Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Rebarrel a S&W K-frame .38 Special

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by Backfire, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Backfire

Backfire Tualatin, OR Active Member

I'd like to rebarrel a S&W Model 10 .38 revolver with a 6-inch barrel, one inch diameter with milled flats, and put a ramp on it for a dot sight. The gentlemen I'd normally rely upon for this task are out of state, and I find FedEx's requirement for overnight firearms shipment a bit difficult to accept or afford. Can anyone recommend a good Oregon pistolsmith?

2. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Federal Way Active Member

There was a guy in Southern Oregon who specialized in custom revolvers. For the life of me I cannot remember his name, he built this Model 10 DAO silhouette gun

SmithampWesson10_zps452a4245.jpg

3. Backfire

TINCANBandit,
    The bull barrel (with milled flats) is very much what I had in mind for my .38 Special, though I have a base for a dot sight. If you relocate the name and address of the gunsmith, I'd be obliged. Thanks.
    Ed

4. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Federal Way Active Member

it was engraved on the barrel, I'll see if I can enlarge the photo enough to read it

5. Backfire

FedEx requires overnight shipment of firearms ($60) and I'd have to pay for its return as well. That adds $120 to the price of the gunsmith's work, which moves the task out of the realm of practicality (and affordability). I'd rather deal with a gunsmith to whom I can personally deliver and pick up the work. $120 shipment to/from borders on the absurd for a $220-250 job.

6. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

FFL's can ship to another FFL without sending next day air, as in UPS ground. Try calling around and see if that's an option.

7. Backfire

jbett98, Thank you for your advice. I will explore that option.

8. tdb59

tdb59 OR Active Member

Priority Mail FFL to FFL is also quite simple.

9. Backfire

It had been a great while since I had to send a firearm anywhere; there were always options within driving range, and I will drive a great distance to drop off and pick up my equipment, to discuss issues with the gunsmith. I relocated to the Northwest in 1997 and the pistolsmiths I relied upon before that (Cake-Davis of Sacramento, CA) are apparently no longer in business. I believe there are excellent riflesmiths and pistolsmiths in Oregon, but only recently have I changed priorities to address those projects.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  10. tdb59

tdb59 OR Active Member

11. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Clackamas County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

K-22 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Backfire

Gentlemen,
    I genuinely appreciate your suggestions and I am exploring them. I'll post a photo of the finished product.
    Ed

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  13. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

You can ship it yourself via UPS to a gunsmith for repairs or mods. It's not changing ownership, so no need to involve a FFL.