JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am considering rebarreling a remington 700...
It is currently a 22-250 and I would like to put in a fluted 1-10" twist 22" .204 barrel.

Is this easy to do? Seems like the bolt face would be wrong? if its going to cost too much in 'smithing work i would reconsider.

I'm trying to figure out a total cost of the project with a quality barrel on it..

anyone have experience that they can share with me??

I have been intrigued about what I have heard about the .204.
I guess its rather a moot point...even with an inexpensive barrel I still think i'm better of selling it and buying a .204 if i'm set on having a .204

I'm probably better off shooting out this barrel and switching later if I so please. Still wanna know if the .204 rounds would feel well in a 22-250 rifle and how much work it would take on my bolt.

I have a buddy that had a .204.He liked it for shooting yotes.He did say that it wasn't so good in the wind,but then again neither is the 17 rem.and a lot of people swear by that rd as the best yote killer.I would suggest taking your bolt to a sporting good store and asking if you can see if a .204 case fits.if it works,a rebarrel can be done for a few hundred $'s.A lot of times the smith doing the barrel will buy your old barrel from you too.I'm betting if you had to buy a new bolt too,it would be cheaper to just find another gun chambered in .204.Just my thoughts.

Switching to a case based on the .223 from a .308 based round is going to be tough. First, the boltface is going to be too large, .378" vs .470". Second, your feed rails from the magazine are going to be based on a .22-250 case, so most likely, the rounds will just pop out of the magazine. It's possible, if you can accept having a single shot, to put a bench rest mag follower and have a new bolt installed. If you really, really want to do it, it can be done, but you will be money ahead to just buy a .204.

switching from standard bolt face (308) to small bolt face (223) is not a problem you just change bolts. A new bolt cost $125. you can offset this by selling your bolt which is more desirable to people building Remington short actions. The magazine issue is very similar, parts just change out and they are fairly cheap especially if you buy used. The real cost comes with the barrel and smith work. You will be lucky to find a quality CM barrel ready to install for under $200. Then you will probably want the smith to true your action and bolt face, not necessary but advisable. You most likely will have to have the chamber finished. most pre chambered barrels are left short to allow proper head spacing after installation. If you buy a barrel that has not been chambered ( much better choice ) then it is around $150 to have a smith chamber it. Then you cut the crown and blue or finish your barrel. This is something I do all the time and is not the most economical way to get a new .204. I use stainless barrels which cost more but it is still not hard to sink $600./$700. into a quality barrel change. You would be much better off selling your current set up and buying new. Of coarse your 22-250 will do anything that a .204 will do with proper loads. Check out hornady's new 53 grain V-max bullet with a BC of .290-

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top