JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK so a new gun shop opened down the street from where I live. Went in to check the place out. Not too much in the cases and the wall but their new and economy is still ehh. However looking at the prices....wow their expensive. this is contradictory to one of the words in their name.

So I went in there today and asked could they do transfers and how much. $75!!!! At that point I walked out and have no intentions of ever going back.

Last year a little gun store opened near me. Nice enough guy behind the counter, and he seemed to know his stuff. But the prices were simply out of line. I drive by there a lot and I always look, just curious.

Empty.

Tacking an extra 10-25% onto everything only helps pay the lease if you have buyers. But who'll patronize a store if they can get the exact same gun AND a big buttload of ammo for the same price only 2-5 miles away in 3 different directions? I'm not necessarily talking about big mega-stores either, so there's no need to chant verse 1000 of the "I Hate Walmart & You Should Too" mantra here.

It would be so cool to see a little local store take off. Would I pay a bit more because it's close and handy? You bet! I do that with gas, food and other hobbies. And I've done it for 2 pistols recently. But WAY too much? No dice! This sick economy affects me too.

Wish I knew the right balance between inadequate profits and alienating potenial customers. I'd get my FFL pronto.

But sadly I forsaw this a year ago. I don't know what their tranfer fee is at the store near me, but I do believe the overall pricing structure is what keeps the crickets chirping in there.

I think I know the place its on baseline? yea when they first opened I asked about a transfer and they said they couldnt do them ??????
They have another place in Raleigh Hills same thing very high prices.

People have always said you need to support your local XXXXX (name type of business). The flip side of that is those business need to support us also. It is a two way street.

Sadly I find myself doing less and less local. Example today I went in to buy a new sleeping bag, I have bought 2 at this place in the last 10 years. MSRP $59. I can not remember now if they had it for $54 or $64 but I want to say $64 but will not since I am not sure, plus tax. So just for kicks I check online. $35.54 shipped plus tax (amazon). So even at the $54 price that is about 30% higher.

There has to be a happy medium somewhere.......

OK so a new gun shop opened down the street from where I live. Went in to check the place out. Not too much in the cases and the wall but their new and economy is still ehh. However looking at the prices....wow their expensive. this is contradictory to one of the words in their name.

So I went in there today and asked could they do transfers and how much. $75!!!! At that point I walked out and have no intentions of ever going back.

Seriously ! I think I went into the "store you speak of" next to the Goodwill off 185th....

I too could not believe the FULL Retail pricing: you know the price the manufacture recommends, not the street price. Yeah, everything was priced way too high.

Do I have a right to complain? Yes, I am a small business owner myself. Although my margins are better than the "firearm market", I too was... well... put off by this.

Its tough here in the Northwest to be a competitively priced dealer - I am sure of that.

So is this a haggle establishment? Like buying a car or something. Maybe you have to ask for their real selling price.

Typically I like getting good deals on stuff and enjoy the researching part (Wife calls it shopping). I'm willing to drive a little father to get it. I probably spend 15 to 20 in diesel getting to Keiths or the Canby GS. If this place came close I'd buy from them.

Naa I don't ask for the real price if the asking price is way out of line. They won't come down far enough anyway.Or they wouldn't start up so high.
And some get offended when you want to haggle,questioning their prices,OH MY

It like saying you are a fair weather fan.Well if the owners of the team would get better players....
If the local shop owners (any kind of shop) would have decent prices,we would all shop locally.

I think smaller gun shops need to diversify more. Like the guns how have become? Then re purchase what does actually sell. Isn't there a larger profit margin on non firearm items?

Discount Gun Store is a chain of gun shops, there's another one in washington possibly two. I went in their looking for a suppressor host and asked them to quote me a price for a sig that i've seen on gunbroker go for $950 new shipped, the guy behind the counter whacks a couple keys on the keyboard, then scrolls and tells me he can get it here within 2 weeks for $1300, which is beyond full boat retail. I turned around and left.

Had the same experience yesteday. Went in there looking for a MagPull flip up rear sight. The guy behind the counter told me he was out of stock but would be glad to order one in......for $85!!!!! Went down the road two miles and bought it for $60 like it should have been.

I own a small business too.....and that's no way to do business.

I used to work for Discount Gun Sales not as a sales guy though. I can't tell you how many times clueless customers would walk in with money to blow, and get fed some bullcrap line by the sales guys, then walk out with a DPMS AR for like $1300. The guys behind the counter were nice enough, but were under tremendous pressure from the management up in Washington to sell more guns, the boss would call and chew them out daily if they didn't meet their goals. They have sky high prices and they know it, they aren't trying to sell to knowledgeable "gun-people", but are preying on the impulse buyers. The chain is owned by some used car salesman type, definitely NOT a gun guy, or a good guy.

i know you all are speaking of gun shops but their is a pawn store off powell in pdx like 137th i think the prices are high pretty much asking new prices for used weapons the guy is pretty nice straight forward but honestly these are used guns not brand new anyhow just my 2 cents

i know you all are speaking of gun shops but their is a pawn store off powell in pdx like 137th i think the prices are high pretty much asking new prices for used weapons the guy is pretty nice straight forward but honestly these are used guns not brand new anyhow just my 2 cents

Being a pawn shop,just imagine what he paid for those guns too

They have sky high prices and they know it, they aren't trying to sell to knowledgeable "gun-people", but are preying on the impulse buyers. The chain is owned by some used car salesman type, definitely NOT a gun guy, or a good guy.

It's really a shame they've gone this route; back when they were one-store, they had pretty decent prices and service. Long time ago....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top