JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@ditchtiger I have a scope similar to what you have on that rifle. Brass, painted black. Seeing your post got me to looking at mine. I looked through it, cleaned the lenses and looked through it again. There's no diopter, so back in the cabinet it went. Neat old concept.

Very funny.
You must be young. you will find out in about 40 years from now.
I just do not know if the scope is out of adjustment or my failing vision. Most likely both.

I bet I have years on you, Sir, being 71 next March [kofkof, wheeze...]

I just took another peek at both of my old scopes, one black-ish and the other stripped down to shiny brass [heck, it was only ten bucks in the Wheeler jun- antique store].

Both readily go in and out of focus at either end by sliding the slidey things, but as with every scope, you need to set the reticle sharp afore you do the main focus.. Hold it up to the sky, and make the cross-hairs sharp. Then look at something a bit nearer, say 50m, and sharpen up the main focus on that. Should be good until you get as old as me [wheeze, groan...]

Oh, yes, hold it as though it was actually in use - no cheating by clemming your eyeball right up to the glass, right?

tac

@ditchtiger I have a scope similar to what you have on that rifle. Brass, painted black. Seeing your post got me to looking at mine. I looked through it, cleaned the lenses and looked through it again. There's no diopter, so back in the cabinet it went. Neat old concept.

No what?

Are you looking through it the right way round?

It's actually about a x2 - 2.5, BTW. Unless you have the plain old 'Acme improved rifle sighting device', which is actually a non-magnifying sighting aid.

It's easy to tell if you have one of those - the magnifying version has no markings on it to show that it magnifies, and the other one has no markings to say that it doesn't.

tac

Last Edited:
@tac
Yes, LOL, I'm looking through it the right way. By diopter, I mean adjustable focus. I never really looked at it that closely due to it being dated in design.

No what?

Are you looking through it the right way round?

It's actually about a x2 - 2.5, BTW. Unless you have the plain old 'Acme improved rifle sighting device', which is actually a non-magnifying sighting aid.

It's easy to tell if you have one of those - the magnifying version has no markings on it to show that it magnifies, and the other one has no markings to say that it doesn't.

tac

Do not know where the thread is. Someone asked why a gun may have been bought.
I bought this Ward's .22 just because it has a cool scope mount. The scope is non-adjustable.
I've seen this system before but did not have one. Besides, how could I go wrong for only $75
View attachment 317914 View attachment 317915 View attachment 317916 View attachment 317917 View attachment 317918 View attachment 317919 y
Nice!
Now all you gotta do is fling that thing in the ditch, buy a 10-22 and throw $700 into it.
lol

An older gun has something about it that no new one does. It has an old wooden stock that has had countless close encounters with the person holding it to their shoulder. It has had countless squinted eyes looking down its simple sights, trying hard to get everything 'just right'. It has had innumerable contacts 'twixt finger and trigger, trembling with anticipation, or a sweet controlled and gentle squeeeeeeeeeeeeze, just so. It has had many a story told over it when it was being cleaned at the end of a hard day out in the Fall, many a cheerful laugh and maybe a few rueful admissions, either to the shot that connected, or the one that missed by the minutest amount...
It has had gentle hands on it when, like mine, it was put into my hands by my dad, in the hope that I would be a better person for having been entrusted with its care. It has had eyes shining brightly over its length and it bluing, faded or not from age and the love that had been put into it over the years of caring for it.

Look at it now - it's a history book in your hands.

Hold it - it's part of your history now. It may have been your dad's last gun, but now it's your first gun. There will never be another first gun for you. This is it, complete with dings, scrapes and scratches and the smell of old gun oil.

Sure, it's old, and only getting older, just like we are.

It's a part of us.

tac

Some may even have jumped into France?
And being immediately surrounded, faced all manor of he11!

Hard to say?
Much like those who carried and used them. They seam to lack the abilities to talk about what they saw and experienced?

But we can see the scars and damage. In both wood and metal.
And think about the Men behind them.

Last Edited:
This old Mause cavalry carbine, made in May/June 1897 by Ludwig Loewe of Berlin [later to become DWM, famed maker of the Luger pistol], was one of just 2000 made for the secret contract between the German government and the Zuid Afrikaanse Republik [ZAR].

IOW, the Boers of South Africa.

Sometime after it arrove at Port Elizabeth, or maybe Durban in late August of that year,, it was issued to a gentleman called Piet Huijsjen. He was a Dutch/German immigrant, working as a diamond washer. His job was to steer a huge water jet into the overburden, and physically wash out the diamonds from the surrounding material. Needless to say, he was involved in the war that soon began, and took up fighting the British and their allies from the empire - Australia and Canada.

It all went to ratsh*t in early May, 1901, when a two-day long skirmish began with a troop of New South Wales mounted infantry near the farmstead of Korannafontein, in Natal province. At first, the Australians, led by an impetuous young officer who paid for his inexperience with his life, the Boers had the upper hand, but reinforcements, armed with light cannon, finally won the day.

Prisoners were taken, and one of them was Mijneer Huijsen and his carbine. He signed a worthless document to swear that he would no longer bear arms against Her Sovereign Majesty, Victoria, and was left to walk home, out of history and into oblivion.

In 1995, his carbine turned up in a local dealer's gunroom for a LOT of money, and I bought it. Where had it been interim? Nobody knows. How does it shoot? Well, with the now prohibited [for me] 175gr RN SP that were around when I got it, into about 3" at 100m, but a lot worse with spitzers. Do I lcare? Nope. Do I love it? You bet.

upload_2016-10-23_21-1-48.png

upload_2016-10-23_21-2-27.png

upload_2016-10-23_21-3-5.png

I DO have the incredibly hard to find cleaning rod, but for reasons I can't fathom I took it out...

upload_2016-10-23_21-5-18.png

upload_2016-10-23_21-5-53.png

With proper loads, you'd be well advised to make certain sure that the saddle ring is rotated to the front, before squeezing what is probably the worst trigger in this part of the Galaxy - else it will move teeth. A 175gr bullet at 2550 fps takes no prisoners in a gun that barely weighs six pounds - at either end.

Enjoy.

tac

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews