JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Aero lowers come pretapped for #4-40. Problem is finding anything at a #4 tap brick-and-mortar... I ordered a half-dozen setscrews through a hobby shop on Amazon.

Main problem I have is needing to cut the spring, and then cut any spring you replace it with... but this mod is so simple that other than the extra cost and small parts at an Army-wide scale I wonder why Stoner & Sullivan didn't do it from square one.

Aero lowers come pretapped for #4-40. Problem is finding anything at a #4 tap brick-and-mortar... I ordered a half-dozen setscrews through a hobby shop on Amazon.

Main problem I have is needing to cut the spring, and then cut any spring you replace it with... but this mod is so simple that other than the extra cost and small parts at an Army-wide scale I wonder why Stoner & Sullivan didn't do it from square one.
Thanks. what do you guys think of a split ring lock washer on the buffer tube? No staking or thread lock.

Got a plan to get it back off again? I prefer PWS ratcheting endplates for that role myself, but they're a little pricey.

Endplate really has three jobs:
1. Maintain alignment between buffer tube and lower receiver--not needed if you have a tube with an extended lip notched for the buffer detent, but that's still quite a bit of stress on that tiny little detent.
2. Something to smash into castle nut and hold it on--again, part of the "alignment locking system" that may not really be needed IF you're willing to bet the farm on the buffer detent.
3. Hold takedown spring inside tunnel, object of this discussion.

Last Edited:
Got a plan to get it back off again? I prefer PWS ratcheting endplates for that role myself, but they're a little pricey.

1. Maintain alignment between buffer tube and lower receiver--not needed if you have a tube with an extended lip notched for the buffer detent, but that's still quite a bit of stress on that tiny little detent.
2. Something to smash into castle nut and hold it on--again, part of the "alignment locking system" that may not really be needed IF you're willing to bet the farm on the buffer detent.
Too much torque required to unscrew?

I did shape my buffer tube to get one extra 360 turn. The plunger was cockeyed and upper wouldn't mate. This is my first AR and build.

I'm not sure, TBH. Hell, I don't even use the lockwashers meant for grips... really, in theory if you have a "detent-interface lip" on the buffer tube and a setscrew holding the spring, in THEORY you could dispense with the CN and endplate entirely unless you're using the latter as a sling mount. Then again, in theory if Turd Ferguson had balls he'd be a man...

Do yourself a favor, get a copy of what's called the "23&P" manual--it's what the pros use to maintain and repair 'em for the military.

The PWS one looks great. Thanks

Yep, 4-40 is the correct size. Get the shortest Allen screw you can find.
I put some AeroShell grease in the pin's detent groove and did not have to cut down my spring.
It was sticky without the grease.
YMMV

Never heard of a "teardrop keeper" so I can't help on that.
o_O

ETA:
Any of the detents run smoother for me with a little grease in the track (groove).

Last Edited:
So Fastenal had the 4-40 x 3/16 set screw. I cut about an 1/8" off the spring with a dremel cutoff. The "keeper"..my bad, the receiver end plate. Thanks for the heads up Diamondback on the tapped hole. It's an Aero lower, I had no clue. Nice feature. And the rear pivot take up screw is nice.

cheers
PS. still dry fitting. I have Aeroshell grease, Hoppes gun oil and Permatex blue. I'm going for more of the light lube philosophy. I came in on the inexpensive end but will upgrade barrel, trigger.... I want to see the improvements.

Last Edited:
Anybody see a problem with tapping the 3/32 detent hole #4-48 NF for a setscrew. And replace the teardrop keeper with a split ring lockwasher
i tap all of my 80%ers with a 4-40 tap and put a set screw in it. cut the length of the screw off of the rear detent spring

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top