JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just got an AR in trade and the rear takedown pin wont come out or go in without tapping with a hammer. It is an Aero lower and a yankee hill upper. I took it apart and put the upper on my M&P15 lower and put the M&P upper on the Aero lower and everything fit fine and smooth on both assemblies. When I tried to put my new one together, the same thing, have to tap the pin in or out. Looking at it, the holes seems to line up ok. Will it loosen up with time, or should I worry.

Non-issue. I wouldn't worry about it. It may loosen up over time depending on how much you use it, but I'd rather it be too tight than too loose.

I had a Noveske upper that I bought to put on a Noveske N4 lower that was like that. It bothered me a little as its the only one I have ever had that was so tight you needed tools to break it down. I took it in to Rainer
Arms and they told me "Most people would rather have it like this, so tight it takes a punch to remove the pin" Not what I really wanted to hear. However the gun shot really well so I got over it, Just a pain as far as I was concerned.

Thanks guys, I was worried about damage to the upper where the pin goes in. I see pictures of broken parts all the time and didnt want that to happen to me. I am relieved that it is just a pain. Thanks again :)

Turn the detent pin around (some have a more pointy end then the other) and try a little lithium grease in the takedown pin slot.

Even without the detent and spring in the receiver, i cant push the pin through the lower and upper together. BUT when I put my M&P upper on the lower, and the M&P lower on the upper, every thing goes together easy and snug. When I try to put my new lower and upper together again after this, No Go. I am not going to worry about it , you guys have put my mind at ease, and I'm just going to shoot it. Thanks again

I FIXED IT!!! I started looking at it and one of the rear corners of the upper where it meets the lower had a raised edge forging flaw that was shiny from rubbing. I filed it down slowly and kept checking it. Both pins work like butter now and are still very secure. I love it when a plan comes together. Thank You guys for all the advice and wisdom.

Hmmmm..... It'd be interesting to hear why the M&P lower would accommodate the flawed upper and the Aero wouldn't. Can you see any difference between the M&P and Aero lowers that would allow the forge "flashing" to fit in one and not the other?
When I checked again, the fit was actually quite a bit tighter than I remember, thats what made me look at the upper at all contact points. The Aero is actually a quality piece with a lot tighter tolerance than my Smith & Wesson.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top