JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't care beyond the fact it reflects on the board. Why does Snipershide, Arfcom, etc allow for some common sense moderation? A bunch of overpriced people trying to gouge people reflects badly on the board. Beyond that when the mods have chosen to allow posts that border on outright lies about a gun, well with all the rules in place you'd think they'd try to enforce some to keep that slime out. But that's just my $0.02

I have yet to see any obvious "price gouging" on here recently. People will complain about someone selling a glock for $550-600, yes its above market price, but maybe they bought it for $650 and didn't buy it at the cheapest place. Just because someone is selling something for more than you can buy it at the lowest price somewhere else doesn't mean that they are gouging prices. Now if they were selling a stock glock for $800-1000 than it would be gouging.

For example just try to go into most any gun shop and buy a 10/22, 9 times out of 10 the price will be considerably more than bimart. So are the gun shops trying to rip buyers off? No. Following that example, someone who may have bought a 10/22 at one of those shops for lets say $250, eventually tries to sell it for $200. This is more than bimarts sale price, are they gouging?

Another recent example brought up was a Troy AR for sale, someone was selling one new for more than Dick's black friday sale, however the price was inline with what you'd find at your average ma and pa gunshop.

Yes these examples are probably higher prices than people want to pay, but its not price gouging. Price gouging for example would be what cheaper than dirt did last election pricing standard AR uppers at $1000 and cases of .223 at nearly a grand as well.

There may have been obvious price gouging examples on here, I just haven't seen any since the 2008 election.

It is simple... If you buy the first thing you come across without shopping around or doing a little research, you deserve whatever the outcome may be. Aside from an actual deception or misleading statement, it is the buyer's responsibility to know what they are buying and that especially applies to price.

Heck, if I had a Keltec KSG right now I would have no problem selling it for double the price. Unless it is something you can't absolutely live without, you would be foolish not to take advantage of the situation.

While I often laugh at higher-than-retail pricing on Glocks on this site, the actual value of a gun is somewhat subjective. For instance, there is a current "what is my gun worth" thread on this site that shows that many people don't think an original Marlin levergun with walnut stocks could be worth as much as the new mass-produced Walmart version with pressed birch stocks. I would hate for those people to moderate my ads on specialty guns. On the other hand, I'd love to use their logic to buy their family heirloom antique guns for Walmart prices.

The motivation level of the seller is also a big factor in pricing guns. For instance, I currently have a used gun listed for $100 more than last week's Bi-Mart sale price on the gun. However, it has only been fired once, I don't need to sell it, and it includes $125 worth of accessories that I had to buy from at least 4 different sources and install myself. If it doesn't sell, I will compare the price to my motivation level and decide how to proceed from there. However, I would be upset if some self-proclaimed "expert" went through and edited my ad and reduced the price by $150 because he once saw a beat up used gun of the same model sell for that price.

Honestly I just look at the NWF for sale board just for laughs.

BUT the over pricing is not unique to this board, look at craigslist or even used cars. It is unique to Portland.

My friends and I all non oregonians laugh and joke Oregonians think that if they touch something it does up in price.

If you look at the prices of guns sold by portlanders versus salem or even vancouver, portlanders will always ask for more than it is worth. Replace guns with cars, beanie babies, guitars, etc if you wish

Purchases are subjective to what a person will , buy trade etc. I have a nice trailer and traded it for my Sig P229 a few years ago. It is a police issue and I thought hey cool and traded for it. Too it into a gun smith and had the once over the guy offered me $500.00 on the spot for it. I said no thanks, but you can usually fine a used Sig in good condition for $500.00 now this was a dealer so either he was reselling or wanted for himself. I did not sell cause I think its a very nice gun and the being a police issue is kinda cool and has the extended mags back in the early 2000's when it was banned.

