JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I have a 8 yearbook 10/22 of th first generation of polymer trigger groups and that awful line-x like coating that is so popular. I have never cleaned it short of a boresnake and it finally started failing to chamber correctly. I went to remove the pins which simply fall out of my older 10/22s but these are really stuck! I am not sure if it's from shooting or that coating. I took my arbor press to it and couldn't drive them out - became worried about damaging the receiver as that pressure would have definitely broken a finger. Should I soak it in solvent or oil? Use a bigger hammer? Go nuts with the arbor press? I am thinking of making a wooden block to better support the receiver..

I would use a pin punch and a fair sized hammer opposed to the arbor press. The smack will likely have more effect and will be less likely to cause damage.

Don't know what to tell you about soaking plastic parts in solvent. I am sure there are some polymer safe solvents but I don't know what they are.

If you can remove the barrel and stock, try boiling the receiver in water for a while or run it through the hottest cycle of the dishwasher.
If that doesn't do it, try a hammer and a drive pin. PB Blaster also works wonders.

Same answer. Consider getting an aluminum trigger housing. Once the pins are out by whatever method you can do what I did and slightly sand off the pins reducing the diameter. But it might have been the buffer pin instead. Now I am going to have to go to the gun safe and pull out the Russian night vision suppressed short barrel rifle Ruger 10-22 skunk buster and see. Oh well. I hate getting old and be ... be ... be feebled. :)

But I do remember to say that all Oregon State, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply. :)

www.eliteiron.com

You really should start with a lubricant\penetrant before using a punch.

Frog lube liquid, seal1 liquid will work with plastic.

I understand the slip2000 stuff is also ok with it.

All of these are great suggestions. I use a product called Aerolube. It is actually guaranteed to free rusted nuts etc. I also have a nice set of pin punches and correctly sized hammers. Aerolube is so good, it can be used on wedding nights!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't some of the earlier 10-22 receiver pins tapered?

Could swear one of my oldest is that way. I'll have to check next time I have it apart.

I have an 1989 year model with straight pins. The plastic trigger group failed on the first outing & the dealer I bought it from just replaced it with an aluminum TG, on the spot..;)

I'd try some type of penetrating oil & let it soak for a while.

Last Edited:
I had a ruger 10/22 do this after over 10,000rds of never being cleaned since bought new. few smacks with a punch and mallet pins dropped free.
Cleaned the rifle replaced the buffer pin with a rubber buffer, swapped out the charging handle for a longer one and the rifle ran good as new.
Ruger 10/22s are the only .22lr rifle I own. But I currently own 5, 2 stainless, one built into a bull barrel with frame, 1-stainless takedown, and a charger.

I had a ruger 10/22 do this after over 10,000rds of never being cleaned since bought new. few smacks with a punch and mallet pins dropped free.
Cleaned the rifle replaced the buffer pin with a rubber buffer, swapped out the charging handle for a longer one and the rifle ran good as new.
Ruger 10/22s are the only .22lr rifle I own. But I currently own 5, 2 stainless, one built into a bull barrel with frame, 1-stainless takedown, and a charger.
Owning one is the American thing to do.

Owning many isn't any more American, it's the right thing to do.

I found a OEM spare factory 18" Ruger 10-22 barrel in the big spare parts bin. Forgot I had it. Picked it up and said to myself .... WTF? ... where did THIS come from? An unremembered take off. Much fun. :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top