JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you left the rear sight, and the scope, and you took a spill, will you have a way to remove a properly tightened scope?
Really there's just too many things that could happen while out in the field, so planning for every single thing, and carrying tools, etc. to save your hunt is nearly impossible.
When I go hunting I take along a small toolbox of cleaning supplies, screwdrivers, and various tools. But I leave it all in my truck, or at camp. Can't be worrying about whether I fall and bump my scope, and need iron sights. If that happens it's back to the truck, or camp to make the repair. But I also take two rifles when hunting, so if anything happens to my primary gun I've got a backup that's sighted in, and I can just grab it and return to the field.

If you left the rear sight, and the scope, and you took a spill, will you have a way to remove a properly tightened scope?
This depends on the rifle, and design of the scope mount/rings. On AKs, the side mount was designed for the optic to be removed then placed back on without losing zero. For other rifles with rails, a good q/d mount will return to zero.

Did Ya Know, there were many precision optics built in the day that used Black Widow Spider silk as the 'Cross Hairs" ?
They did this because the Silk is super fine and consistent through out it's length, and with a few spiders in the lab, they had more then enough production available! There used to be an outfit in Portland, on the east side that built and repaired optics, stuff like Transit levels and even old rifle scopes, and they had several spiders in enclosures that they would harvest from, pretty neato set up!

Did Ya Know, there were many precision optics built in the day that used Black Widow Spider silk as the 'Cross Hairs" ?
They did this because the Silk is super fine and consistent through out it's length, and with a few spiders in the lab, they had more then enough production available! There used to be an outfit in Portland, on the east side that built and repaired optics, stuff like Transit levels and even old rifle scopes, and they had several spiders in enclosures that they would harvest from, pretty neato set up!
Screw that!

This depends on the rifle, and design of the scope mount/rings. On AKs, the side mount was designed for the optic to be removed then placed back on without losing zero. For other rifles with rails, a good q/d mount will return to zero.

Most QD type mounts were designed to work with guns to keep the original iron sights also. So They really don't apply to cases where there's a question whether to leave the iron sights or not. It's one of the nice features of QD type scope mounts.
My experience with QD mounts is they do indeed zero after removal very well. At least well enough for hunting use. These QD mounts aren't built for target type accuracy, and wont zero to that level, but that's not what they're designed for anyway.

Most QD type mounts were designed to work with guns to keep the original iron sights also. So They really don't apply to cases where there's a question whether to leave the iron sights or not. It's one of the nice features of QD type scope mounts.
My experience with QD mounts is they do indeed zero after removal very well. At least well enough for hunting use. These QD mounts aren't built for target type accuracy, and wont zero to that level, but that's not what they're designed for anyway.
The siderail mounts on my AKs return to zero (originally a feature only on the svd and later some AKs for night vision), a few QD mounts for rails do too. I think bobro and GDI are two that come to mind.

For other rifles, I'd imagine that if something happens its call it quits for the trip.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top