JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
4/17 Update. Recall petitions have been accepted. The planning stages are over. New thread here for the signature gathering phase
https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/riley-mclain-recall.195405/

4/8/15 update.
Plan is still as below. Final touches on the recall petition is underway. We are coordinating with OFF and other recall efforts in the state.

For those able to help with collecting signatures please sign in here
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1UElOPd30pJbSt4YuREpxR1gR70oQN0BZNIsWKVxQeps/viewform

4/1/15 updates.
First recall is now planned for Senator Chuck Riley.
https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/Riley

He is listed as a sponsor on SB 941. He narrowly won his district the last election with help from Bloomberg

Last election results
Oregon Senate Dist. 15
Chuck Riley(D) 18,087 45.7%
Bruce Starr(R)I 17,822 45.0%
Caitlin Mitchel-Markley(L) 3,578 9.0%
Write-in 116 0.3%

we will need signatures from this district >6400
XZuc3fx.png

We have a few candidates for Chief Petitioner and will decide on one by this weekend.
We have support from OFF, MK Tactical and Oregon Arms and ammunition.
Still waiting for response from the Oregon Republican Party and the NRA.
We need volunteers for signature collection (thanks for those already in the comments)
We need volunteers for the Petition Committee (a face to face get together to read the rules and delegate work)

Prior updates:
How about we develop a thread on initiating a recall. If and when Senate bill 941 passes. I'd like to see one of the legislators who voted for it (or more) hit with a recall. I'd like them to feel that if they are going to ignore people in their district fail to respond to even simple questions, that their job is at risk.

If it passes the Senate, I want the reps in the house to know that a recall petition is already being planned for anyone who votes for it. I want to tell them we are planning a recall before they get to vote for it.

Here is the process
http://sos.oregon.gov/elections/Pages/recall.aspx

Initial thoughts:
  • We should target a legislator who was in a district where the vote totals were narrow making it more likely that they are recalled. Because only people who are registered in their district can sign the petition.
  • The chief petitioner must be a registered voter in the same district in which the public office holder was elected or appointed. Who ever runs the recall needs to be registered in the district
  • The number of signatures required to qualify a recall for the ballot is 15 percent of the total votes cast for governor, at the last election in the public officer's district. After confirming who we will target, we need to fine out how many people voted for the governor in their district.
  • We have to get signatures in fast. We have 90 days to get all the signatures in after initiating the process. that means a lot of us will need to help on this. Perhaps we get OFF, 2nd Amendment foundation, Lars, all the gun shops, involved. We will need a lot of volunteers to get this to work. we will need volunteers in front of gun shops and sporting good stores collecting signatures.
So the next step is to identify the legislators sponsoring this bill and review the election results at their last election.

Who is the most vulnerable to a recall?
Which districts are the most pro gun who would likely sign the petition?

Last Edited:
How about we develop a thread on initiating a recall. If and when Senate bill 941 passes. I'd like to see one of the legislators who voted for it (or more) hit with a recall. I'd like them to feel that if they are going to ignore people in their district fail to respond to even simple questions, that their job is at risk.

If it passes the Senate, I want the reps in the house to know that a recall petition is already being planned for anyone who votes for it. I want to tell them we are planning a recall before they get to vote for it.

Here is the process
http://sos.oregon.gov/elections/Pages/recall.aspx

Initial thoughts:
  • We should target a legislator who was in a district where the vote totals were narrow making it more likely that they are recalled. Because only people who are registered in their district can sign the petition.
  • The chief petitioner must be a registered voter in the same district in which the public office holder was elected or appointed. Who ever runs the recall needs to be registered in the district
  • The number of signatures required to qualify a recall for the ballot is 15 percent of the total votes cast for governor, at the last election in the public officer's district. After confirming who we will target, we need to fine out how many people voted for the governor in their district.
  • We have to get signatures in fast. We have 90 days to get all the signatures in after initiating the process. that means a lot of us will need to help on this. Perhaps we get OFF, 2nd Amendment foundation, Lars, all the gun shops, involved. We will need a lot of volunteers to get this to work. we will need volunteers in front of gun shops and sporting good stores collecting signatures.
So the next step is to identify the legislators sponsoring this bill and review the election results at their last election.

