JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've owned a double set trigger Hepburn rifle in .40-70SS for a handful of years now. When I bought it the previous owner had sadly cut 8" off the original barrel, leaving it at 22". A bummer, especially considering it was a special order extra heavy barrel! Wider that the receiver, and probably was a great BP gun in the day. It was cheap, so I bought it, and planned to have it rebarreled. Took it to a well known gunsmith who told me he could lengthen the barrel by welding on 8" of donor barrel, and then reline it all back to the original .40-70SS again. Long story short, he did it, and it looked great. But after about 6-8 shots the chamber bulged, and brass wouldn't extract. Tried to get it fixed under "warranty", but got excuses for a long time. So gave up.
Fast forward, and a friend was asked about it, and agreed to take a look. He told me the liner was off center at the breech by .012", and it could never be fixed to shoot well. So he's going to build up a new barrel to fit using a Green Mountain .40 cal. barrel, in a #4 weight to match the old barrel. But I told him to make it a .40-65 Win. chamber this time, and to leave the 35" barrel finished at 34" long.
He's going to cut the front sight dovetail, plus the lug for the forearm hanger. And once it's done he'll give it back so I can remove the barrel to polish it out, and then I'll have all the Remington stamps redone on it. After that I can rust blue it, and then reinstall it again. Hopefully around Christmas, depending on ship time for the new barrel from GM. Then I'll start working up black powder loads using my Snover 420 gr. bullets, and Swiss 1 1/2 fg.
I'll post some pictures when it comes home, and as it gets done.

Looking forward to seeing the final product! No "before" pictures? :s0012:
I should have, but I thought I had some I took when I bought it with the stubby barrel, and after it came back lengthened to 30" and I had done the new rust bluing. But haven't found those old images, and might be on a zip drive I have stored safely where I can't find it yet?
If it turns up I'll add some more pictures.

Found my thumb drive, but no pictures of the Hepburn prior to and just after having the barrel original work done. I did locate this "group" picture from our local OAC gun show that contains the Hepburn.
It's the 2nd Hepburn down from the top in this image. It was/is a very nice gun, with just a crappy barrel repair.

PtjTpj7l.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top