JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Weatherby Mark V Ultralight in Stainless, with a fluted barrel. I love the weapon, in .308, but is is an "extra" .30 cal. I've been thinking about having the barrel recut to .338 Federal - the Weatherby was offered in .338-06 with the same profile, so it should be ok.

I don't have anything else in .338, and, don't really want a magnum. The 338 Federal seems like it is a good "do it all" round at the higher end, at least for my needs.

Am I nuts?

Bob

I do not kow how much drilling out a 308 to 338 costs or what it does to accuracy, but I think that having a 338 barrel made and installed would be cheaper and maybe a better product in the end.

Ranb

I do not kow how much drilling out a 308 to 338 costs or what it does to accuracy, but I think that having a 338 barrel made and installed would be cheaper and maybe a better product in the end.

Ranb

$300-ish to re-bore.

Probably looking at $500-600 minimum to duplicate the barrel on the MK V Ultralight.

$300-ish to re-bore.

Probably looking at $500-600 minimum to duplicate the barrel on the MK V Ultralight.

That's what I've discovered. It is well north of $600. I can buy a new Weatherby Ultralight in .338-06 for under $1k, and, I can download it to the .338 Federal ballistics if I want. I guess I'll just have to make room in the safe for another weapon.

I don't believe the .338 Federal is going to be around, any more than the .338-06. Sako and Tikka have dropped it, all that's left is Kimber and Ruger.

Still, I sure like the numbers.

Bob

Wow....I knew I didn't like Weatherby for some reason.

Get a Savage Action (since you're making room for another rifle anyway) and then buy barrels to your hearts content. Then you can change them to your hearts content.

I've seen a number of .338 Federal long guns (including Weatherby Mk V) on Gunbroker and AuctionArms of late... I was looking for .338 win mag, and they kept cluttering my searches. Seems they were in the $600 range..... a few Sako and Tikka guns as well.... not to mention the more common Remmies, Marlins, etc......

I'd think you could get a complete used but very fine weapon in .338 Fed for the cost of a barrel alone... then sell the .308 to me........

Maybe he wants a nice smooth action, not a clunky Savage.;)

Ha! Now that's funny! Some people don't like the fact that those clunky cheap Savage rifles shoot better than their expensive guns. If you haven't looked at Savage recently, they might change your mind. If you have...well sorry.

As they say in high school "SCOREBOARD!"

Savage Factory Rifles Win 14 Medals in World Championships

Darn clunky things....must be really lucky OR guys.

Ha! Now that's funny! Some people don't like the fact that those clunky cheap Savage rifles shoot better than their expensive guns. If you haven't looked at Savage recently, they might change your mind. If you have...well sorry.

As they say in high school "SCOREBOARD!"

Savage Factory Rifles Win 14 Medals in World Championships

Darn clunky things....must be really lucky OR guys.

I was just being a smart axx, I've really got nothing against Savage.:s0155:

I have been continuing my research. I'm looking at a rebore and setback for about $400. I haven't decided to go ahead just yet, I'm concerned I'll have nothing but junk when I'm done in the accuracy department. I have to trust the rebore people (there are a lot of them, it turns out) to do all the work.

It seems reboring is commonly done, particularly for older and shot-out barrels. I've never been able to shoot just one weapon enough to shoot it out!

The .338 Fed's that are listed on the auction sites are usually Tikka's. I'd really like the Sako if I can't do the W.

Bob

OK, I'll ask the stupid question, what are the advantages of the .338 Federal? I don't see many, other than it fits a .308 action. I see it as a severely underpowered .338. The only game this seems optimal for would be pigs as these are normally shot very close but need a heavy bullet to guarantee penetration.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top