JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
back in the 70s old downtown PDX had "Hung Far Low".....pretty decent at the time...now long gone
Hung Far Low moved out to NE 82nd and Division, I think, but it closed in the last few years. I wonder where that neon sign went. I bet if it sold on the open market, I bet it could get $$Thousands$$. I mean that name is classic!

It's not okay to serve skate-wing scallops as the real thing without revealing and charging for what they really are.

And artificial crab...Certainly not a replacement for the real thing, but it's a dish in itself. I like surimi with cocktail sauce.

From the Web...
A fake scallop will have fewer fibers and appear more solid and dense. *And finally, look for at the thickness and see if it's the same on all sides. If it's made from a stingray or skate, it will be thicker on one side because their wings taper greatly from one side to the other.
-
I have to say though, I really like grilled Stingray, is pretty good eating..

Seriously brother, dog, cat, bat, rat and a host of other questionable proteins are common fair in China. No stretch of the imagination to understand Chinese/American cooks are still carrying on with the Old Country recipes...
-

News.. aliens land in China...jpg

Last Edited:
Really? In merica?
I'd believe it. Especially if the food is being shipped here from an Asian country. When I was in Korea I remember driving by a restaurant that had dog cages stacked on the side of the building full of dogs. My friend tried it and said it was ok but it made him feel weird eating a dog. I would never do it. But it's not cheaper to hunt anything than it is to breed stuff for the sole purpose of eating. Especially at a commercial level. I don't know the regulations are for checking if a meat is what it says it is but seeing how it definitely happens with fish I wouldnt be surprised if it happens with other animals, especially if its being shipped here from any Asian country.

Well, we ordered take-out from a chain restaurant whose initials are RL.
I think that the scallops were fake.

How do I know ?
They were thicker on one side....not a nice, even cylinder.
The texture seemed off.
I could see traces of darker colored "skin".
Blech ! Skate !

From the Web...
A fake scallop will have fewer fibers and appear more solid and dense. *And finally, look for at the thickness and see if it's the same on all sides. If it's made from a stingray or skate, it will be thicker on one side because their wings taper greatly from one side to the other.

ETA:
Don't get me going on FAKE CRAB !
Thanks OSU !
Very interesting. Id actually like to hear about the fake crab if you want to send me a PM. Seafood and whatnot is out of my wheelhouse

Since it was sort of brought up about, "Made in China" food products.

Wait a second? Do Chinese "Hot Dogs" really contain dog?

1254647319333.jpg

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Very interesting. Id actually like to hear about the fake crab if you want to send me a PM. Seafood and whatnot is out of my wheelhouse
Fake Crab

There was a piece on OPB I think it was, many moons ago on how Fake Crab was made.
I think OSU developed the process.
They deep-trawl Hake and Pacific Whiting....creepy deep water fish.
Then they grind the fish flesh up into this slurry and add flavorings....I imagine it stinks to high heaven at this point.
Then it solidifies (I forget the step), they red dye it and then slice it.
Yummy !

Last Edited:
Actually, what the western world now calls fake crab, has been a staple of the Asian world for centuries. They didn't need to call it fake crab, as they didn't need to pretend it was anything other than what it is...

Surimi...
fish (often pollock) that is minced to make a gelatinous paste that is then flavored, reformed into flakes, sticks, or other shapes, and colored. It is used as a crab substitute.
"Americans now eat more than 130 million pounds of surimi a year"

Personally, as I've said, I like the stuff. And being made from pollock, it is very mild, both in taste and odor.

Actually, what the western world now calls fake crab, has been a staple of the Asian world for centuries. They didn't need to call it fake crab, as they didn't need to pretend it was anything other than what it is...

Surimi...
fish (often pollock) that is minced to make a gelatinous paste that is then flavored, reformed into flakes, sticks, or other shapes, and colored. It is used as a crab substitute.

Personally, as I've said, I like the stuff. And being made from pollock, it is very mild, both in taste and odor.

I'm a fan. I like it. I only buy it about once a year though. I dont care what it's made of, it taste good. I know it's not crab but never cared what it actually was. I'll keep buying it when I get the urge to do so.

As a frequent diner at Chinese restaurants I'm pretty sure the chicken once meowed and the pork once barked... :s0110:

My dad was in occupied France during WW II and they went to town one night to drink and grab azz with the local ladies, and they got into a fight with some drunk Frenchies and ended up having to go out the back door in the alley.

They tripped on some stuff going out and there were piles of cat and dog skins and skulls piled in the alley. They never went back there.

Surimi...

You can have that stuff. My wife worked on her dads fishing boat from the age of 9 until she went to college, (marine biology major to start) trawling out of Crescent City and Brookings. She landed tons of fish and is a quality snob on fish and I am very grateful for that. It is funny when some fish monger tries to bullsh*t her about the fish she is looking to buy.

The really scary one is fake Calmari, it's not even seafood, it's most likely from the midwest and it is a hard to market part of an otherwise delicious animal. So beware cheap breaded calmari rings.

Makes great steelhead bait. It's tough and stays on the hook well.

Tacobell still hands out too many napkins!

I wouldnt know. :rolleyes::p;):D

If you want a treat, order some as sushi from a quality Japanese restaurant. They will melt in your mouth.

Sea scallops (sushi) are like eating ice cream... sooooo good!

It's not okay to serve skate-wing scallops as the real thing without revealing and charging for what they really are.

And artificial crab...Certainly not a replacement for the real thing, but it's a dish in itself. I like surimi with cocktail sauce.

I like surimi. I don't much care for the well know scam of passing off shark fin, etc, as scallops in restaurants. Esp not at those prices. Safeway had good Giant Sea Scallop flown in from Japan. Or at least they used to... I'm not too sure about the ones sold in a bag now. And I wouldn't ever buy them in a bag from Grocery Outlet, but I had them out of the meat case.

Last Edited:

Surimi...

I love it. Trans Ocean imitation lobster and crab is what me and my dog like. If I crack open a bag he's right in front of me giving me the sad eyes until I start tossing him chunks. But he likes broccoli too. You can find some other imported brands at the Asian grocery stores. Some are really outstanding. High in protein, low in carbs.

Market names

Patagonian tooth fish = Chilean sea bass
Bay Scallops = skate wing plugs
Pacific Red Snapper = rock fish or rock cod
Langastino (lobster at some chains) = tuna crab
orange roughy = slimehead

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show