JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not big on fish, so I leave the salmon for my wife. :(

But, I'll eat anything that comes out of my pots/traps...:)
I love to freak people out with Sea Cucumbers. Few know they taste just like Razor Clams...:p

I *so* miss Ming's Dynasty on Washington (IIRC, that was the street).
Haven't been in a long time, but at Kwan's in Salem, order off menu and you can get some genuine Cantonese. Had no idea how good and genuine it was until I spent several weeks in Shanghai.

I'll give you a recommendation if you are ever going I-5 through Kalama Washingington. So there is a critic page for Chinese restaurants, and they have a "Top 100" Chinese restaurants in North America. Let's face it, must be like 45,000 of them in our part of the hemisphere, but lo and behold, one of the top 100 is in the small burg of Kalama, right on I-5. The Lucky Dragon... What can I say. It is a great place to dine on Chinese. The top 100 designation is well deserved. I have indulged a bunch there. Fine service and food... at a very reasonable price.

Last Edited:
I *so* miss Ming's Dynasty on Washington (IIRC, that was the street).
Haven't been in a long time, but at Kwan's in Salem, order off menu and you can get some genuine Cantonese. Had no idea how good and genuine it was until I spent several weeks in Shanghai.

FYI- The old guy who owned Kwan's died and the family decided to shut the place down. Marco Polo is just about the only place in Salem that I know of for decent Chinese food.

Canned calamari?! Good crap that's got to taste nasty
Walmart carries spiced calamari, canned. Also comes non-spiced. It's imported from Spain. Best danged stuff ever!! I it's in the tuna section. Not expensive either.
Edit: pic

IMG_20200329_210209.jpg

Last Edited:
FYI- The old guy who owned Kwan's died and the family decided to shut the place down. Marco Polo is just about the only place in Salem that I know of for decent Chinese food.
Yah, I read about Kam San Kwan's death. I thought the kids and grand kids would run it.
Someone probably offered buckets of Yuen, and that's a no-brainer. Running a restaurant is hard.

I would have to say that if the scallops were indeed fake but you really enjoyed them, what's the problem? However, if you know your scallops and definitely know that something was funky, then call out the restaurant. Scallops have a variety of textures from slightly chewy to buttery smooth. If they are overcooked, they can get downright chewy or have the flavor cooked out of them. If you want a treat, order some as sushi from a quality Japanese restaurant. They will melt in your mouth.

A few yrs ago I was diving in The Channel Islands. At about 90', I find a nice large scallop in the rocks. I pull out my knife, wedged the scallop out of the rocks, opened it up, and wiped the guts away.
I take a breath, pull my regulator outta my mouth and pop in the fresh scallop...

MAN! What a treat! Sweet and so tender that it melted in my mouth!

Prolly neither, it scurried in the gutter and hid in the corner. You sure that's pork in your "pork fried rice" ?
Doesn't stop me from going for Chinese or Phó.
Had BBQ'ed rat-on-a-stick in Saigon about 20 years ago. Right outta one of those street vendor push carts. Delicious.
He had dog and cat, too!

Seriously brother, dog, cat, bat, rat and a host of other questionable proteins are common fair in China. No stretch of the imagination to understand Chinese/American cooks are still carrying on with the Old Country recipes...
Reader board outside Chinese restaurant:

COME IN! NEW MENU ITEMS!
AND NO, WE NO SEE YOUR CAT!

back in the 70s old downtown PDX had "Hung Far Low".....pretty decent at the time...now long gone
Hung Far Low had a great bar but pretty bad food. We used to go to the bar after everything else closed, they poured a stiff drink. Jumbos at the bottom of Johnson Creek still does the same thing.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top