JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, we ordered take-out from a chain restaurant whose initials are RL.
I think that the scallops were fake.

How do I know ?
They were thicker on one side....not a nice, even cylinder.
The texture seemed off.
I could see traces of darker colored "skin".
Blech ! Skate !

From the Web...
A fake scallop will have fewer fibers and appear more solid and dense. *And finally, look for at the thickness and see if it's the same on all sides. If it's made from a stingray or skate, it will be thicker on one side because their wings taper greatly from one side to the other.

ETA:
Don't get me going on FAKE CRAB !
Thanks OSU !

1585536014643.jpeg

The really scary one is fake Calmari, it's not even seafood, it's most likely from the midwest and it is a hard to market part of an otherwise delicious animal. So beware cheap breaded calmari rings.

My favorite food.
Hunan Pearl in LO was good back in the day.
Back in the day Mings dynasty and Tuck Lung were awesome also.
I *so* miss Ming's Dynasty on Washington (IIRC, that was the street).
Haven't been in a long time, but at Kwan's in Salem, order off menu and you can get some genuine Cantonese. Had no idea how good and genuine it was until I spent several weeks in Shanghai.

The really scary one is fake Calmari, it's not even seafood, it's most likely from the midwest and it is a hard to market part of an otherwise delicious animal. So beware cheap breaded calmari rings.

I do so enjoy calamari in various forms very much, but now I genuinely concerned. :eek:

I will stick to my regular sources; both canned and fresh, to play it safe.

Good luck finding non fakes at a chain store.

Better finding them at the supermarket.

I've always called BS on the cats and dogs things. Chicken and pork are way to cheap to hunt down dogs and cats
Seriously brother, dog, cat, bat, rat and a host of other questionable proteins are common fair in China. No stretch of the imagination to understand Chinese/American cooks are still carrying on with the Old Country recipes...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top