JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not wearing a holster on me jammie bottoms! When I say in reach that's precisely what I mean! Pistol in hand, elbow where I like it, then lay the pistol down right there!

After I separated from my first wife, I had a spat of about 6 months or so where random guys started showing up at my place, sometimes when I was home, sometimes when I was not (and some of those times, my girlfriend and now wife was there) - sketchy, skeezy looking dudes. A few times the ex was in the car with them, and sometimes she'd stop by by herself (or seemingly so.)

My ex had some mental issues, and had a temper that turned to physical violence on occasion (hence a DV arrest courtesy of me once, and a felony child abuse arrest that she plead down to a C misdemeanor and ate a DV conviction for...) - so I never answered the door and always - ALWAYS had a gun or two on me, and a long gun ready and easily accessible when I or the gf was home. I keep that practice up today. My carry gun goes on when I put my pants on, and doesn't come off until I take my pants off at night.

A good time to ambush someone is when their in the shower. Thats why I use this. :)
image.jpg

image.jpg

According to <broken link removed> , Joshua McCann, a 22-year-old truck driver was in San Antonio to pick up a motorcycle for a customer in another state. When he pulled into the shopping center, he was confronted by a man who said he was a police officer.
The 'police officer' told McCann to get out of his truck. McCann did, and then asked to see the man's badge to prove he was actually a police officer. When the man couldn't produce a badge, he informed McCann that he was going to steal his truck.
That's when the man's day turned bad.
McCann sprung into action and drew his concealed carry firearm and shot the man three times in the abdomen.
Responding officers found the suspect sprawled out on the pavement when they arrived. He was taken to University Hospital were he was later pronounced dead.

By that time, McCann had placed his gun on the seat of his truck. Police spoke with him and later confirmed his story with employees from the cycle shop. Several witnesses and the truck driver were taken in to make statements.
An important thing to point out is that McCann had placed his firearm on the seat of his truck before police arrived. This was a good move, either placing the firearm somewhere safe and in your view, or back into your holster.
The last thing you want to be doing is holding your firearm when police arrive. Until they sort out the situation, they have no idea who you are or what your intentions are. It's in everyone's best interest to secure the firearm in a location other than your hands.
This is yet another case for the concealed carry and its necessity in life.

credit-card-knife-300X250.jpg

Personally, I'm not much for having a gun on me 24/7, I tend to prefer things that give ample warning, like motion detectors, cameras, dogs (I have one little yapper, and am considering getting another larger dog) and hostile landscaping. At my desert place, the main gate and the man gate are really the only ways in and out unless you want to tangle with the prickly pear and cholla cactus around the perimeter.

I usually have a gun on me when I go out, and that same gun is close at hand when working. Plus more guns that I can fight my way to if it comes to that.

Most door locks are easily defeated with a good boot, or a couple of those 12 gauge door lock buster rounds. 2 of my boys were blowing some heavy locks with those in Afghanistan. Most of the construction materials next to a door are easily penetrated by small arms rounds too. Peephole puts you right in the line of fire. Cameras baby cameras. Remotely accessible ones at that. Wireless infrared beams set off interior alarms if the dogs don't hear them first. Those extra seconds before entry can be golden.

While this is true, it's one of the reasons why I tend to reinforce doorframes with 2"x.185" square tubing (roughly the same stuff a trailer hitch is made of) this is because I fitted heavy hardwood doors and I don't want the frame to sag or put excess load on the house. To wit, you are right about most door hardware, which is why you put a heavy steel T-bar at the bottom of the door frame, this will hold double doors closed and it's quite easy to use. I did this when I was remodeling my parents house. Works quite well, also helps keep the grandkids locked up inside when they visit (toddlers, who know how to open doors to busy streets).

The real weakness of most houses is the sliding glass rear door. Using either a steel/fiber reinforced french style door or fitting it with hurricane glass are really the only two options when you have a hole that big.

Cameras are an important improvement... my parents don't get around so well, so during the remodel we put in a camera system, it can be viewed either on my mom's tablet (or any other computer in the house) or on the TV in the living room (where my dad usually sits). We installed these mainly as a convenience.

A good time to ambush someone is when their in the shower. Thats why I use this. :)
View attachment 103359

You know they make stainless steel guns and nickel plated ammo for exactly these reasons right?

As a guy who splits time between where I live around Tualatin/Wilsonville and Battle Ground, and who doesn't have any involvement with drugs or seedy types in his personal life, I don't have concerns with regard to cartels. This particular article doesn't motivate me to carry at home.

Having said that, I carry 100% of the time while awake, and have a firearm within reach while sleeping-- whether I'm at home or at my girlfriend's place. While I have no concerns about any specific group coming after myself or my family, I appreciate this unfortunate truth:

Sane people can't predict crazy.

I don't live in fear. My days are filled with laughter, and I sleep very easily. Part of that sense of security comes from knowing that awareness and precautions can greatly diminish the likelihood of becoming a victim.

Having said that, I carry 100% of the time while awake, and have a firearm within reach while sleeping-- whether I'm at home or at my girlfriend's place. While I have no concerns about any specific group coming after myself or my family, I appreciate this unfortunate truth:

Sane people can't predict crazy.

1 year ago, if I had gotten the memo or e mail that never comes, I would have been able to know that a tweaker was going to break into my shop on a Sunday afternoon, and that 6 months later in the course of a normal work day, that I would be within 35 feet of an armed, carrying gun in hand, career criminal about to commit and armed robbery, and that I had to draw my own weapon and be prepared to react. Your last sentence is extremely important. We simply cannot understand how the criminal rouge mind thinks. You need to try and get in their head a bit, because if you expect logical rationale linear thinking, it is not happening. It is all about getting over on other people.

However as others on here have pointed out, that memo or e mail never comes. I too am armed 100% of the time I am awake, and have several weapons within arms reach at night. I have infrared sensors that alert me to driveway intrusions, and some dogs who hear a mouse bite a seed in the field across the road, and cameras to verify who is outside. I too sleep very well, and those who would choose to violate my privacy and security forcefully will be dealt with.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top