JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nothing is "registered" (supposedly) in anyone's name but regardless, if it's a sale or a trade (cash or not) the new Oregon law (recently passed) requires ALL transfers (except for between listed family members) to have a background check conducted through a FFL.

It sucks, but that's the law (for now).

If you even seriously consider giving a gun to someone else without a background check, Prozanski's PreCrime unit will break down your door and throw you in jail for 25 years without parole.

I haven't bought sold or traded private party since the new laws and it seems if you not careful there may be some sting operations out there attacking uninformed law abiding citizens. Is the best idea to meet at a local gun shop and do background? When that happens does the Gun Shop physically take possession of the firearm from the one individual and hand it to the other individual?

I haven't bought sold or traded private party since the new laws and it seems if you not careful there may be some sting operations out there attacking uninformed law abiding citizens. Is the best idea to meet at a local gun shop and do background? When that happens does the Gun Shop physically take possession of the firearm from the one individual and hand it to the other individual?

Different shops may handle things slightly differently - I've done sales at 2 and each one was just a little different. For a trade, both of you will have to fill out a 4473. The gun shop/FFL should take both guns into their possession at this time. Once the backgrounds have been cleared, they will transfer them back to you both. You'll pay a fee for both background checks and a fee for each transfer, which varies from FFL to FFL - so call ahead and check first. About the best price I've seen for a single gun, with BGC, is $25 - some are higher than $50.

Different shops may handle things slightly differently - I've done sales at 2 and each one was just a little different. For a trade, both of you will have to fill out a 4473. The gun shop/FFL should take both guns into their possession at this time. Once the backgrounds have been cleared, they will transfer them back to you both. You'll pay a fee for both background checks and a fee for each transfer, which varies from FFL to FFL - so call ahead and check first. About the best price I've seen for a single gun, with BGC, is $25 - some are higher than $50.
What if it was say for an item like a boat motor then only one would be done? For the person receiving the firearm.

Don't mean to de-rail this too much, but for the purpose of selling or trading the piece with the serial number needs to go through a FFL, Right? You can't just have two "different" trades that are part of the same firearm, that the buyer could then assemble in to a working gun, correct?

What if it was say for an item like a boat motor then only one would be done? For the person receiving the firearm.

Correct. Only the actual firearm, if only one was involved, would required the background check and transfer. The motor would be outside of that transaction and would simply be handled between the two parties.

Don't mean to de-rail this too much, but for the purpose of selling or trading the piece with the serial number needs to go through a FFL, Right? You can't just have two "different" trades that are part of the same firearm, that the buyer could then assemble in to a working gun, correct?

If two folks that owned AR's wanted to trade uppers, that would be perfectly fine without an FFL, if each buyer held onto their own lower receivers.

The part that is considered the "firearm" (unfortunately) requires a UBC. You cannot legally "trade your way around it".

Example: the lower receiver of an AR style weapon (serial numbered or non-numbered "ghost gun") IS the firearm.
If two folks that owned AR's wanted to trade uppers, that would be perfectly fine without an FFL, if each buyer held onto their own lower receivers.
Thanks! I figured it was like that.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top