JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mom and Dad first rented then bought homes both in Magalia and Paradise. Twenty five years ago the Butte County Supervisors knew "The Hill" was a potential death trap. Was everything that could have been practically done done to stiffen up the emergency services?

Not pointing fingers too much. When everything has been said and done people need to take personal responsibility for where and how they live. This was the perfect storm. Everything failed. Everything possible to prevent it would have failed also. Did residences know?

Enough said. Had some family friends up there. Have not been in contact in years. I do wonder if they are still alive. Friends and family of mom and dad. Eventually perhaps we will be able to enter a name and get some sort of answer what happened to them. Sad.

I am now old and "cooted". Did once drive a fire engine for a small good ISO Class 1 fire department. Long ago, far away.

View attachment 521552 For those who lived/been to Paradise or anyone who just knows fires. The level of destruction is amazing. And then you see the random "untouched" house.
I believe the heat and embers etc spread the fire throughout the town. Any idea why the houses that didn't burn didn't? I'd think tile roofs and Hardi plank siding would help. Is that not common material there? Was it just luck?
What can we learn to improve our home survivability?

Some of those random houses that didn't burn were saved by the homeowners who stayed back and did things like blowing leaves and pine needles out of the gutters and watering down the roofs before losing water pressure. The other side of that story is that the Sheriff later swept up the ashes of some of those folks, so that tactic is a crapshoot in an event as volatile and swift as the Camp Fire was... Each of us will have to make that choice for ourselves if, God forbid, we are ever faced with a similar situation.

In regards to local disasters, I believe the single best preparation is a cash reserve in a national bank, not a local one that could burn to the ground along with your house, guns, food storage, camping and survival gear, etc. If you have only enough time to load up the family and go, your ATM card will work in the next town over...

The most common issue I saw as a fire fighter was people waiting too long to leave, or not even getting the alerts!
My Company fought the L.A. hills fires AND the NAPA fires last year, the L.A. fires, folks had lots of advance warning, but the NAPA fires were much faster and folks were quickly overwhelmed. it didn't help that the Cities lost water supplies do to the pump stations going down ( which was my number 1 focus on arrival) but folks had no where to go and a seriously clogged road system, so much so that my entire column of trucks and equipment had to use the shoulders and fields to get through.

As for preps. Know that area you live in, and do a current risk assessment.
Know the routs out and have as many back ups as you can.
When the "Season" starts up. have a "Plan" in place and your preps set and ready to go.
Don't count on the "System" as has been shown time after time, these fires move fast and the "System" gets overwhelmed very fast.
Have two or more fall back areas to get to, even if just as rally points, gathering of your tribe.
KNOW THE WIND. Cali has the unique and totally predictable Santa Anna Winds, while extremely powerful, they are completely predictable, Know which way the winds will drive a fire, and get the hell out of the way!
Knowing the winds, make preps on the windward side of your home and property to lessen the effects should a fire come your way.
Add on fire protection! Make sure the building materials are fire/heat resistant, and the yard/landscaping will provide a natural barrier to a fire!

Best laid plans, Paradise was a YUGE lesson learned, that fire ( like NAPA) moved Horizontally at great speed, it moved so fast and so hot that the trees didn't burn ( though about 60% are now dead) so the trees didn't help slow and convert the winds to a vertical burn. A Vertical fire that is slower moving can be fought, where as a fast moving wind blown HOT fire cannot be fought from the ground. Get in front of it cutting fire brakes, it will blow you out, and fighting it vertically will race past you before you get any good drops over it! Bottom line is, know what your facing, if you live in a high risk area, have plans and follow those plans. When it's time to get out, don't wait for some official to tell you and don't rely on the "System" to help you! Plan to loose every thing, that's the big take away, even if you prep your home and property, those fires can and will destroy what ever you build! Seen it time after time, even a cement home can cook the insides out and burn!

Break an AR in half and keep it stashed in a duffle bag for when you get situated somewhere or have to camp in a wierd place.

Might make sense to keep the halves clean. I found a couple of covers, has anybody tried these or others? I suppose you could also use garbage bags to keep the clean and serviceable.

Shapeways has this lower dust cover
upload_2018-12-12_11-25-29.png

And Raven Concealment Systems has this upper cover that holds the BCG in place
upload_2018-12-12_11-28-26.png

Might make sense to keep the halves clean. I found a couple of covers, has anybody tried these or others? I suppose you could also use garbage bags to keep the clean and serviceable.

View attachment 527290

View attachment 527291

Solid ideas, I roll mine up in an old towel. Hides them from a quick glance and keeps any other oil or grease on the outside from contaminating things. I have also used a trash bag in a Rush.

View attachment 527290

View attachment 527291

Do you have a Shapeways lower cover? There may be issues depending the type of trigger and such:

AR15 Lower Receiver Dust Cover by mtotheq on Shapeways

Mercedes. ;)

addition: My thinking is if she has to leave or bug out and meet me somewhere her car will not get her very far with ground clearance. I think a truck would be better.
My old truck faired much better in the ice storm 3 years ago. Just a broken wiper, versus a totaled Mercedes.
IceStorm - 1X.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads