JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I carry concealed because I refuse to be a victim. I have never had to use any weapon in self defense, and I hope that I never do. If I am ever in a situation that I need a weapon, it won't be sitting at home in the safe.

I carry concealed because I refuse to be a victim. I have never had to use any weapon in self defense, and I hope that I never do. If I am ever in a situation that I need a weapon, it won't be sitting at home in the safe.

You get a cookie...

cookie-bite-web.jpg

WA has a cool of period unless you have a CPL, you might be approved in minutes but with out the CPL your going to wait. It's either three or five days, I don't know as I have my CPL and take home what I buy the same day. Never took more than 30 minutes after I did the paperwork. A side note my son got his CPL in less than two weeks, Less than $60

One thing I've heard and really agree with, is that having a concealed handgun gives you a choice. If you're unarmed and confronted by an attacker, that attacker basically gets to decide whether you live or die. Maybe he will be content to just to get your wallet and run away, but maybe he wants to make sure you don't live to report the crime to the police. You have no way to know, and you have no say in the matter. In that situation, having a handgun and knowing how to use it can turn the odds in your favor. You may have some hope the attacker will be happy with just your wallet, you don't HAVE to pull out your pistol, but it's you who gets to make a choice.

Here's another non-self defense reason like you were looking for. One of the first reasons I got my CPL was because sometimes I grouse hunt with a .22 pistol. If it is raining I want to be able to wear my coat over my shoulder holster to protect the gun as much as possible. Raincoat over gun= concealed. Reason enough to get a CPL.

Like others have said the waiting period in WA is 5 days on handguns. Last time I had to wait it was 5 business days so no matter what you were waiting a full week.

Another reason would be to be able to open carry in a vehicle. According to R.C.W. you can not open carry a handgun in a vehicle without a CPL or
"(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;"
I think having a CPL is less up to interpretation than the other thing.:s0131:

This info is from R.C.W.

I got my CCW because when I go hunting or shooting I didn't want to leave my gun in the car when I went in to eat at a restaurant. Couldn't live with myself if one of my guns was stolen and used to cause harm to anyone. With all of the mass shooting suicides coming up, seemingly every week, I have started to carry all the time. How many lives could have been saved in these situations if an armed citizen had been in a position to stop these selfish bastards before they shot another 10 people? I believe that, since the police can only be reactive in most situations it is up to us to become proactive in protecting ourselves and eachother.

"I've lived for decades and never needed a gun for defense."

I've never "needed" my car insurance, my homeowner's insurance, my smoke alarm, my carbon dioxide alarm, my home alarm, my motorcycle helmet, the roll bar on my tractor, any seat belts, an airbag, a fire extinguisher, any of my SHTF stuff, my annual physical...

Or a CCW.

I still have all of it though.

$.02

Great thread TyPercy, lots of great info!
Awesome analogy Gunner!

I had no intention of concealed carry when I first applied for my CC license.
Before the license, upon leaving the (private) target range (always one or two rookies) I would re-check all ten guns and usually found at least one shell still in one of the guns. I thought it best to be legal in case we were ever pulled over, for a bad tail light or whatever simple reason.

Soon after receiving the CC license, as most of you CC license holders know, is when we are inundated with gun associations and club offers. It was then I started reading about CC holders, and the whys' of CC carry.
To keep it short, the most compelling reason to carry fulltime was the U.S. Government's own statistics on DGU's (designated gun use) that persuaded me to carry. Approx. two million annual.
In-addition to the latter, I read in another forum about several different CC holders returning home to burglaries' in progress. One was a L.E.O. (Law Enforcement Officer). A couple of the civilians didn't carry all the time, of which now they do.

Why do I carry full time? Fear, nope! As a few others have said it best: I REFUSE To Be a VICTIM!
And better yet as a few have mentioned, if more of us carried full time, we would have a lot less Virginia Tech situations. Isn't it our moral and ethical values that compels' most to protect our neighbors?

Armed Citizen Archives: <broken link removed>
D.G.U. articles: http://www.keepandbeararms.com/opsd/

"I've lived for decades and never needed a gun for defense."

I've never "needed" my car insurance, my homeowner's insurance, my smoke alarm, my carbon dioxide alarm, my home alarm, my motorcycle helmet, the roll bar on my tractor, any seat belts, an airbag, a fire extinguisher, any of my SHTF stuff, my annual physical...

Or a CCW.

I still have all of it though.

$.02

That is the best expression:s0155:

First, I have to agree with many of the above comments:
1. I refuse to be victim.
2. Prepared for what comes.
3. it’s like insurance.
4. Freedom to choose rather than the choice made for me.
5. "It's better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it." -The movie True Romance

A distinction:
The question is why a CC permits. Not why carry a gun (implied, I know). But technically, the reason I have a permit is because I carry a gun and the permit makes it legal :s0131:

For those familiar with fate and Mr. Murphy, I have this strange feeling that if I leave my gun at home, THAT one time is the time I'm going to end up needing it. So, to manipulate the fates, I always carry my gun, and therefore will never need it :s0155:

Another reason is that: "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke.
I would like to think of myself as a good man, and even if unarmed and outnumbered, I would have a REAL hard time witnessing the triumph of evil. The gun helps to even the odds so it's not a suicide mission.

Regards,
Nate

Actually, in Washington State, it IS legal to transport a handgun, closed up in a hard case and unloaded, no ammo in the case, in a vehicle from/to anywhere, without the CPL.

BUT-- with the CPL, you don't need to fuss over the specific niggly details of how, where in the vehicle, what state it is in, etc. It simply becomes legal for you to have it anywhere with you, whether ON your person or within the vehicle, anywhere. With you in it or not.

One of the reasons I decided to get the permit. I can imagine simply transporting a weapon, and thinking (on MY terms) it is "safe", it mightn't be legal without the permit. Having that stupid, unconstitutional bit of paper can prevent me from inadvertently becomeing a felon.

Also, as I am experiencing right now, many sstates recognise Washington's CPL, and make concealed or other carry legal. I am in Ohio this minute, Kahr .40 on my hip, totally legal with no fuss whatever. Kentucky works, as well. Others, too......

And, avoiding the unconstitutional insult of having to pay for a handgun and being denied the right to POSSESS it for three days or so IS another significant benefit.

BUT-- with the CPL, you don't need to fuss over the specific niggly details of how, where in the vehicle, what state it is in, etc. It simply becomes legal for you to have it anywhere with you, whether ON your person or within the vehicle, anywhere. With you in it or not.
sorry, mobile phone button made for premature post.
I believe I just read in another thread that the RCW requires the pistol to be on your person.

I can think of several reasons to get a CC permit. Most of them have already been mentioned. I cannot think of s ingle reason why not to get one. It just gives you options. I can think of several reason why not to carry once you do get it, but no real reason to not get it.

sorry, mobile phone button made for premature post.
I believe I just read in another thread that the RCW requires the pistol to be on your person.

It's not worded very well but my interpretation is that it does not have to be on your person. Part (ii) seems to say that it does not.

RCW 9.41.050 said:
(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

RCW 9.41.050

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top