Point being it is what people are willing to pay, I have a nice plinker a Savage Mark II, bolt action 10 clip. Nothing special really other then it does not have the accutrigger which I like. Some love it, I have tried it and do not. Seems savage is now making this accu thingy part of their selling point. I like mine cause one less thing to break, and was why I bought the bolt action to begin with and with a 10 clip I can shoot at targets awhile too. And I would not sell my Savage for anything under $400.00 not that it is worth that ( well maybe with the scope) but I like it and can see no reason to sell it unless a outrageous offer was made.

My son cinched a Sears/Winchester 12 I think it is 800, any who he bought it for 120.00 two years ago and has been offered
up to a $1000.00 because it has a Sears / Winchester Factory stamp. Did he sell it nope.

This post was just to show how and why people may or may not buy or sell for prices.

Honestly I just look at the NWF for sale board just for laughs.

My friends and I all non oregonians laugh and joke Oregonians think that if they touch something it does up in price.

If you look at the prices of guns sold by portlanders versus salem or even vancouver, portlanders will always ask for more than it is worth. Replace guns with cars, beanie babies, guitars, etc if you wish

I just sold one on here and try and sell at fair market when open selling, if approached it a whole other deal LOL.
Sold my Jennings for what they go at auctions online for and was a tad lower then average that I sold it for.
But I did not need it and was selling for that reason.

Mauser98k
Anyways my point of this rant is i come on here and other forums to find deals but if everyone is going to over charge like the a holes at the guns shows then whats the point? can someone explain this madness to me...please

Well I am happy you come here looking for deals and I am sorry they aren’t to your price cutting satisfaction. As you stated you came here looking for deals and if you did not find any then I guess you’re still looking then.

Wow after reading all these posts I do not know if I am the crazy one or some of the folks here. But here are my thoughts.

First if you don’t like the price don’t buy it, how much simpler can it be.

If you can get it cheaper elsewhere do it but do not tell me what I have is not worth what I am asking, I feel it is. If it does not sell that is my problem not yours.

You may think just the folks in your area look at the posts on this forum but there are people all over the US that read this forum and maybe in that state the Item is hard to get and the price I am asking is cheap compared the their local area.

I have never posted anything for sale on the forum but I do not feel the prices are giving this forum a bad name.

You put your items in the “Classifieds forum” not the “I am selling my stuff for cheap to make you happy forum”

But hay this is just my thoughts on the matter…

Well I am happy you come here looking for deals and I am sorry they aren't to your price cutting satisfaction. As you stated you came here looking for deals and if you did not find any then I guess you're still looking then.

Wow after reading all these posts I do not know if I am the crazy one or some of the folks here. But here are my thoughts.

First if you don't like the price don't buy it, how much simpler can it be.

If you can get it cheaper elsewhere do it but do not tell me what I have is not worth what I am asking, I feel it is. If it does not sell that is my problem not yours.

You may think just the folks in your area look at the posts on this forum but there are people all over the US that read this forum and maybe in that state the Item is hard to get and the price I am asking is cheap compared the their local area.

I have never posted anything for sale on the forum but I do not feel the prices are giving this forum a bad name.

You put your items in the "Classifieds forum" not the "I am selling my stuff for cheap to make you happy forum"

But hay this is just my thoughts on the matter...

My sentiments exactly. I sell things for what it is this worth to ME. I buy things for what it is worth to ME.

If people use the same logic and want more for their item, good for them, I might shop elsewhere.

I will never complain about 3 things: weather, driving/travel distance, and the price of goods.

Well I am happy you come here looking for deals and I am sorry they aren't to your price cutting satisfaction. As you stated you came here looking for deals and if you did not find any then I guess you're still looking then.

First if you don't like the price don't buy it, how much simpler can it be.

Yep

My take on the high prices for used firearms is that some folks will pay the extra 'premium' to avoid a background check. Oh look, an elephant.....

Problem with that theory is why would someone be willing to pay $1200 for a $700 AR to avoid a background check when you can find a fair-priced AR on the same site for $700 and still avoid a background check. Are people seeking to avoid BG checks just stupid?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top