Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Reasons for CC permit

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by TyPercy, Dec 5, 2009.

1. TyPercy

TyPercy Vancouver, WA Member

I'm just curious what reasons people have for carrying. If someone doesn't plan to carry, what are the benefits of getting a permit anyway? My brother is a police officer, and his department requires him to carry whenever he is in public, whether he is on duty or not. I can understand this, but in my 39 years, I don't think I have ever come across a situation where I wished I had my gun. Anyway, thoughts? Thanks!

2. twoclones

twoclones Tri-Cities, WA Well-Known Member

Why carry?
    Because of all the surprised looking victims and witnesses in the news. From that I conclude, if you ever should need a weapon for defense, it will likely be when you least expect it. "We never thought something like this could happen here."

Benefits?
    One example is, if you've been hunting or shooting and want to stop at the grocery store on the way home, a CPL holder {WA State} can legally lock a handgun in their vehicle {concealed from view} but a non CPL holder cannot. Without permit you must drive home, leave the gun, then go back to the grocery store.
    RCW 9.41.050, RCW 9.41.060

Essentially, it's a lot easier to stay legal when you have a concealed carry permit. Plus, in WA CPL holders avoid the waiting period when buying a handgun... :)

3. TyPercy

Exactly the type of information I am looking for! :thumbup: Thanks!

4. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

Better to have one and Never have to use the gun your Carrying, then be in a situation you wish you had a gun and didnt have one.

5. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

In my mere 35 years I have come across a situation or 2 where I wished I had a gun. Luckily I'm still alive today but I now carry always. I'm not about to take anymore chances but you can keep pushing your luck if you like. :thumbup:

6. TyPercy

I'm not saying I think carrying is a waste, or that I wouldn't do it. I am just trying to understand where everyone else is at so I can decide if I should pursue a CC permit or not. I think just the hidden (no pun intended) benefits alone are going to be worth it, but I would still like to hear from both sides. (pro and con) If you don't have a CC permit, how long is the waiting period to purchase a handgun? (In Washington State)

7. BooKilla

BooKilla Portland, OR Member

It is the civic duty of any eligable American to bear arms within the United States.

"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to permit the conquered Eastern peoples to have arms. History teaches that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by doing so."

-Adolf Hitler

"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives [only] moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion to your walks."

-Thomas Jefferson

8. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

I can appreciate that but in my 51 years I have - several times - NOW I may not have even come close to even thinking about pulling it in those particular situations but knowing it was there would have given me a little more peace of mind. I'll start with one of those situations. About 25 years ago I was backpacking in the Three Sisters wilderness area when my my buddy and I came upon two rough looking individuals who appeared to have been in the woods for awhile - judging by what they had for camping gear and how it appeared they were very much in "survival mode" . One had a .22 rifle and told me he was hunting squirrels. They asked if we had any cigarettes and my friend who smoked at the time gave them a pack. Anyway my friend and I walked a short distance away and decided to push on a few miles to put some distance between us and them - it was early in the afternoon and we were going to make camp and fish on the river but decided moving on would be a good idea. Anyway a few days later we came out on the trailhead where we went in and were confronted by a guy in civvies with binocs who asked us if "We had run into anyone out in the wood who did not look like they belonged there" we told him the story and he showed us his badge and said he was looking for "two guys" but nothing else. One of the few times I did not have my 4" M-19 with me.

9. bwells

bwells Longview Member

Another reason, at least in Washington, is to avoid the waiting period when buying handguns.

10. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

+1

Also I would add: Right now a CCW lic is pretty easy to get. In the future, they may change the rules to be much more difficult or impossible to get. Even if I didn't carry, just the thought of one day I MAY want to would be enough to get one.

If the rules change, I would want to be part of those who are "grandfathered" in.

Finally, if/when they start trying to take them away, I can make the valid point that I have carried for 17 years and not ever been in trouble or done anything foolish. That experience SHOULD count for sompin'.:cool:

11. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

I envy a man who has never needed a gun. He must be doing everything right!

Alas, in my sixty years I have been assaulted a couple times and menaced by madmen and drug gangs several times. I have been through a mugging and two other attempts. I have been in the middle of a convenience store robbery by "gangsters." I have had a crazed trucker try to run me off of the road. I have been burgled five times. I have accidentally moved across the street from wholesale drug gang houses, twice! I had a crazy thief try to steal my huge DOBERMAN in the middle of the night. I have survived several gang fights on the Tri-met bus, one that left me covered in someone else's blood. I have been shot at while driving bus three times. I have had a bloody knife waved in my face and hosed them with Mace just as they jumped at me. Then I had to Mace their twelve year old brother as he tried to stab me in the eye with a stick. I have had predators follow me to my truck in "Old Town" at two AM several times. I have encountered unpleasant people far back on hiking trails. And I have passed dozens of broken animals suffering in highway ditches with nobody to put them out of their misery. There is likely more that I have forgotten.

So, I carry a gun, always. And I got good training and practice with it. I have never had to pull it, but somehow just having it changes my tone of negotiation when some defective person accosts me. I have more "traction" when I stand my ground...................elsullo :cool:

12. LogicBomb

LogicBomb Grants Pass Active Member

+1 to above...the only tine ive had to use my "truck gun" so far was to show mercy to 2 badly wounded animals on the side of the road

13. TyPercy

If I have a CC permit in Washington, can I carry in Oregon? (or any other states?)

14. JAFO

JAFO OR, USA Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Some states recognize a WA CPL. Some states have reciprocity with Washington and each recognizes the others' permits. Oregon does not recognize the permit from any other state. If you travel to Oregon much you might as well get a non-resident CHL.

15. TyPercy

Thanks!:thumbup:

16. TyPercy

It's 5 days if you don't have a CPL.

17. bwells

bwells Longview Member

Is it five days, or five business days. I haven't bought a handgun in a couple years, but I thought my buddy told me he had to wait a full week.

18. TyPercy

It doesn't specifically say, but here is the link where I found the information.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/firchart.html

19. Fjolnirsson

Fjolnirsson Western Oregon Member

20. Will

Will Everett Active Member

I guess I've never considered why, I just have my CPL and have had it for 15+ years. It's a habbit now just like my wallet or cell phone. I might not need them either when I leave the house but I always take them. I have never needed my pistol but a few times felt truly happy I had it. In todays world with all of the ugly things that happen I think it makes even more sense.