JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes. I am saying that the best strategy is to defeat Barton in 2016. We have a candidate that can do it. It will take a lot of support, financial and boots on the ground, but we are organized and ready for the fight.

Yes. I am saying that the best strategy is to defeat Barton in 2016. We have a candidate that can do it. It will take a lot of support, financial and boots on the ground, but we are organized and ready for the fight.

That said, would you and the Republican Party support a grass-roots effort to recall Barton? I think we already know it would be an uphill battle, but it might serve as a distraction and maybe even help tee up the Republicam candidate in 2016.

I think part of the hope is that being off-year of a regular election cycle, a recall may have more of an advantage when political ads and spending aren't in full swing. And I do think there are a number of votes he's made, aside from 941 that could be cited. There will be a meeting of the minds in a couple of weeks to weigh the pluses and minuses of a potential recall effort.

It is great to have your input here, thank you for joining in the discussion. If there is no recall or he survives the attempt, it will certainly be important to get rid of him come 2016.

Between now and then, what is the best strategy to keep the anti-gun bills rolling over us? Because calling and sending thousands of emails to legislators who dont care isnt going to work.

Because I see it that if I do nothing, we are going to have California gun laws here soon. I cant imagine that any legislature in 2016 is going to reverse anything that happens now no matter who gets elected.

What does the recall cost us? If we dont succeed, we dont succeed. But waiting around to try and win an election next year doesnt really sit right with me.

I do appreciate you posting here though. I lost count as to the number of times I tried to get anyone in the republican party to respond to an email or phone call for the Riley recall.

By the way, do you know any signature gathering company that will work with any of us? Because all of them have told us they have some "conflict of interest" Perhaps encouraging one of them to actually work with us would be helpful.

The most important thing is to get rid of him in 2016. There are a few bills that are still alive in committees that are a problem but if he supports any of them it just adds to our case to replace him in 2016.

The race for this seat cost over $800,000 and a recall would need a minimum of 3/4 of that to have any chance whatsoever.

Beyond that, his vote on a single issue is not going to generate the momentum needed to recall him in a district with a D advantage.

My plea with all of you is to focus on replacing him in 2016. Every Republican Senator and Representative in our area voted NO on SB941 and we have their ear on future bills but we have to replace people like Barton. But it takes work and money to do that.

Google Clackamas County Republicans for our website.

I would be happy to host a discussion group at our office in Oregon City.

-Casey Flesch
Chair, Clackamas County Republican Party

Beyond that, his vote on a single issue is not going to generate the momentum needed to recall him in a district with a D advantage.

I can not agree with you on this. This is one of the very few issues where Ds and Rs can see eye to eye for the most part and we will stand up for what is right.

Whether a recall works out or not it still sends a message to those that are suppose to work for us.

Sitting back until 2016 just lets them know they can keep doing what they want without having to worry about anything.

I would also like to add a factoid some of you may not be aware of, and it challenged me to decide whether or not to carry on with my recall endevours (BTW- I'm still going forward).

If you are successful in recalling a politician, that seat is considered "vacant", and here in Oregon the County Commissioners that the District is within get to appoint a replacement, but the replacement has to be a member of the same party (for at least 180 days) of the recalled politician. Apparently the candidates are selected by the party and presented to the Commissioners for selection. :rolleyes:

Please read ORS171.051

Personally, I think a ballot initiative changing what becomes of that vacated seat and how it gets filled after the recall process is seriously in order.

I would also like to add a factoid some of you may not be aware of, and it challenged me to decide whether or not to carry on with my recall endevours (BTW- I'm still going forward).

If you are successful in recalling a politician, that seat is considered "vacant", and here in Oregon the County Commissioners that the District is within get to appoint a replacement, but the replacement has to be a member of the same party (for at least 180 days) of the recalled politician. Apparently the candidates are selected by the party and presented to the Commissioners for selection. :rolleyes:

Please read ORS171.051

Personally, I think a ballot initiative changing what becomes of that vacated seat and how it gets filled after the recall process is seriously in order.

I know some of us were already aware of that. While we may not get our choice in a replacement, we can still accomplish 2 important goals:

1. Remove (punish) one of the offending reps for their lack of respect for our concerns
2. Send a clear message to Salem that none of them may be safe if they continue to pursue gun control

Regardless of the outcome, and even if we get a same party replacement, the replacement would be unlikely to support such legislation knowing the voters would be ready to do the same to them if they vote in that way.

So, I am still in support of the recalls for the reasons I stated above. Even if we don't get the perfect desired outcome, it still sends a message to Salem that they'll have to listen to.

The most important thing is to get rid of him in 2016. There are a few bills that are still alive in committees that are a problem but if he supports any of them it just adds to our case to replace him in 2016.

The race for this seat cost over $800,000 and a recall would need a minimum of 3/4 of that to have any chance whatsoever.

My plea with all of you is to focus on replacing him in 2016. Every Republican Senator and Representative in our area voted NO on SB941 and we have their ear on future bills but we have to replace people like Barton. But it takes work and money to do that.

Google Clackamas County Republicans for our website.

I would be happy to host a discussion group at our office in Oregon City.

-Casey Flesch
Chair, Clackamas County Republican Party

Unless you think attempting a recall would hurt any chances of getting him out in 2016, should the recall fail, I don't see any reason for folks not to try.

As for the money, these recalls are not being run like a regular campaign. No TV or radio ads, no district-wide mailer campaign, no mass printing of materials, no catered events, no offices to lease. We're talking real grass roots, boots on the ground type work, not a professional campaign, so I have to disagree with your estimate.

It would take just under 4,000 signatures to initiate a recall of Barton. That's only a fraction of votes cast in the 2014 election, and that only represents people that actually cast votes, many did not. Now consider what was said above, both D's and R's are impacted by 941. Removing Barton doesn't cost them a D, they get another, just not him, so they can vote for a recall and still keep their party majority intact - we would have simply sent the message to leave the anti-gun legislation alone.

Bear in mind that this issue is a big one for us here, something I would recommend your candidate strongly emphasize in the next election. Kennemer and Alan Olsen have done a fine job defending this for us. And even though we lost this round, those of us in their respective districts will remember that come 2016.

As far as us helping in 2016, may intake the opportunity to likewise encourage the Republican Party of Clackamas County to support this effort should it go forward. Perhaps it won't be with money or even workers, but the connections you have, knowledge you can share could be invaluable to the planning and organization of this event. And, we will keep that in mind come 2016 when you're looking for assistance in your campaign. I think both groups could help each other. Just a thought.

Again, thank you for taking the time to come here and chat about this with us.

Actually, the Republican Party seems to be working to sabotage the Riley Recall just as much as the Dems are. They are worried that Recalls will succeed and they will have to face stronger candidates in 2016. Shows that the Repubs don't care about our rights either, they care about the party. They are just the opposite side of the coin.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top