options I have to receive a handgun from my parents. They're shipping from South Carolina to me in Oregon. I know an FFL needs to be involved to ship, I have my CHL for Oregon, etc. The questions are more around what can we do to get it to me?

We have an FFL shipper in South Carolina willing to ship to me. However, that's all I can find about transferring in family. Is the fact one person is an FFL enough to mail me the handgun, or does it have to come to another local FFL meaning I have to 'pay' to receive a free item. Also, with family it didn't sound like a background check is required? Not sure if CHL helps, etc.

Looking for advice. Either people to talk to, ways to receive the item, etc.

My only time shipping a firearm involved warranty with Ruger. They gave me a label and I took it into FedEx directly who shipped it to them as an FFL. Then Ruger shipped is right back to me personally with a signature required. So my thoughts are, this can be done with only a single FFL involved?

Last Edited:
It's an interstate transfer of a firearm. It will need to be shipped to a receiving FFL on your end, where you will need to fill out a 4473 and have a background check. I believe the only exception to this would be an inheritance.

The Ruger warranty thing is completely different. Federal law allows returns for repair as an exception.

Definitely use your CHL for your background check ID. Interestingly enough, in Oregon, we have a CHL (Concealed Hand License), not a CWP. We aren't' allowed to carry any other WEAPONS concealed, just handguns.

Last Edited:
It's an interstate transfer of a firearm. It will need to be shipped to a receiving FFL on your end, where you will need to fill out a 4473 and have a background check. I believe the only exception to this would be an inheritance.

The Ruger warranty thing is completely different. Federal law allows returns for repair as an exception.

This is EXACTLY what I missed. Since it's an owner transfer it's no different than purchasing it online, meaning a local FFL has to receive it. Thanks! As for having CHL or any of that, still requires a background check? Even though I've had 3 this year including the CHL one a few months ago?

Now, I just need to find which dealer to receive it. Sure is disheartening to pay $50 to get a free gift.

As for having CHL or any of that, still requires a background check? Even though I've had 3 this year including the CHL one a few months ago?
In Oregon, yes.
Some states go with the chl alone, Oregon doesn't.
But like said above - list it as your secondary ID and things will go faster.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top