JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I tested a couple new loads this morning for .45 in a few pistols. In all 3 pistols, both loads tested came out with the brass dirty with burn marks on 1 side of the top half of the brass. I'm using 200gr RN Plated bullets and Titegroup. I started out with 4.7 and 4.8 gr of powder. The load seemed a little light. Recoil was really light, but both loads cycled fine in all 3 guns.

Is the load too light? Is the brass not expanding enough in the chamber and that's why I'm getting powder burns on the outside of the brass? Is my crimp too tight so it's not expanding enough in the chamber? Should I worry about it, or not?

Input appreciated.

Oh, if it matter these are all large primers and I'm using CCI's.

Are you using a Berry's plated bullet, or perhaps a Rainier? A quick look at my Lymans, shows 4.8 to 5.4 of Titegroup for a lead bullet ( I know you are using plated...please bear with me) and from 4.7 to 5.3 of Titegroup for a 200 grain JHP. The general rule of thumb for plated bullets is to load them to the lower end of the jacketed range, or somewhat higher than you would for a cast bullet. You seem to be in the ballpark, and could perhaps add another grain to measure the results. Please let us know how it comes out.

Good luck, and shoot straight.

These were Ariel Shooting Supply projectiles. I also use Xtreme Bullets

I should probably check them through a chrono too. They grouped well, and I'd prefer to keep the lighter load for practice, but if the powder burning of the case mouth (and probably the chamber) is bad, I'll keep testing.

Last Edited:
Check your O.A.L. , and/or try 5.0 grains. Info on Extreme bullets is hard to find, try to find a similar length bullet that you can get info on and follow it's load data.
Once O.A.L. is established make 10 rounds each of 4.8, 5.0, 5.2, and see which works best for your gun.

This is what I do your results may very.

Here's what they look like. The other half of the case mouth is clean.

image.jpg

That sounds like what I should do. Now I'm mostly curious as to why that happens. It did that in the M&P, H&K and the Para P12.

I've now tumbled the brass and it all comes off completely, just wondering what is happening in the chamber to make it do that.

I use a similar target/range load with Titegroup and 200 gr x-treme bullets. My brass is a bit smoky since the pressure is not high enough to fully seal the brass to the chamber. I've loaded and shot about 1000 this way without any issue except cleaning a bit more often.

Thanks Bxc53, not only does that sound similar, that sounds exactly the same. Have you fired your loads through a chrono? What's their speed if so?

I'll ask this also, if there is more hot gas escaping out of the chamber and toward the rear, should we worry about magazine followers or poly frames being damaged? Because I'm not worried about cleaning the gun or the brass, and I like using less powder and the light recoil. Easier on the wrists and quicker follow up shots.

Thanks Bxc53, not only does that sound similar, that sounds exactly the same. Have you fired your loads through a chrono? What's their speed if so?

I'll ask this also, if there is more hot gas escaping out of the chamber and toward the rear, should we worry about magazine followers or poly frames being damaged? Because I'm not worried about cleaning the gun or the brass, and I like using less powder and the light recoil. Easier on the wrists and quicker follow up shots.

I haven't seen any problems with my plastic 45's. I use this
Load in my 2 1911's ,a Glock 21 and a Ruger SR45. The mag followers and nearby area gets sooty,but it basically just wipes off . I like the soft shooting for just the reasons you mention.

I don't have a chrono, but they seem to group nicely if I'm having a good day..

I know you mentioned crimping the in first post, to my knowledge you not supposed to crimp the .45 at all, its supposed to be a hard square shoulder, basically crimp it just enough so you cant easily push the bullet back in, and I load berrysmfg plated all day long, I would just bump it up and don't worry about running them to hot, you still well under 1000fps it shouldn't be an issue with the jackets separating.

your loads are light, The brass is not fully sealing the chamber and that is the source of the sootiness.

This could be it or It could be that the crimp is so light that the bullet is being pushed out before all the powder has ignited. This will also cause soot down the side. That said Titegroup is a faster burning powder so it's more than likely your load is too light. I use AA#2 and 5.2 grains /1.25 OAL is my blend for 230 gr Xtreme RN and 5.6 AA#2 when I use 200 gr FP Xtremes @ 1.21 OAL

I know this is something of a necropost, but what did you end up doing?

I'm shooting 4.6-4.8 gr Titegroup behind 230 gr plated bullets. Your load might be a bit underpowered for 200 gr bullets. Do you have access to a chronograph? Your ideal velocity should be in the range of 825-875 fps (from power factor calculations for 200gr). I always keep a number of powder puff loads for my wife and new shooters so they can enjoy shooting without developing a flinch or sore wrists.

The .45 indexes on the case mouth so if you crimp too much you risk having the round slide forward while in battery.

Having said that, I get smoked brass all the time in my S&W M&P .45. There are many different opinions online as to whether Titegroup is smoky or not, perhaps all relative to the last powder someone used before switching. I've tried adjusting charge weight up and down without effect. When I went down too far I got flecks of unburned powder blowing back into my face.

Your loads are probably too light. This is what causes the blowback, the cases are not sealing against the chamber, And since the case headspaces off the mouth, You should not crimp. If the brass has been sized to many times it might be work hardened and need to be replaced, this should increase your neck tension - and internal pressures. Of course your firing chamber might be worn out or just to big also. COL can cause radical changes in pressure an MV, so make sure it's correct - A chrono would really help also.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top