JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Remington 700 tactical in 308 with a 20" barrel 1/12 twist. I want to shoot some heavier bullets, 175 - 190 grains. So I'm thinking maybe 1/10 twist.
I have upgraded with the Magpul hunter stock which I really like.

Is it worth it to replace the barrel or should I just get a new rifle. I'll have to hire a gun Smith to do the work.

Any recommendations and idea of how much money I'll be looking at?

300-600 for a new barrel blank.
350-500 for a gunsmith to install it.

Cheaper to go buy a new rifle for sure.
Also, you will NEVER recover any of the cost of your re-barreling if you decide to sell it down the road.

Also, you will NEVER recover any of the cost of your re-barreling if you decide to sell it down the road.
Huh? Where you get this pricing???

2E7BABB9-8AAE-4D61-A1CE-676471D0F707.jpeg

if you want cheaper go to Northland shooters supply. Out the door cost around 400$. You instal your self at home, it will take you 5min. It's really easy install with Remage nut (copy of savage nut but for Remington)

I have a Remington 700 tactical in 308 with a 20" barrel 1/12 twist. I want to shoot some heavier bullets, 175 - 190 grains. So I'm thinking maybe 1/10 twist.
I have upgraded with the Magpul hunter stock which I really like.

Is it worth it to replace the barrel or should I just get a new rifle. I'll have to hire a gun Smith to do the work.

Any recommendations and idea of how much money I'll be looking at?
For stock Redhawk rifle often running deals for Greyboe stocks with 5M bottom metal. Or KRG bravo.

So in a nutshell it's better yes to start with a custom action but if your on a tight budget and want to use what you have.
Then you can definitely get a hammer built if you go through the right gunsmith and use a quality barrel, trigger and optic

Yea - looking to keep it on the cheaper side. The Remage option looks interesting. I recently invested in dies, brass and a butt load of 308 bullets so I'm staying with that for now.

What I find interesting is that the standard twist rate for just about any 30 caliber barrel is 1-10". I had never heard of a 308 in 1-12". Even a quick look at the Remington website and the tactical rifles available, the 308 is a 1-10" barrel. Custom barrel makers have even faster twist rates, but that is for the even heavier bullets like Sierras' 220 Gr Match King. Remington has been making Police Tactical rifles for quite awhile, and maybe they did this at some point, but it would be strange.

What I find interesting is that the standard twist rate for just about any 30 caliber barrel is 1-10". I had never heard of a 308 in 1-12". Even a quick look at the Remington website and the tactical rifles available, the 308 is a 1-10" barrel. Custom barrel makers have even faster twist rates, but that is for the even heavier bullets like Sierras' 220 Gr Match King. Remington has been making Police Tactical rifles for quite awhile, and maybe they did this at some point, but it would be strange.

Remington use to make AAC-SD with 1:10 twist barrel while the sps tactical has a 1:12 twist barrel.

I would post here and also over at Accurate Shooter forum that you are wanting to buy a new take off barrel for a remington 700 in 308 with the specs you are looking for, i.e. 1 in 10 twist. I am betting there is a member or gunsmith who frequents the boards who will have one laying around. I also suspect there are numerous members here that would be willing to help you swap out the barrel as it is a simple process with the right tools, barrel vise, 700 action wrench, go/no go gauges, etc...

If you go the route of a new custom barrel I would suggest you strongly consider just selling your current rifle as is and purchasing a new rifle. You will likely end up money ahead.

What is your reason for wanting to shoot the heavier bullets? How many rounds do you intend to fire out of this particular rifle a year? The heavy for caliber bullets in 30 caliber are going to be poor performers in the 308 cartridge and are really designed for a cartridge with more powder capacity. If you are going after the low drag bullets you are going to be losing even more case capacity loading to magazine length.

Lots of options depending on what you are looking to accomplish.

Both the M14 and M1 are .30 caliber rifles.

But, the M14 (7.62 Nato aka: 308 Win) had a 1:12 twist.
While the M1 Garand (.30-06) had a 1:10 twist.

But.....whatever.

Not being on the selection team at the time, I can only suspect that the choice had probably more to do with the bullet weights, bullet types to be used, expected stabilization, killing effect, etc.....

Aloha, Mark

PS.....more on the twist rate subject: M14 Forum - M14 Forum for M14 M1A Rifles

Since we are on the subject, look into why the twist rate changed between the M16 and the later M4. Rrrright....same caliber but the twist changed and the bullet weight changed too.

HINT: Pick the twist rate that will best suit the range of bullet weights that you intend to use.

More info here: Calibers and Twist Rates - Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels

Last Edited:
Mark,

I understand completely the Greenhill Formula and twist rate as it applies to bullets. And these days, it's even more complicated than that. Bullet construction and profile play into it as well. My .223 Varmint rifle with a 1-12" twist will shoot 55 Gr lead core bullets all day. Put a Berger monolithic (all copper) 55 Gr bullet in the mix, it won't shoot it worth a hoot. Monolithics are longer to make up for no lead in the construction. That bullet requires a 1-10" twist.

Twist rates for all the aforementioned firearms (M-16 / M4, M-14, M-1) were all designed as issue weapons, Mil-Spec, as well as the ammunition to be issued with them. And they were all auto loaders. OP said he had a Remington 700 bolt action. As far as a 30 caliber bolt action rifle goes, what bullet wouldn't shoot in a 1-10 twist barrel? I guess I would have to ask Remington why they did that. Perhaps it was intended to be used with a light bullet (less than 165 Gr, likely a 150 Gr).

Regards,
Bill

I just installed one of these not to long ago. It's shooting tiny little groups at 100 yards with 190's.
While the rifle was apart I trued up the action. ( $100)
New barrel was $360 shipped. I finished the chamber reaming, and cerakoted it.
87DCAD1F-6D62-4B2B-A592-8557DABC2D7A.png

What!!

Go to Douglas or McMillan, either one will set you up nicely. Call them, get the best price and ship it.

Evidently McMillan doesn't do barrels anymore.

Douglas will make you up a barrel, turned, polished, cut and crowned, threaded, for under 400. Air gauged premium.

Last Edited:
@Velzey, any advice on pricing?

I'm sure someday after 5-8000 rounds I too may need a new barrel and bolt too! Sooner if I keep running hot loads.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top