Who is the most vulnerable to a recall?
Which districts are the most pro gun who would likely sign the petition?
I don't remember who said it but the person who beat Bruce Starr won by a close margin (I think) maybe that's a start. Chuck Riley is who I was thinking of.:mad:

Last Edited:
Chuck Riley in the Hillsboro area won by like a couple hundred votes. We had a 3rd party candidate that took enough away from Bruce Starr for Riley to win. Everytown also ran 75k worth of anti Bruce add, specifically on the UBC, that were very free with the truth and facts of Starr's positions. Saying things like he wants no background checks at all and is in favor of criminals and the mentally ill getting firearms. lol. Such crap.

An important thing to note is that you don't have to use the gun issue exclusively, you simply have to

1) Find things that the legislator has done that could offends certain constituencies.
2) Advertise to those constituent groups the things on which they should be offended.

It's better to get 5 constituent groups offended at their legislator than just a single group. You don't even have to attack them from the right. You can attack them from the left, just as long as it gets the public angry with the legislator.

An important thing to note is that you don't have to use the gun issue exclusively, you simply have to

1) Find things that the legislator has done that could offends certain constituencies.
2) Advertise to those constituent groups the things on which they should be offended.

It's better to get 5 constituent groups offended at their legislator than just a single group. You don't even have to attack them from the right. You can attack them from the left, just as long as it gets the public angry with the legislator.

Excellent. Exactly why I want to start planning now. The more that we have on one, the better the chances.

An important thing to note is that you don't have to use the gun issue exclusively.

This bears repeating. He was able to get elected by avoiding the gun-control issue. He also had a huge amount of outside-Washington-country support to get elected (very few donations from within his district). And there is also the other billionaire who's investing in all the green energy that gave even more. I don't think he's made a big enough mistake (yet) to get a recall going. But it doesn't hurt to plant the seeds in the community and see what grows. Or find other groups (three or more subjects would be ideal) who feel the same way and want to work together.

I did some digging and to recall Riley, we need only 6000 signatures from District 15. It doesn't seem too bad considering over 21,000 voted against him in his district. I assumed that every Senate vote was also a governor vote.

I feel 6000 signatures is very attainable if we get a petition going at all firearm related businesses in District 15, and volunteers at a few busy public places. That's 10 volunteers, 600 signatures each.

I like the idea. I don't know what I can do to help, but I'll be watching for an opportunity. No idea how this works or goes forward, but I can sign a petition and get some others to sign too.

I really really like this idea. Give them good reason to listen to us in the future when one or more of their own is tossed on their butt. I am in. I have a few people I can speak with that can possibly help with better people to contact in Salem!
If nothing else they could keep us up to date on how nervous the targeted folks are getting!

If we get a lead petitioner in District 15 to file, I'll volunteers to collect signatures and coordinate with other volunteers. It's a simple numbers game. The more volunteers we have hitting the streets, the faster we can collects the needed petitions. Heck, once we get some momentum going, let's get some publicity through OFF, Lars, social media, ect. The publicity will send a clear message to the elected officials and generate even more signatures.

Im trying to read up on the Colorado recall and how they went about it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_recall_election,_2013

We should try to get their take on it. How they planned and organized it. We need to figure out when to ask the NRA and OFF for support.
Thanks for your efforts to organize this Bolus.
You do know how to get things done! (see: his posts in the Volunteer threads.)
Count me in, again, for anything I can do to help, if needed.

I agree that the combined thrust of individual efforts, coordinated with NRA/OFF PAC's can have an positive impact on the outcome - and the right timing, with a little guidance, will probably be most effective.

"Calling all fellow members of NRA and OFF to rally in support".
Keep us posted Bolus, and thanks again for all you do.
Ed

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads