JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm sure we've all been following the news about the destruction down in Paradise, CA. I worked in that small town for several years and am absolutely heart-broken at the destruction. A dozen of my friends lost everything. I don't want to see that happen to anyone else.

We can all agree that Paradise is a total SHTF scenario. Realistically such a disaster is far more likely than a zombie apocalypse or collapse of society. I've talked to a lot of people that have SHTF/Bug Out Plans like the situation will require evasion and shootouts. So let's put those situations aside for a moment and discuss more plausible disasters and how to prepare.

Here are a few of my thoughts:

1. I don't let the gas in my tank get below 1/2 full. I know of several people down in CA that were looking for fuel on the day of the fire. Once disaster strikes it's too late.
2. I carry a med kit and fire extinguisher in my vehicle at all times (along with a few other things). Be prepared to render aid when needed.
3. Think about the animals. Human life is the #1 priority but you'd have to have a pretty cold heart to have pets/livestock and not have an extraction plan if time allowed. One lady in CA was trying to find cat carriers to carry her several cats when the evacuation order came. Have a way to transport your pets and put some pet food aside next to your own emergency bag. I'm not advocating running into a burning building to save Snowball....but if you plan ahead you may not have to. (It should also be noted that pets, especially dogs, can offer a huge morale boost after a tragedy)
4. Have cash readily available. I know it can be tough to save. I spent a year throwing loose change in a jar and ended up with $200...so there are plenty of tips to save money. You probably don't need to dig out your gold coins in a natural disaster but you will have to buy food and other items for you and your family down the road.
5. Communication. In a serious situation the cell towers could be jammed with all the traffic. Have a talk with your family about alternate ways of communication or places to meet in case of emergency.
6. Consider alternate modes of transportation. Paradise had two main roads and one alternate road out of town. All were jammed with cars trying to escape and people ended up getting trapped. If you're in the Puget Sound area you know how bad traffic is on a normal day. Now imagine an evacuation. Consider a good bicycle, ATV, or other vehicle that can get you from point A-B
7. Keep important papers in a fireproof safe (you can even upload some to the cloud if you're tech savy).
8. Everything is replaceable but you. Be safe and have a plan. If disaster strikes be decisive and move quickly.

What other tips and lessons have you learned for a serious natural disaster?

All solid points.

I also worked in paradise for years. Sad to see it go. Lots of lower middle class people that couldn't afford this.

Natural disaster situations really interest me. I agree that SHTF TEOWAKI is easier and more fun to plan for, but pretty slim odds.

We All need a plan or things to grab that alloaw us to survive in an urban/hotel situation for a local disaster.

The basic thing to remember, is the cure for SHTF is having your S together:

A small bag packed
Documents stored and backed up
Items catagorized and stored for insurance
Extra meds
Some food, first aid etc. Stash of current Dog food is important to prevent uoset stomach.
Water and caffiene
Comfort items for children and pets, leashes, etc.
A good CCW pistol for yourself and family
Break an AR in half and keep it stashed in a duffle bag for when you get situated somewhere or have to camp in a wierd place.

For anyone wanting to do more research:

Argentina:
http://www.rapidtrends.com/surving-argentinas-economic-collapse-part-1-3/

Katrina:
Thoughts On Disasters

"If invited to a dinner party and you can't figure out what's on the menu, it's you" :(
http://interdictor.livejournal.com/2005/08/27/

http://recessionreadyamerica.com/20...rom-my-hurricane-katrina-survival-experience/
"I read the one from the Hurricane Katrina Survivor last night and a recurring theme (or one of them) was that if you seem to be capable of riding out the situation then you have somehow swindled your neighbors and therefore they are entitled to some of your stuff. I can see the point of that statement "Well you have stuff, we don't so give us some stuff" but was it really that previlant or isolated incidents etc: Something else I took away was that the help you get may not be the help you want/need. And lastely it seemed that the best way to ride out any event would be neighborhood involvement (I live in a dead end street so maybe just the block) or trying to be as invisible as possible. Or at least those seemed to be some of the recurring themes."

Katrina Experiences - Note this is very long - Zombie Squad

Bosnia

Casper Dot IM

Haiti

http://www.theroot.com/views/surviving-haiti-earthquake

Fukishima

Anne Kaneko's Fukushima Blog: About

The only thing I might reconsider is a relying on a fireproof safe. Better than nothing, but it isn't going to hold up to a forest fire.

All good points. Sadly, wildfires are common in this part of the state. We've made various preparations, but still have some to go. I don't see it getting any better any time soon.

Very good points indeed.

These fires seem harsher than any other time I can recall. One has to wonder if our miss guided land management will ever get a clue. You can't leave all that tinder in our forests and not expect this to happen.

We used to pay for our school system with profits from our forest here in Washington State and the forests we're healthier for it.

Great thread!! I personally still have some things to take care of. Like two way radio's. Still looking and needing some of those so I can communicate with the wife. Other thing is the wifes rig. Trying to convince her that she needs a truck instead of what she owns. IMHO a truck is better to bug out in.

A fire would be the only reason I would bug out. If at all possible I would bug in and ride out the storm at home.

IMHO a truck is better to bug out in.

Explain, not sure what you are thinking.

A fire would be the only reason I would bug out. If at all possible I would bug in and ride out the storm at home.

Me too. But it would have to be a helluva storm! We've had ice storms that took out the power for 5 days. Now I keep 3 generators and some propane appliances for cooking/heating. For society collapse or zombies I'll rely on neighborhood defense. But for forest fires... I don't think it will be a problem. The Grande Ronde valley is 15x30 miles of bottom land with forest only up at the top of mountainsides. Tho blowing embers might become a problem, I don't see it spreading from house to house. Only if we lose water pressure.

Mercedes. ;)

addition: My thinking is if she has to leave or bug out and meet me somewhere her car will not get her very far with ground clearance. I think a truck would be better.

My 77yr old wife would get lost before leaving town, much less trying to follow a GPS to a camp somewhere. I can understand the benefit for those that have that plan tho. It's just hard to relate to where I live. And I think that those fleeing the cities will meet with some huge problems out in the woods. Might live 2-4 days longer than in the city.

Living on the coast where the forest meets the ocean... in case of forest fire better have a boat!! A big one with a cabin and food stores.

My 77yr old wife would get lost before leaving town, much less trying to follow a GPS to a camp somewhere. I can understand the benefit for those that have that plan tho. It's just hard to relate to where I live. And I think that those fleeing the cities will meet with some huge problems out in the woods. Might live 2-4 days longer than in the city.

Living on the coast where the forest meets the ocean... in case of forest fire better have a boat!! A big one with a cabin and food stores.

My plan is to bug in at all cost. I keep everything with me in my truck to hike home if needed. The only way my wife would bug out with out me is if we got caught by surprise with a forest fire. Which to be honest isn't likely. If I had even a thought I wouldn't go to work.

67819124-6861-48B1-85CD-FD19BEFE53CD.jpeg For those who lived/been to Paradise or anyone who just knows fires. The level of destruction is amazing. And then you see the random "untouched" house.
I believe the heat and embers etc spread the fire throughout the town. Any idea why the houses that didn't burn didn't? I'd think tile roofs and Hardi plank siding would help. Is that not common material there? Was it just luck?
What can we learn to improve our home survivability?

I don't understand the "we barely made it out alive" stories.

Were they not aware fire was coming their way or perhaps thought, if we leave prematurely we'll be looted as looting is apparently happening with sickening frequency?

View attachment 521552 For those who lived/been to Paradise or anyone who just knows fires. The level of destruction is amazing. And then you see the random "untouched" house.
I believe the heat and embers etc spread the fire throughout the town. Any idea why the houses that didn't burn didn't? I'd think tile roofs and Hardi plank siding would help. Is that not common material there? Was it just luck?
What can we learn to improve our home survivability?

I saw that in the early 90's in Oakland. It was a nice area and neighborhoods were leveled to the foundations but there would be two or three houses on each block that were untouched. I would imagine all the utilities were cut to the area so the homes ere still unlivable. It was also eerily quiet.

Firewise.net landscaping and home construction checklists:
http://www.firewise.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/fwlistsz.pdf

Is your home protected? (4+ MB pdf)
http://www.firewise.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/wildfr2.pdf

Defensible space in the USA: (9+ MB pdf)
http://www.firewise.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Safer-From-the-Start.pdf

More at:
Sustainable Forestry & Ecology | Firewise Landscapes

I think if I lived in the forest, I'd consider adding aluminum siding on the house. Might use that roll stuff that roofers use for roof valleys. Ugly? Possibly. Would I care? Nope. :)
You can buy it in 50 foot rolls x 24" wide on the internet; Home Depot has some, but maybe not in the 24" wide rolls. I'd hem the edges so it isn't a cutting hazard, and to give a beefier section for fasteners. Probably use SS fasteners with SS washers. Would it meet code? Don't know. Would want to limit the length of sections to limit expansion/contraction.

If you live in a fire prone area, not only should you have trees limbed up and away from your structure but also keep your gutters and roof clean from leaves and conifer needles. One small spark landing in a small pile of leaves and needles would ignite quickly and spread fast. The house in the picture above seems to have a composite roof but looks very clean. I know many in dry regions don't have gutters but the valleys on the roof collect the debris all the same. Maybe that house had a recent visit from roof-life..... oooooooooh one two five!!!!

I've never been to Paradise myself. My wife has relatives down that way that lost both homes and businesses to the fires. I agree with all that has been shared here. We lived through the Okanogan Fires of 2015 and 2016. In 2016 we had to bug out away from our rural home with only about 45 minutes notice. Be prepared and stay frosty my friends. When you are prepared you don't have to think about the "whats". Just go!

It sounds like most were warned by family/friends or had seen the smoke/fire, and the emergency notification system/process failed for the most part. They had 3 main routes out of town and they were clogged with cars. This monster was a fast mover and overwhelmed the emergency response system at the basic level. Individual effort saved a lot of folks. This article pretty much tells the story.
Camp Fire: Emergency alert system failed, people were trapped

This is a link to a satellite pic of the fire. The town is located just above the shaded smoke spot.
California fires: Satellite pictures of fire from space - Aerial pictures of DEVASTATION

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top